It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Electoral reform on the horizon

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 06:26 PM
link   

A significant overhaul of electoral legislation to give voters a second vote, open polling stations at weekends and make it compulsory to participate is being proposed by the government to increase turnout and improve the legitimacy of the Commons.

Ministers will begin a consultation effort on the plan after local elections in May, and hope the measures will increase the authority of MPs and reduce voter disengagement. In the 2005 general election, only 61% of those eligible participated. Under the alternative voting system, ballot papers would allow for a second preference vote which would be redistributed from the lowest-scoring candidate's share until one candidate has more than 50% of the vote.

Source: The Guardian

In addition, the House of Lords will be elected by proportional representation it seems.

Whilst I'm not an advocate of electoral reform for the Commons, this idea does seem interesting and I don't automatically dislike it. I'm not keen on Lords reforms (I would prefer it if it was a truly neutral, independent second chamber with no parties involved at all) but they are tolerable I suppose.

new topics

join