It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it just me, or is the moon very bright?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by asala

The moon its self is not that bright, the Sun reflecting on it is what causes its brightness, giving the suface a glass effect,

Ahh, well that makes alot of sense

So in all rights we should be seeing what the sun is up to to get to the root of this

So other members have speculated an increase in brightness, temperature, overall mass, vibration (not sure what that means exactly, other then metaphysical implications). What do you think the Sun is up to?

As it seems to be the general consesus in this thread, coming from members all around the World, that the Moon looks much brighter then normal!

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 03:15 PM
link   
*oops!

**added a second line to say, this is a double post... but not a single line post!

[edit on 033131p://22u58 by Lucid Lunacy]

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 04:46 PM
link   
You know what this reminds me of,
Oreogon national guard mobilzed and anything with rubber moved.
The fact that the U.S just moved 4 aircraft battle groups to the S.E Pacific
you think they might know something we dont?

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 06:06 PM
link   
I also live in sweden and tonight the moon was more then twice it size and was also red, but kind of dimmed. When I saw it my face was like WTF?! but then I smiled and lol:ed

Any explenations for that?

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by bastupungen
I also live in sweden and tonight the moon was more then twice it size and was also red, but kind of dimmed. When I saw it my face was like WTF?! but then I smiled and lol:ed

Yes, and I am confirming what you saw through another person (unless of course you are that same person).

Someone reported online that they saw the moon being red and that it couldn't be a Harvest moon because they were in the Southern Hemisphere.

What I have been telling people about lately has occurred, and if you saw a red moon, it was no lie. Now go and spread the message that the cross-over occurred.

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by ben91069

What I have been telling people about lately has occurred, and if you saw a red moon, it was no lie. Now go and spread the message that the cross-over occurred.

What have you been telling people? Thread links? And what do you mean by "cross-over"?

Could the redness be pollution or electromagnetic related?

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 07:32 PM
link   
The output of the Sun is easily measured (in Watts per square meter). There is a natural variation in output (plus or minus .0015% over the course of many years is about the limit). There is no appreciable difference in solar output that you could ever notice with the naked eye. Same goes for the moon, because it just reflects sunlight.

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by nataylor
There is no appreciable difference in solar output that you could ever notice with the naked eye. Same goes for the moon, because it just reflects sunlight.

So then what do you believe is the culprit here? Considering many members are saying the Moon looks abnormally bright, and they are from all around the Globe.

[edit on 073131p://22u40 by Lucid Lunacy]

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lucid Lunacy
As it seems to be the general consesus in this thread, coming from members all around the World, that the Moon looks much brighter then normal!
Not really, there have been some that have said that it is bright but not unusually bright, and that is what we can see here in Portugal, a commonly bright full Moon (although less than a full Moon now).

So, unless Portugal is not affected by some mysterious increase in Sun light that is only visible when reflected by the Moon or by any other theory, there must be some other reason.

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP
Not really, there have been some that have said that it is bright but not unusually bright

Hey Armap

Sorry to add alot of clutter but to best reply I am posting snips of earlier posts:

Originally posted by ZikhaN
Is it just me or has the moon been extra bright the last few days? It's almost like a second sun in the night sky.

Originally posted by beaverg
But last night I did think the same thing; The full moon made it bright enough to where we could have turned out the street lights last night. Not sure why it is; But I noticed as well here in South East USA.

Originally posted by Nohup
Also, given the fact that the Moon has actually been moved closer to the Earth 50,000 miles might account for it looking particularly big and bright lately.

Originally posted by NewWorldOver
Yes I've noticed the moon is brighter. I assume it is at a different angle now then it was last fall. Ever since the eclipse it has seemed very bright...

Originally posted by ZikhaN

Yeah ofcourse, but it's VERY bright. That's unsual to me...

Originally posted by asala
Yes i have also noticed this, Im in London and this past week my garden at night has beeen lit up blue, the moon is really giving off alot of light,

but it does seem to be in a different position that it was before,

Originally posted by jackinthebox

Wow. I thought it was just me. I stepped out last night for a smoke, and was really awestruck by the intensity of the Moon. I had never seen anything like it,

Originally posted by TKainZero
I am going to Confirm this INsanly Bright Moon, here in Southern California...

i left my friends house, and both him and i were Awestruck by how bright the moon was.

It was strange, it was SO bright

The Brighteest i can remember...

Mabye the sun is ejecting out some strange light???

But im glad im not the only one to notice how bright the moon was... i didn't even need my headlights to drive at night....

Originally posted by Uniceft17
Whoa this is weird, I have been thinking the same thing for the last 2 months, but it looks bigger to me more that bright, like it's closer to Earth or something. And I look at the moon ALOT, and something is definately different.

Originally posted by allMIGHTY

When i looked at the moon yesterday i thought exactly the same. The moon was really bright. I look often to the moon but yesterday, the moon was shining really strong.

Originally posted by ElectroMagnetic Multivers
Ive been noticing this more and more over the past month at least, probably longer, the moon and stars,....The moon was incredible, brighter than ive ever seen it,

Originally posted by KelticKraute
I have noticed the moon seems to be a bit brighter in the last few months.

Originally posted by KanehBosm
I went out t see who the heck, or what the heck was shining so bright in front of my house,... The moon! didn't think anythig of it accept it was bright!!

Originally posted by Desmond
The Moon has been brighter for 2 years now...

Originally posted by metatronscube
You know, I did notice my room has been unusually bright lately at night from moon light.

[edit on 083131p://22u18 by Lucid Lunacy]

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

I blame the full moon. Brightness is an exponential measure (see graphic below). It can seem to be very bright. Much brighter than it appears on TV or a computer, where, unfortunately, it seems most people see it these days.

