It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1887 Report: Fallen UFO is Blue Metallic Sphere

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Good Day diablomonic,

Originally posted by diablomonic
It may be possible to identify, at least partially, the metal used in this thing, from the emission spectra info given in the article . . . it would go a long way to validating this story.

Excellent input, and the mark of a good researcher . . . bravo!

Cheers,
Frank

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Good Day Mark,

[Playing devil's advocate]

Originally posted by Mark Roazhar
There doesnt seem to be any other material on this article anywhere.

No follow up, no corresponding articles, no repsonse by Smithsonian, no Dr Seyer demanding his ball back. No pictures.

I had never seen "this article" until I found it the other day, and I look. Moreover, I haven't looked for any follow-up. Important to note that the article according to the The Quincy Daily Whig came from the Chicago Tribune and of course the story originates from "Georgia"; presumably there was something written there.

Additionally, the article states that the object "would be sent" to the Smithsonian, not that it was.

Even the reporter hasnt actually seen it and is reporting what they've heard

As for the chemist stating "it is a new element", no new elements were reported around that point in time (the next elements added to the table in 1898)

I say Very Olde Hoax

I might point out that had Stan Friedman not gone to Louisiana in 1978, and heard the name of Jesse Marcel, and then track him down, no one would have heard of Roswell either (other then being a sleepy little town in New Mexico).

"Absence of Evidence is not Evidence of Absence"

Cheers,
Frank

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by LateApexer313[
[edit on 31-3-2008 by LateApexer313]

PS. If I had found the object, they would have had to pry it from my cold dead fingers!

[edit on 31-3-2008 by LateApexer313]

Maybe you should be thankful that you didnt find it; they would have pried it from your cold dead fingers without batting an eyelid; if that would prevent it from being publicized, you know how they are...whoever they are.
I think we can safely assume that there are countless objects that HAVE been taken from some poor person's cold dead fingers. We all know the policy of todays governments...

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 12:09 PM
link   
A depiction of what the good doctor stated was inscribed and resembled on the blue sphere:

members.aol.com...

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Found this at: users.skynet.be...

It's too long to post entirely but you can find the article a bit more than halfway to the bottom. Note the date discrepancy and the flippant tone.

1897, avant le 8 avril [1887, before April 8th]

USA? Clayton (Georgia)

(1887 08 04 Brooklyn Daily Eagle ) A New Industry for Georgia.
The State of Georgia has developed a remarkable amount of energy and enterprise since the war, and to its large and varied industries has been added another - that of eliminating from the earth cannon balls with pictures on them. It happened the other night, shortly before 8 o'clock, that Dr. Seyers, of Clayton, Ga., was jogging homeward in his one hoss shay after a visit to a patient, when he was dazzled by a white flash succeeded by a dull, sickening thud. There had been a league game somewhere in Pennsylvania that day and the doctor, supposing that it was merely one of Mike Kelly's "hot" balls that had dropped in his path, gave no thought to the matter and was about to resume his journey when he heard the projectile letting off steam. On the spot where it had fallen the ground was torn up and was smoking, so he hastened home, got a shovel, returned and extracted from the soil, at a depth of five foot, a --- the reader is probably expecting that the continuation of this sentence will be box of Leveridge's Liver Lobulets or cake of Krikburn's Kyanite Soap, or at least a meteor; but, no, the physician found neither of these.
The object was hot and heavy....

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frank Warren
Good Day SecretGoldfish,

Cheers,
Frank

cheers and good day to you as well.

i think the type of energy you'll see w/ a 5' impact depth will leave more than a 4" entry hole in any soil type. but i'm not a soil sciences guy so i won't belabor the issue.

there were some really wacky newspaper accounts from this era. like this on:

On April 23, 1897, a Kansas newspaper, the Yates Center Farmer's Advocate, reported an incredible story. On the evening of April 19, local rancher Alexander Hamilton, his son, and a hired man saw a giant cigar-shaped UFO hovering above a corral near the house. Hamilton claimed that in a carriage underneath the structure were "six of the strangest beings I ever saw." Just then, the three men heard a calf bawling and found it trapped in the fence, a rope around its neck extending upward. "We tried to get it off but could not," Hamilton said, "so we cut the wire loose to see the ship, heifer and all, rise slowly, disappearing in the northwest."

the farmer later admitted it was part of some liar's competition. i've read better reports of it but didn't bookmark them unfortunately:

science.howstuffworks.com...

this one has always left my head well scratched . . .

Eighteen ninety-six was marked by a strange occurrence, an amazing phenomenon that those that saw it probably never forgot. People, by the thousands, living across North America, from San Francisco to Chicago, observed strange lights in the sky. The lights, reportedly an airship, crossed the continent from west to east while the country watched.

