It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sterilise parents receiving government benefits, says Tory

page: 9
<< 6  7  8   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by palehorse23

fair point, we are all entitled to our opinion i guess, but i remain extremely annoyed at the way people reacted, and if you really want me to scour through and start quoting people i will, but i felt there were to many to do this hence the sum up!

Speaking from personal experience the benefits system is not as cut and dry as, get your self together and get off benefit! there are a thousand issues and stories i could start discussing but to be fair this isn't a thread about that, it's a thread about the fact that
1, somebody thinks it's ok to even suggest taking away peoples basic human rights and 2, other people agree!!

i have been visiting this site regularly for the past couple of weeks and have had some really great conversations with some really great people, the subject of "social status" had not yet come up and when i read this thread i was so disgusted with what people were saying i did at that time wonder how i had come to be here, so yeah, i said that in anger but i stand by everything else i said.

have you ever been too sick to work? have you ever had to struggle for money, know what it's like to live on a council estate? been turned down for a job? been judged by others because of where you live or what you can or can not afford?

i really don't want to argue and i'm not coming back to this thread after this post as it's vexing me too much, but one last thing...

for everyones information, and before people start wondering if their taxes are paying for my internet connection, i have a job now and am no longer "sponging" off the government, but the fact is i was sick for a long time, and the person who made this statement in the first place said it to me as well as thousands of other people who are struggling, so excuse me for taking it so personally, and in reality if someone said that to my face i'm afraid i might get violent, another stereotypical side effect of being a council estate dweller!!

being on benefit is not always a choice, and once you are trapped within the system it is not as easy as you might think to simply walk out, we all have bills to pay, and on a site like this where people talk of aliens, government conspiracies etc i just can't believe people are so closed minded to seriously think this is ok

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by realism
have you ever been too sick to work? have you ever had to struggle for money, know what it's like to live on a council estate? been turned down for a job? been judged by others because of where you live or what you can or can not afford?

I totally agree with you...it's a long hard road back to some sense of normality and humanity after you become entrapped in the benefits system, and unless you have direct experience of living though it, it's just something that many cannot understand.

It's not just as simple as 'getting a job'...once the welfare system has you dependant and you are economically fighting for your survival it's as hard as kicking a class 'A' drug habit to get out and get on up

[edit on 1-4-2008 by citizen smith]

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Excellent points Maxmars and Realism

The question i'd like to pose is this...how as a society do we help ourselves to help those in need in this situation?

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Agreed, 1000%!

As an aside, if you were close to that level of poverty I'm going to assume that you are no longer. To that I say congratulations to you for both the blessing of regaining your footing and for coming away with a healthy viewpoint on this topic. My grandmother and her mother lived in the projects when I was younger because she lost almost everything paying for my grandfathers cancer care. Also, there's a guy back home called Leroy, everyone calls him the can man because he spends all day (6 days a week) walking up and down the river picking up cans and cleaning the area (all volunteer mind you as he's retired on social security). Now, because he sells the cans at the recycling center some uppity wealthy bas...well let's just say jerk, don't want to get moderated...reported him to both the IRS and Social Security Administration because of the approximately 200 bucks a month he gets from the cans. Now he's not getting anything from SSA and he owes back taxes!!! On Aluminum can sales!!! It's a crazy world.

If more people could get past the point of blindly toeing the party line when it comes to issues and start formulating their own opinions and looking at each individual issue rationally vice partisan-ly then the world would truly be a better place. When you argue for sterilization (in this case as an example) based solely on a right wing stance or against control of "benefits" based solely on what liberals are saying you're more sheep than the sheeple you bash! (oh, by the way I'm not specifically calling anyone out, just saying)

The above is not meant as a direct reference to nor an ideological attack on anyone posting on this particular topic, my humble apologies if anyone took offense but in my line of work you get to see both sides of everything, especially in an election year....lol

[edit on 1-4-2008 by Apex Predator]

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by citizen smith
Excellent points Maxmars and Realism

The question i'd like to pose is this...how as a society do we help ourselves to help those in need in this situation?

Thank you kindly, I have been pondering this very thing all day. I think I may have a suggestion that won't cause our local civilizations to collapse, but it's late and I will soon become a pumpkin ... oh well, tomorrow's another day.

Peace

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by realism

I can relate. And let me tell you some people simply have bad luck. People might think they are dumb because of their grades, but in reality, if they went to a good school, had a more simple, happy life, they would have had A's non stop.

Life is about getting through our struggles, and learning from it, people in hard times may end up more clever and mature because of the things they have learnt about life.

Peace.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 11:45 PM
link   
reply to post by palehorse23

Considering we have one foot in the next great the depression and the other foot on a banana peel , anyone who does not own a brinks truck full of gold should be violently opposed to the idea of sterilizing the poor. A study was done I forget by whom that indicated that poor uneducated women who had a child out of wed lock earned more money and had better jobs over the course of their life times than the equally poor equally uneducated women who were able to escape pregnancy. It would be long term foolish to sterilize people who were only temporarily poor. Children motivate their parents to earn money and spend money to buy their toys. This is good for the government. Without children many poor people would not even bother to get out of bed in the morning.

top topics

<< 6  7  8   >>

join