It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Iran behind Iraq Green Zone Attack'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 02:53 PM
link   

'Iran behind Iraq Green Zone Attack'

news.bbc.co.uk

Gen David Petraeus told the BBC he thought Tehran had trained, equipped and funded insurgents who fired the barrage of mortars and rockets.

He said Iran was adding what he described as "lethal accelerants" to a very combustible mix.

There has as yet been no response from Iran to the accusations.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 02:53 PM
link   
AAAAHAHAHAHA!!!! AND HERE WE GO....

Now with Fallon out of the way, everything in the region is going to be attributed to 'Iran'. This is becoming so predictable and transparent.

No time at all until we're neck deep in another train-wreck. The agendas have all been set into place firmly.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 03:55 PM
link   
I've highlighted the keywords in the following quotes from the article:

Gen David Petraeus told the BBC he thought Tehran had trained, equipped and funded insurgents who fired the barrage of mortars and rockets...

..."The rockets that were launched at the Green Zone yesterday, for example... were Iranian-provided, Iranian-made rockets," he said, adding that the groups that fired them were funded and trained by the Quds Force.

From the WSJ:

March 24, 2008 3:52 p.m.

BAGHDAD -- The U.S. military blamed Iranian-backed Shiite militia factions on Monday for a spate of rocket attacks that struck the Green Zone and surrounding areas, a day after the overall U.S. death toll in the five-year conflict rose to 4,000.

President Bush marked the deaths of 4,000 U.S. forces in Iraq, saying that their sacrifices have "laid the foundation for peace for generations to come."
Source | Wall Street Journal | U.S. Blames Shiite Militias For Green Zone Attacks

"Peace for generations to come."

Yeah, the peace of the dead!

More:

"You regret every casualty, every loss," Vice President Dick Cheney said. "The president is the one that has to make that decision to send young men and women into harm's way. It never gets any easier."
Source | Wall Street Journal | U.S. Blames Shiite Militias For Green Zone Attacks

"Of course, no one's ever said I lose any sleep over it," he snarled, under his breath. "Who wants to go fishing?"

Yeah, cry those crocodile tears you heartless chickenhawks.

These tools are gonna have they way with Iran, come hell or high water.

Although the hell will come after...

[edit on 24-3-2008 by goosdawg]

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 04:08 PM
link   
I hope it doesn't turn into another fiasco like the last time we sent troops into Iran during the American Embassy crisis.

We sent in troops to extract the hostages, but most of our guys ended up with their heads stuck on posts in front of the Embassy as a warning. It was a gruesome sight to behold.

[edit on 3/24/08 by LLoyd45]

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 04:12 PM
link   
These hawks are relentless, aren't they? It's as though if they simply keep repeating that Iran is responsible, the accusation will acquire some legitimacy and stick.

What doesn't get reported - at least, not by the mainstream media - is that the US is working with organisations they themselves have classified as 'terrosits' in order to destablise Iran. Is it really such a stretch of the imagination to see that these groups could well be responsible for these attacks, and that they were acting at the behest of the US? It is, after all, a tried and tested method.

Every time I hear of some alleged Iranian or Iranian-sponsored wrongdoing, I'm reminded of the words of Zbigniew Brzezinski, the former National Security Advisor under President Carter.

If the United States continues to be bogged down in a protracted bloody involvement in Iraq, the final destination on this downhill track is likely to be a head-on conflict with Iran and with much of the world of Islam at large. A plausible scenario for a military collision with Iran involves Iraqi failure to meet the benchmarks; followed by accusations of Iranian responsibility for the failure; then by some provocation in Iraq or a terrorist act in the U.S. blamed on Iran; culminating in a “defensive” U.S. military action against Iran that plunges a lonely America into a spreading and deepening quagmire eventually ranging across Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan, and Pakistan. (source: Senate Foreign Relations Committe testimony)

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Hey, Hezbollah is an Iranian backed Shiite group. That and this came the day after their 40 day mourning period. Not saying... jest saying...

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Well if they have evidence they need to show it and all the others that they have claimed and never showed anything. Show it all to the world and make the Iranian military pay for sticking their nose into the fight. If they have no evidence by now then they should shut up and leave Iran alone when it comes to Iraq.