The excitement started on November 17, 1896 in Sacramento, California. It was a rainy, dismal night. Then, through the dark clouds, appeared a bright light. It moved slowly west appearing to be about a thousand feet above the rooftops. Hundreds of people saw the light including George Scott, an assistant to the Secretary of State of California.

especially THIS part of it . . .

The most detailed report of the evening came from one R.L. Lowery, a former street railway employee who said he heard a voice from above call, "Throw her up higher; she'll hit the steeple." When he looked up he saw two men seated on a bicycle-like frame, peddling. Above them was a "cigar-shaped body of some length." Lowery said that the thing also had "wheels at the side like the side wheels on Fulton's old steam boat."

huh? ok.

www.unmuseum.org...

that sacramento sighting and the following sighting in SF the next night are a real mishmash of what sound like level-headed reports and, well, cow lassos and tandem bicycle slash fulton steamboat balloons. which kinds of describes a good chunk of sightings from the late 19th century into the 20th century. which, in turn, is why i always have a soft spot for reports from this period. they're so damn entertaining.

i mean i've read newspaper accounts of farmers seeing naked aliens outside their craft making repairs, farmer's thwarting abduction attempts on their comely daughters, and ufo's crashing into water towers. the 1890's were a very eclectic era for ufo reports. how can you not love it?

this sphere comes from that decade, so i'm kind of lumping it in with the yellow journalism reports, maybe unfairly, but based on some red flags i see here.

still a great report i had never seen before. keep digging these things up, they're always much appreciated.

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Great story, It must be the real deal because of the date... How many blue projectiles where falling in rural GA in the 1800's? I'd say a manhunt for the blue ball is in order... a tall order!

Unfortunately, the whistle has been blown on the topic, giving the goverment time to send their Men in Black to the museum to steal & hide the evidence... just like the 'Windmill' alien grave yard case. Another missed op.. My recomendation? - Don't broadcast until you have it in your hands!

[edit on 31-3-2008 by Level X]

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 02:23 PM
link   
I was also under the impression this was cannon ball or some ball bearing that turned blue from the heat. The circle and the star made me think of the US marshals and a cannon ball. And there are other similar tabloid stories. And the idea he was actually able to file any metal off of something that supposedly came to earth and remained this way isn't likely and even if it had, these would have been any materials that were stuck to it after it struck the earth.

There are some other stories of alien visitors who supposedly met up with the US Marshals and the alleged double cross by them. Wasn't there one about some alien object brought to some fort also?

Maybe this is why some aliens hate the military and federal officers?

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by PersonFromPorlock

I searched for ages and could not find a corresponding report! Good find!

Have a star

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Hi Frank...

I find this subject very interesting as a researcher. One of the current areas that I hang out at in California is Sonora. Not only have I and an associate Dr. Mark Olson ("Visitors: California UFO Wave" and Dan Ackroyd's "Unplugged On Ufos" DVD) captured on video a number of interesting aerial phenomena, but it seems that the area has had a history dating back to the mid 1800's of "lighter than air" craft being observed. Keep in mind that this was supposedly taking place during the Gold-Rush (where Sonora is right-smack-dab in the middle on HiWay-49). ( sidenote: The TV program "UFO Hunters" is heading up to Sonora to film a segment for the History Channel)

Legend has it that Charles Dellschau (1830-1923) was the draftsman for the secret Sonora Aero Club, a collective of 60 or so mostly German immigrants who reportedly constructed dirigible like aircraft in California in the 1850's. One club member was said to have discovered "suppe" -- the magic antigravity fuel alleged to have lifted the craft. There were sightings of these 'airships', tenuously linked back to the club, up to the end of the 20th century.
Dellschau, described variously as butcher, inventor, civil war spy, scientist and America's first visionary artist, retired at age 70 in Texas and spent the last 2 decades of his life as a recluse, producing mixed media art works that record the craft and workings of the fabled Sonora Aero Club. They are accompanied by cryptic symbols, newsprint about aircraft and detailed notebooks and were salvaged from the garbage in 1967.

Now in regards to possibly an advanced man living before what we commonly believe. I think there have been a number of strange things that have turned up in areas that they shouldn't be (if you believe what current history teaches us).

Man-made objects in rock

Found in California, a rock was cracked open in search of fossils. But instead of a fossil, out fell a very strange object. The rock came from a formation that had been dated at around half a million years old. In the picture below on the right is an x-ray of the object. It is composed of a ceramic material and metal. In some respects it resembles a modern spark plug.

