It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush Personally Bullied U.N. Diplomats into Supporting Iraq War: Ambassador

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Bush Personally Bullied U.N. Diplomats into Supporting Iraq War: Ambassador

rawstory.com

"A Solitary War: A Diplomat's Chronicle of the Iraq War and Its Lessons," to be released in April 2008, outlines bullying tactics exercised by President Bush in attempts to persuade United Nations diplomats to back a 2003 resolution to authorize military force against Iraq. Mocking of unsupportive allies, threats of trade reprisals and attempts to fire U.N. envoys were among actions taken by the Bush administration against those less than cooperative, Muñoz writes.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Gee, I would love to say how suprised I am about this, but then again, I remember his threats to anyone in the Senate who opposed---"YOU'RE EITHER WITH US, OR YOU'RE WITH THE TERRORISTS." This guy is such an unspeakable thug it makes me sick.

rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 01:38 AM
link   
I don't remember Bush directing the line "you're either with us, or you're with the terrorists," towards the US Senate. Do you have a source for this? As I recall, this line was uttered in regards to nations that were attempting to stay neutral in the war against al Qaida.

Furthermore, assuming this former UN Ambassador is telling the truth, how are Bush's alleged actions any different than the typical "carrot and stick" approach to international diplomacy, or even politics here at home? I think this is especially the case when you are dealing with UN Ambassadors and member states who were personally profiting from oil bribes given to them by Saddam's regime. How do you propose that one negotiate an issue with a Security Council member when that member is clearly being paid to support or not support proposed sanctions and/or military action?

I'm just trying to play Devil's advocate here as I think that Bush gets far more grief, especially on this site, than he deserves. So many here are consumed with such unhealthy hatred for the man that they would probably blame him if they caught The Clap.

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 09:38 AM
link   
well boo freaking hoo

i would expect diplomats to have some backbone

funny how NONE of them made a stand at the time

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

No kidding. I have no sympathy whatsoever for these professional politicians who think they've been wronged somehow. Nothing infuriates me more than to hear these pansies in the UN and elsewhere complaining because THEY were too weak-minded and/or lacked a pair to oppose him.

Boo freakin' hoo is right.

And before someone starts complaining here, that's no endorsement of the Bush administration's actions. I simply don't like whiners, especially when they helped empower the very thing they're whining about.

new topics

top topics

join