It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Firefox Help!!!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 06:54 PM
link   
My beloved Firefox has stopped working!!!

I'm jonesing here having to work on Opera...

OK, this is what happened...

It (Firefox) has been intermittently freezing for the past two days, ever sense I installed Vista SP1.. I would have to restart Firefox and all was well...

Coming to my PC this evening and it wont start at all. Clicking on the link just gives me the message instantly, "Program has stopped working, checking for solution", of course no solutions are found.

So, I uninstalled it, ran CCleaner and AWC, downloaded the newest stable version from "Download.com" and reinstalled it. No good, same thing. It works once and then same results.

I did this twice.

I tried unilstalling the themes I have installed on the first time it works, no good.

What next anyone?

Is it the SP1?

I'm dieing here.. I love Firefox...

Semper

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 08:07 PM
link   
I think I got it....

Well at least it is working now anyway...

I had to go in and delete all of my Add-ons and Themes and everything related to Firefox, than reinstall it...

I lost some bookmarks I had not backed up, but oh well...

Semper

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 09:43 PM
link   
I don't know if it si SP1, I have had FF die on me a couple of times since I got my new computer with Vista a month ago. Not sure why.

Judging from the add-ons issue, I'd say that could be it.
Did you have all the addons with XP?
Or are they new since Vista?
I suspect some of the addons were older and not compatible.

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 11:11 PM
link   
I used all new Add Ons...

I'm going through them one by one and try and figure out which one did it....

I have a sneaking suspicion it was a "Theme", but I'll let you know...

Semper

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 08:47 AM
link   
The sad reality is in Vista, IE works much faster and better than firefox.

I expect, this is done on purpose, by M$.

Semper, You have a u2u that should resolve all your browser issues.

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 05:53 PM
link   
mr monsoon, how is the security side of IE these days????

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Well,

It is a M$ product-nuff said.

The sad truth is you need to have a strong Antivirus, a well configured firewall or two-really.

You will also need several-as in 3-4 good anti:spy/malware...........yes, I really mean 3-4.

Did you ever complete sp1 install???

There is a new browser, but I need more testing before I can openly recomend it-especially with vista

If it makes you feel any better, I -out of frustration- used IE7 when I used vista Sp1.

I suspect IE8-beta, is more secure yet, but.......still beta.

Never the answer you want.
Always the answer you need.

I little mod arse-kissing never hurts-LOL
-

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 09:09 PM
link   
A well-configured firewall or two

Sorry for laughing but I had COMODO for about a week with the new computer....it locked my out of EVERYTHING and I mean EVERYTHING, it took away all my privileges, I couldn't even turn the computer off

Now I'm using the damn firewall that came with M$ and Vista FireWall Control.
I use AdAware, ThreatFire, Spyware Terminator, WinPatrol and AVG free.

I haven't done SP1 yet, right now I'm getting about 1/2 of the Internet, my ISP is having server troubles, thankfully ATS is one of the sites that is working.

I can't wait to see what browser you are testing.
I'm sure you'll let us know ASAP

I avoid beta anything, and I have not used IE for sooooo long it's like foreign, and I HATE the bookmarks in alphabetical order

[edit on 22-3-2008 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 08:41 AM
link   
What version of FF were you using? Presumably not the Beta versions of 3 that are floating around as most will not support themes/plug-ins yet.

Not to turn this into an M$ vs. Linux debate but have you considered just ditching Windows. I'd highly recommend the Ubuntu series. I've been a long time advocate of Linux and Ubuntu fits a niche in that its simple, quick and works extremely well. If your a gamer that could be an issue but for the most part several applications you would use daily are probably available (from a Linux perspective) to you. Personally I won't touch Vista I just don't need it.

brill

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by brill

Yeah,

I went through my Linux Fad about a year or so ago... Ran Ubuntu, then Fedora and NUMEROUS "Live CD" programs.. (I still use some in my Forensics work)

I got tired of the constant tweaking required and user input.

I had to face the inevitable conclusion that Linux, like MAC, just does not have the program availability and ease of use that Windows does.

I really liked "Sante Fe", "Slax" and "GoblinX", but again, restricting and too much work.. I just don't have the time anymore..

So, I really really like Vista and this is the only issue I have ever had with it. I have been running it for awhile now, bought the Ultimate edition.

I'm not going to turn back now.. Just looking at what I forgot to do in MrMonsoons email that is causing me this problem.. I'll get it fixed...

Semper

top topics

join