Thousands of spiral, screw-like objects have been unearthed over the past 20 years by gold miners in the Ural Mountains in Russia. These metal items have been found at depths from 3 to 40 feet. The layer which contains the spiral shaped objects consists of gravel deposits which have been dated at up to 100,000 years of age. These are obviously manmade objects manufactured to a high degree of sophistication.

An iron nail was found in rock in a Peruvian mine by Spanish conquistadores (in 1572). An iron nail was discovered in a Cretaceous block of stone from the Mesozoic era (mid-1800s). A gold thread was found in stone in England (in 1844). An iron nail was found in quartz in California (in 1851). A silver vessel was extracted from solid rock in Massachusetts (in 1851). An intricately carved and inlaid metal bowl was found in a piece of stone (in 1852).

In June 1851 Scientific American reprinted a report from the Boston Transcript about a metallic vase, found in two parts, that was dynamited out of solid rock, about 15 feet below the surface in Dorchester, Massachusetts. The bell-shaped vase, made from a zinc and silver alloy, was 6 inches high. On the sides were figures of flowers in bouquet arrangements, inlaid with pure silver. The estimated age of the rock out of which it came was 100,000 years.

On June 22, 1844, a report appeared in the London Times to the effect that some workmen quarrying rock close to the Tweed about a quarter of a mile below Rutherford-mill, discovered a gold thread embedded in the stone at a depth of eight feet. Dr. A. W. Medd of the British Geological Survey wrote in 1985 that this stone was of Early Carboniferous age between 320 and 360 million years old.

In 1851, in Whiteside County, Illinois two copper artefacts, a hook and a ring, were brought up during the drilling of a well from a sand stratum 120 feet deep. The stratum was dated at 150,000 years old.

A two-inch metal screw was discovered in 1865 in a piece of feldspar unearthed from the Abbey Mine in Treasure City, Nevada. The screw had long ago oxidized, but its form, particularly the shape of its threads, could be clearly seen in the feldspar. The stone was calculated to be 21 million years in age.

Ancient constructions

In 1869, in the December 17 issue of The Los Angeles News it was reported that a smooth slate wall covered with strange alphabetic writing had been discovered in a coalmine. The letters were raised and well defined. When chiselled away, the coal that had covered the wall bore their distinct impression, which confirmed that the wall dated to a time when the coal was formed. The coal was from the Carboniferous era, well over 200 million years old.

In 1891, close to Cleveland, Tennessee a length of wall was discovered which extended for about a thousand feet. It was on average 2 feet thick and 8 feet high, with numerous projections spaced along the top every 30 feet or so. Its position dated it geologically to over a million years old. The wall was composed of red sandstone blocks. Along one stretch of wall a number of the sandstone blocks were covered with the hieroglyphs of a mysterious language. All together, 872 individual characters were recorded.

While shot blasting a coal seam in 1928, a miner found, among the dislodged coal, blocks of concrete about a foot across. The faces of the blocks were highly polished. The remainder of the wall disappeared into the coal seam. A second miner working a coal face about 100 yards away struck what seemed to be the same wall. Another coal miner in West Virginia claimed miners had found a well constructed concrete building.

On June 27 in 1969, workmen cutting into a rock shelf situated on the Broadway Extension of 122nd Street, between Edmond and Oklahoma City, found an inlaid tile floor 3 feet below the surface, and covering several thousand square feet. A form of mortar was found between the tiles. It was dated at 200,000 years old.

So one has to ask, how did these things occur in the "history" that we are taught?

Johnny

[edit on 1-4-2008 by JohnnyAnonymous]

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Good Day PersonFromPorlock,

Originally posted by PersonFromPorlock
Found this at: users.skynet.be...

It's too long to post entirely but you can find the article a bit more than halfway to the bottom. Note the date discrepancy and the flippant tone.

1897, avant le 8 avril [1887, before April 8th]

USA? Clayton (Georgia)

(1887 08 04 Brooklyn Daily Eagle ) A New Industry for Georgia.

Great find! Not just the article but the link as well. That enabled me to locate the "actual article" for my archives which I posted here.

Cheers,
Frank

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Good Day SecretGoldfish,

Originally posted by SecretGoldfish

Originally posted by Frank Warren
Good Day SecretGoldfish,

Cheers,
Frank

cheers and good day to you as well.

i think the type of energy you'll see w/ a 5' impact depth will leave more than a 4" entry hole in any soil type. but i'm not a soil sciences guy so i won't belabor the issue.

there were some really wacky newspaper accounts from this era. like this on:

On April 23, 1897, a Kansas newspaper, the Yates Center Farmer's Advocate, reported an incredible story. On the evening of April 19, local rancher Alexander Hamilton, his son, and a hired man saw a giant cigar-shaped UFO hovering above a corral near the house . . ..

this one has always left my head well scratched . . .

