It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Questions for Christians

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 02:17 AM
link   
1) Why does god demand the death of so many innocent people in the bible?

Eg..
Exodus 35:2
Deuteronomy 21:18-21
Leviticus 20:13
Deuteronomy 22:13-21 etc

2) Why is the Bible so anti-scientific?

3) Why is god such a huge proponent of slavery in the bible?

Eg…
Exodus 21:20-21
Colossians 3:22-24
Ephesians 6:5 etc

4) Why didn’t any of Jesus’ miracles in the bible leave behind any evidence?

5) Why would Jesus want you to eat his body and drink his blood?

6) Why do Christians get divorced at the same rate as non-Christians?

For anyone else with questions for Christians, ask away….

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 02:33 AM
link   
reply to post by andre18

I think you should seek and ask God these questions yourself. The Christian Faith is an interpretation and belief in and of God and his Son Jesus. To assume that any human would assume to know what Gods thoughts or reasons are would be arrogant in the least. I think that there are a number of ways you can approach the info from the Bible and Jesus. You can take them literally, or contemplate it in more metaphorical contex. I am not sure what you mean by Anti-scientific.
It could be said that the new testament is proof of Jesus' miracles......i am sure he would have loved to have made a DVD of his greatest Miracle hits for us all to watch but we all know that scientific knowledge required was not really available those days.

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 06:05 AM
link   
you've asked some interesting questions there, i am a christian so i will atttempt to answer them but i don't think you'll like the answers you get.

Originally posted by andre18

as a christian, i take jesus' word to be above the word of the old testament. he has a few interesting things to say on the subject of sin and the death penalty. he said "let he who is without sin cast the first stone" and he also said "judge not lest ye be judged by the same measure". this indicates to me that the passages in the old testament that speak of the death penalty are misinterpretations of the word of god by man.
as a christian i believe these teachings are wrong because jesus thaught that these teachings were wrong.

it isn't, it doesn't contain any teachings on science because when it was written science hadn't been invented.

again, you must remember that before jesus, as christians believe, the word of god came to us through a human filter so the answer will always be because it was the cultural norm at the time, however jesus promised them a good place in heaven when he said "the first shall be last and the last shall be first", also he said "Blessed are those servants, whom the lord will find watching when he comes. Most assuredly I tell you, that he will dress himself, and make them recline, and will come and serve them." also remember that servants were slaves but were uasually treated quite well in roman times, it wasn't slavery as you understand it.

because jesus' miracles were earthly ones, he fed the hungry and healed the sick and raised the dead, would you expect evidence of these miricles and if so, what?

he didn't, he wanted us to eat bread and drink wine that symbolized his body and blood. it is an act of remembrance. it had quite a bit of significance to those at the last supper, to do with eating the flesh of a sacrifice etc. but it is a difficult concept to grasp and i'm not sure you actually want me to explain it to you.

because they are human, jesus didn't agree with it but there are few of us that are able to live by all the teachings of jesus all the time. christians can't be expected to be perfect.

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 06:59 AM
link   

The Old Testament which was pre-Jesus or "pre-the saviour'. What that meant was that at the time there was no redemption for people. They sinned and they died, be it an earthly death or eternal death didn't matter to God. He was the eternal Judge and had to fulfill his role, until Jesus. Jesus died to save the sins of the earth and in doing so lifted the role of eternal judge from God's shoulders.

Originally posted by andre182) Why is the Bible so anti-scientific?

It is a book based on faith. Please be a little more specific in your question.

Originally posted by andre183) Why is god such a huge proponent of slavery in the bible?

I will echo the idea of slavery meaning something very different to now. Look at the verses from the perspective of you being a slave (worker) and your owner is your boss. God says to obey them and do as they say, exactly right, do as your boss says which means you get paid. Better workers get promoted.

Originally posted by andre184) Why didn’t any of Jesus’ miracles in the bible leave behind any evidence?

I do not understand what you expected him to do. They were all humanitarian miracles, miracles which helped His fellow man. He did leave behind evidence, the accounts of his miracles and the beauty of his story, which if followed the way he meant it, we would live in a beautiful world.

Originally posted by andre185) Why would Jesus want you to eat his body and drink his blood?

It was a metaphor, his body was represented as bread and wine as blood. It basically meant for us ingest Him and his teachings and have a part of Him in us which in turn if we understand the true teachings and beauty of the imagery should have the same tolerance for our fellow man.

Originally posted by andre186) Why do Christians get divorced at the same rate as non-Christians?

This is my opinion.

Simple answer, SEX!

Christian are taught abstinence. Once a couple falls in love, they believe they are meant to be, rush into marriage in order to have guilt free sex. They rarely take the correct time to really know the person.

[edit on 30/3/2008 by SilentShadow]

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Ughhh this is getting disgusting. Christians are not the cause of the worlds problems. You want to know the answer to those questions. Because christians are humans and are not perfect. Christians make mistakes like everyone else. We get it you don't like christian ideas. Where is the conspiracy!?

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Eg..

I have a hard time believing you are sincere with these questions. Not because it isn't a good question but because I have already answered you on this extensively in another thread. This shows me yet again you are not really looking for answers.

It isn't 'anti-scientific.' It does mention a good deal of science. The thing is, the Bible is a religious book- not a science journal. Why isn't the Koran scientific? Why aren't the Vedic Writings scientific? Why isn't the Book of Mormon scientific? Oh I know! Because they are religious, not scientific, texts. Not 'anti-science' or even silent of scientific matters. They simply are not scientific works.