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by LLoyd45

I can't find anything about "heads on poles" in the Wiki article on Operation Eagle Claw.

They failed due to a sandstorm and the loss of three helicopters early on due to sand damage, basically, and after Carter had already pulled the mission, and during the frantic evacuation of the refueling spot, far from Tehran, the following took place:

While maneuvering the helicopters from refueling positions directly behind the C-130 Hercules fuel aircraft so the C-130s could taxi out and take off, one of the helicopter pilots attempted to hop over its C-130 and became disoriented in the dust cloud raised by its rotors and crashed onto the C-130.

In the ensuing explosion and fire, eight U.S. servicemen died: five USAF aircrew in the C-130, and three USMC aircrew in the RH-53D (the helicopter pilot survived).

A bumbling series of mistakes, but no "heads on poles," so far as I can tell...

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Wiki doesn't mention it, but I saw it on the TV when I was in High School. I have to say it really pissed me off at the time.

I'll find the article and post it for you. It's one of those obscure facts that few people ever hear about unless they saw it for themselves. It wasn't one of our country's finest moments.

[edit on 3/24/08 by LLoyd45]

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by LLoyd45

Yeah, I'd be pissed, too.

I wouldn't have seen it on tv at the time, since I haven't really watched tv on a regular basis since about '74 or '75.

In truth, the Wiki article doesn't mention the disposition of the fallen soldiers, whether they were left behind or retrieved by U.S. forces, so I suppose it's possible their bodies fell into the hands of the opposition.

Thanks, I'd appreciate it.

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by goosdawg

As best I can recall, they were already dead, and the Iranians decapitated their burned bodies and placed the heads on stakes in front of the Embassy. They had their helmets and their dog tags on them as well. I remembered thinking how horrible it must have been for their families.

[edit on 3/25/08 by LLoyd45]

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by LLoyd45

Two excellent accounts of "Operation Eagle Claw" here:

militaryphotos.net | Special Operations, Operation Eagle Claw

From the above:

The entire task force stood transfixed as Bluebeard III spun around in the air and came down on the EC-130's wing. The wing broke and exploded as fuel spilled out, and the chopper flipped into its side. Secondary explosions rocked Desert I sending shrapnel flying into Bluebeards I, IV, and IIX. Republic IV had fourteen people on board, and the ones who survived the crash began scrambling out -some on fire. Several members of the task force ran to the crash to help rescue the crewmembers from the airplane, while others began running to get away from the heavily damaged Bluebeards on the ground.

All of the choppers had taken heavy damage from the explosion, and the only fully working Bluebeard was VII. The task force had to get the hell out now, and one chopper wasn't worth slowing everyone down. Col Kyle began directing everyone onto the C-130s, and in minutes the planes were speeding down the desert runway. Looking back, Kyle observed that the rotor blades on one of the Bluebeards were still turning. In the rush to get out, the crew didn't even have the luxury of turning the engines off.

Everyone's heart began to sink. The tremendous weight of mission failure was bad enough, but there were 8 fallen comrades back at the crash site. The fire made it impossible to retrieve them, but in military ethos you never leave a man behind. There were also classified documents on the remaining helicopters that were supposed to be retrieved or destroyed. A request for an airstrike was called out to Red Barn, but COMJTF turned the request down. If there were any survivors at the site that had been missed, they would be killed, and the fighters might encounter Iranian aircraft - an unacceptable escalation. The flight back to Masirah would take about 4 hours - plenty of time to rethink every minute of the mission.

But, from the second account:

The bodies of the eight men were eventually returned to the United States, and a memorial service was held at Arlington National Cemetery.

Sorry for the off topic chatter, we now return you to the main topic.

So.... Cheney and his puppet Bush suck, and they're lying to go to war against Iran, just like they lied to get us into Bush's War in Iraq, and we're supposed to just believe whatever lies their lap dogs tell us through the lame stream media, right?

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 09:07 PM
link   
I just hoped that Petraeus is more with Fallon, and not with the hawkish... I am dissapointed now. He feel little bit more wise... But he just want to keep his louse job!

Iran, last stop.

top topics

join