Eighteen ninety-six was marked by a strange occurrence, an amazing phenomenon that those that saw it probably never forgot. People, by the thousands, living across North America, from San Francisco to Chicago, observed strange lights in the sky. The lights, reportedly an airship, crossed the continent from west to east while the country watched . . ..

especially THIS part of it . . .

The most detailed report of the evening came from one R.L. Lowery, a former street railway employee who said he heard a voice from above call, "Throw her up higher; she'll hit the steeple." When he looked up he saw two men seated on a bicycle-like frame, peddling. Above them was a "cigar-shaped body of some length." Lowery said that the thing also had "wheels at the side like the side wheels on Fulton's old steam boat."

huh? ok.

www.unmuseum.org...

that sacramento sighting and the following sighting in SF the next night are a real mishmash of what sound like level-headed reports and, well, cow lassos and tandem bicycle slash fulton steamboat balloons. which kinds of describes a good chunk of sightings from the late 19th century into the 20th century. which, in turn, is why i always have a soft spot for reports from this period. they're so damn entertaining.

i mean i've read newspaper accounts of farmers seeing naked aliens outside their craft making repairs, farmer's thwarting abduction attempts on their comely daughters, and ufo's crashing into water towers. the 1890's were a very eclectic era for ufo reports. how can you not love it?

this sphere comes from that decade, so i'm kind of lumping it in with the yellow journalism reports, maybe unfairly, but based on some red flags i see here.

still a great report i had never seen before. keep digging these things up, they're always much appreciated.

The "Airship phenomenon" of 1896-97 was international; there were many reports in Canada as well as Mexico. I have no doubt that some "creative" writers took liberties re "yellow journalism"; however, that doesn't account for all of the reports coast to coast, or country to country, and I believe them to be in the minority in this instance.

Additionally, the Bay Area papers made light of the reports from Sacramento until the UFO (Airship) appeared there, and the reporting became more sober in nature.

History has taught us that societies (initially) often criticize phenomenon that goes beyond established conventional thinking--there is always a "cognitive bias" in place.

Cheers,
Frank

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Good Mornin' Johnny!

I find this subject very interesting as a researcher. One of the current areas that I hang out at in California is Sonora. Not only have I and an associate Dr. Mark Olson ("Visitors: California UFO Wave" and Dan Ackroyd's "Unplugged On Ufos" DVD) captured on video a number of interesting aerial phenomena, but it seems that the area has had a history dating back to the mid 1800's of "lighter than air" craft being observed. Keep in mind that this was supposedly taking place during the Gold-Rush (where Sonora is right-smack-dab in the middle on HiWay-49). ( sidenote: The TV program "UFO Hunters" is heading up to Sonora to film a segment for the History Channel)

Legend has it that Charles Dellschau (1830-1923) was the draftsman for the secret Sonora Aero Club, a collective of 60 or so mostly German immigrants who reportedly constructed dirigible like aircraft in California in the 1850's. One club member was said to have discovered "suppe" -- the magic antigravity fuel alleged to have lifted the craft. There were sightings of these 'airships', tenuously linked back to the club, up to the end of the 20th century.
Dellschau, described variously as butcher, inventor, civil war spy, scientist and America's first visionary artist, retired at age 70 in Texas and spent the last 2 decades of his life as a recluse, producing mixed media art works that record the craft and workings of the fabled Sonora Aero Club . . ..

Interesting . . . although I've corresponded with Mark in the past, and have spent considerable time researching the "Airship sightings of 1896-97," I wasn't aware of the "Sonora Aero Club."

Experimentation with hydrogen of course was known in those times, and if the "legend" is true methinks the "suppe" is in fact that element.

Work on airships on the other hand started much earlier then people realize, with patents dating back to the early 19th century (for ships and related parts etc). There were successful test flights (tethered) in Burlingame as early as 1869.

Talk of the "Sonora Aero Club" reminds me of Lyman Gilmore who many in the "gold country" believe predated the "Wright Brothers in flight." (He owned several gold mines as well).

Now in regards to possibly an advanced man living before what we commonly believe. I think there have been a number of strange things that have turned up in areas that they shouldn't be (if you believe what current history teaches us) . . ..

So one has to ask, how did these things occur in the "history" that we are taught?

Johnny

The instances you cite, as well as many more would seem to indicate that there are "flaws in what we are taught" . . .

Cheers,
Frank

P.S. Sorry to hear that UFO Hunters is headed to see Mark; hopefully they won't "distort" his efforts.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join