Eg…

I'll just copy and paste what I wrote above:

I have a hard time believing you are sincere with these questions. Not because it isn't a good question but because I have already answered you on this extensively in another thread. This shows me yet again you are not really looking for answers.

Like what? His walking on water? There was just a press release on this today as a matter of fact! They took clay imprints of His footprints that still exist on the Sea of Galilee today. Or the healing of the sick? There are a few people still alive from 1st century A.D. who will gladly give you a first hand account concerning their healing. The feeding of the multitude with a few fish? How do you think Long John Silver's remains so profitable?! They found the baskets Jesus used and simply pull the magical fish and bread out of the baskets. Easy 100% profit!

I'll answer this one seriously since it is the first time you've asked it. It is a spiritual metaphor for accepting His sacrifice for our sins.

Probably because they're human and face the same trials as everyone else.

But what is the conspiracy? This seems just like a regular discussion on the faith.

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Concerning the flesh eating and blood drinking, the passover lamb was to be eaten by everyone who was to be passed over. Unless one drinks the blood, how could it possibly be applied to the door post of one's house?

Of course as it's written in the law, only the circumcised can participate in this feast.

If any of his hearers at the time and now also had known the law, they would have known him. However the vast majority of them were more up to date on their traditions of men, than the truth of GOD. The same is true today.

Just that simple statement alone should have proved that he is to those who knew the law. Only Shiloh could have made such a statement.

Concerning the removal of the people who the land wasn't given to, one would need to go back and look at the blessings and curses as they were handed out. To various individual men and their offspring. Starting with Shem, Canaan, Japheth. On down to Abraham and Isaac and Jacob. Esau and his offspring. That covers a ton of it right there.

These blessings and curses are literally spoken into genetic lines and reproduced, like the 120 year lifespan.

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Eg..

You didn't cite any examples of innocent people, only guilty people. It's a little-known concept called justice.

In what way is it anti-scientific?

Eg

There is a difference between the modern conception of slavery and the biblical term. 'Slavery' tends to conjure images of Africans being whipped and forced to work by white Southerners. In biblical times, a person would become a slave usually because they had a large debt for which they would have to 'sell themselves.' A better term would be servant. In these circumstances, it would be Christian to obey their master.

4) Why didnt any of Jesus miracles in the bible leave behind any evidence?

What evidence do you expect to be left behind?

#5 and 6 have been explained thoroughly already.

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Eg..

how does breaking god´s law make you innocent?

bible says the world is round when others believed it was flat

isa 40:[22] It is he that sitteth upon the circle of the earth, and the inhabitants thereof are as grasshoppers; that stretcheth out the heavens as a curtain, and spreadeth them out as a tent to dwell in:

hare is a chewer of cud, this was debated for a long time until it was actually observed by willian cowper in the 18th century

lev 11:[6] And the hare, because he cheweth the cud, but divideth not the hoof; he is unclean unto you.

DNA?

psalms 139: [16] Thine eyes did see my substance, yet being unperfect; and in thy book all my members were written, which in continuance were fashioned, when as yet there was none of them.

Eg…

not proponent, regulator.

in fact there is a law that says you cannot make a man your slave

exodus 21:[16] And he that stealeth a man, and selleth him, or if he be found in his hand, he shall surely be put to death.

slavery in isreal was a far different thing than it is today, laws god put for slavery were to protect the slaves.

exodus 21:[26] And if a man smite the eye of his servant, or the eye of his maid, that it perish; he shall let him go free for his eye's sake.
[27] And if he smite out his manservant's tooth, or his maidservant's tooth; he shall let him go free for his tooth's sake.

lev 22:[10] There shall no stranger eat of the holy thing: a sojourner of the priest, or an hired servant, shall not eat of the holy thing.
[11] But if the priest buy any soul with his money, he shall eat of it, and he that is born in his house: they shall eat of his meat.

duet 21:[10] When thou goest forth to war against thine enemies, and the LORD thy God hath delivered them into thine hands, and thou hast taken them captive,
[11] And seest among the captives a beautiful woman, and hast a desire unto her, that thou wouldest have her to thy wife;
[12] Then thou shalt bring her home to thine house; and she shall shave her head, and pare her nails;
[13] And she shall put the raiment of her captivity from off her, and shall remain in thine house, and bewail her father and her mother a full month: and after that thou shalt go in unto her, and be her husband, and she shall be thy wife.
[14] And it shall be, if thou have no delight in her, then thou shalt let her go whither she will; but thou shalt not sell her at all for money, thou shalt not make merchandise of her, because thou hast humbled her.

exodus 21: [2] If thou buy an Hebrew servant, six years he shall serve: and in the seventh he shall go out free for nothing.

provisions were even made if the slave liked it there!

exodus 21:[5] And if the servant shall plainly say, I love my master, my wife, and my children; I will not go out free:
[6] Then his master shall bring him unto the judges; he shall also bring him to the door, or unto the door post; and his master shall bore his ear through with an aul; and he shall serve him for ever.

fact is, slavery in the bible was not slavery today.

what evidence are you looking for?

1 corinth 11:[23] For I have received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you, That the Lord Jesus the same night in which he was betrayed took bread:
[24] And when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me.
[25] After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me.

other translations say this means my body, since cannibalism is forbiden by the law, it is more likely that the bread and wine represent christ body and blood, not are.

as for why, well the scriptures say why.

because christians are just as imperfect as everyone else

new topics

top topics

join