It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Girl Succumbs to Cancer After Visit From Inmate Dad

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Jayci Yeager's last wish was to see her father who was serving time for a drug charge. The case is unusual in that the father is now held in a minimum security facility and was entitled to family visits and furloughs, especially under extreme circumstances.

It wasn't until Bill O'Reilly and the general public got involved that the girl's last wish was granted and she died only hours after seeing her father.

I think that the system screwed up on this one, but the fact remains that when people break the law, they are affecting the lives of their families and the community and this point should be the primary lesson to be taken from this situation.

A 10-year-old girl died of brain cancer early this morning, shortly after receiving what her family said was her dying wish -- a visit from her incarcerated father.

"She was holding on to see her father," Ed Yaeger said of his niece Jayci Yaeger.

Jayci's father, Jason Charles Yaeger, is serving the final year of a five-year sentence for a drug conviction in a minimum security prison camp in South Dakota, a 3½-hour drive from his daughter who was in hospice care in Lincoln, Neb.

Officials, however, had denied Jason Charles Yaeger's repeated requests for a furlough so he could spend more time with his daughter, who suffered from terminal brain cancer.

abcnews.go.com...

[edit on 2008/3/28 by GradyPhilpott]

apc

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 05:55 PM
link   
What about when it's a BS law? The system worked perfectly. So long as one recognizes that the system by its nature is broken.

I heard about this prior to the furlough being granted. Disappointing but of course not surprising. I'm glad compassion finally prevailed.

[edit on 28-3-2008 by apc]

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 11:34 AM
link   
I mean that it shouldn't have taken such a public outcry to get the visit approved, insofar as the program that the father is in, provided for those kinds of privileges during his last year in prison.

In the end, justice was served.

join