Show me a light meter or some quantifiable measure of light output that proves it's brighter than usual. That should be easy to do if it's true. Anecdotal evidence is pretty flimsy.

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by bastupungen

Yes - It's called the "moon illusion".

The red tinge you see when the moon is close to the horizon is for the same reason the sun is red when it is low - light is scattered more in the blue wavelengths when the moon is low on the horizon, since the atmosphere acts like a prism. See this page for more info: math.ucr.edu...
Edit to add another page that also answers your question: curious.astro.cornell.edu...

[edit on 22-3-2008 by C.H.U.D.]

[edit on 22-3-2008 by C.H.U.D.]

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Well, that should be enough proof that the moon is strangely brighter now. We can't all be dumb about the same thing at the same time . The moon has been 'different' for the last several months (on my watch!). I do not need anyone to try to tell me it hasn't been...I have 2 eyes, a brain(still fairly good condition, and have many years experience(decades), of viewing the moon. I have always been amazed of the moon all my life. I HAVE definitely seen the moon for what it is and how it is, how it looks in different phases, etc... the moon is screwed up somehow and in someway, and don't know how or who or what did it. All of the posts from people all over the earth are noticing it now, so deal with it! We believe in what we see and know so it's just a waste of time trying to get us to think we are 'seeing' things and that everything above our heads is OKAY! This case is closed...we should all move on to the next step now...thank you....

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Here is the thread all about this moon that has passed, which was a connection between earth and the heavens, civil authority and religious authority, the natural world and the scientific world, and anything else you wish to imagine:

Pale moon rising

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 01:54 AM
link   
I have noticed the moon being pretty bright and beautiful as of late. In fact today the moon was clear and bright even in the day time.

I'm not a 100% sure why it is but I do remember hearing that the Sun is entering into a more violent, hotter stage, almost like a solar summer. This could possibly be a cause of it. This is nothing too unusual and perfectly natural, just that this cycle is expected to be more active than recent cycles

Remember also that humidity affects the visibility of the moon and it's apparent brightness and air temperature affects humidity, perhaps it's been a bit cool lately?

I remember hearing theories, that as an insomniac I rather like, that since the moon was closer to the Earth in the ancient past and therefore significantly brighter and larger we did most of our hunting at night. It's been theorized that the moon was so bright there would've been no trouble seeing at night. Seems to make sense to me and explains why I get so miserable when I have to wake up too early

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 02:01 AM
link   
I noticed it too actually, the moon was waaaaaay killer awesome uberishly bright and pretty.

Not necessarily different from other times I've seen it the same way, but still very nice to look at.

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 06:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by imysbbad
Well, that should be enough proof that the moon is strangely brighter now.
No, the only way to prove it is by measuring it and comparing the measurements with previous measurements.

We can't all be dumb about the same thing at the same time .
I hope not.

The moon has been 'different' for the last several months (on my watch!). I do not need anyone to try to tell me it hasn't been...I have 2 eyes, a brain(still fairly good condition, and have many years experience(decades), of viewing the moon.
There is something that you should know, I too have two eyes, a brain and decades of watching the Moon (unfortunately only with my eyes and not a telescope).

I have always been amazed of the moon all my life. I HAVE definitely seen the moon for what it is and how it is, how it looks in different phases, etc... the moon is screwed up somehow and in someway, and don't know how or who or what did it.
That could only be possible if all people saw it different.

All of the posts from people all over the earth are noticing it now, so deal with it! We believe in what we see and know so it's just a waste of time trying to get us to think we are 'seeing' things and that everything above our heads is OKAY! This case is closed...we should all move on to the next step now...thank you....
Well, that is only if you ignore the posts from Portugal, both me and kingsnake said that it is not abnormally bright. And as I also believe in what I see (and with the confirmation from kingsnake) so I think that you are on the wrong track by saying that the Moon is different.

The case may be close for you if you do not want to know what has made the Moon look brighter than usual to some people, but for me it is not closed, it looks like some circumstances are making the Moon look brighter in some places but not all, so there must be something on those places (the ones where it is brighter or the ones where it is not) that makes the Moon look different or not.

PS: I would suggest that we contact an astronomer, they should be able to tell if there is a difference in the light from the Moon or not.

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 06:21 AM
link   
I'm not sure if this full moon is brighter than normal, but it certainly is bright

Here's a moon pic I took using one of Slooh's scopes on Mt Teide in the Canary Islands a couple nights ago:

moon

Peace

EDIT -- Grammar

[edit on 23-3-2008 by Rilence]

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 11:32 AM
link   
To me, the Moon has looked just as bright as always for the past couple of days (i.e. it looks normal) -- and I see the same moon everyone else sees.

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Yes, the Moon probably looked brighter to you; because it is closer to you. It is an astronomical term known as "anomalistic month".

The moon does not orbit the Earth in a perfect circle. At times it will be closer and at times further away. During perigee, the Moon is at it's closest point to Earth. Apogee is when the Moon is at it's furthest point. The moon is was at perigee on March 10th. Combine that with a full moon shortly after, it will appear larger and brighter because it is closer to the Earth.

The last 3 months, the full moon was close to apogee, so it looked smaller and dimmer.

Since the Moon was closer in early March with a full moon close to perigee, it is brighter and larger in appearance. The true size and brightness does not change, but just appears that way from our viewpoint here on Earth.

April has a perigee during the new moon, and an apogee during the full moon. So April's full moon will not be "as bright" as March's full moon.

For those who want to keep track, take a look outside December 12th 2008. The perigee Moon and Full Moon occur within hours of each other. The Moon will also be furthest north, so that will have more effect on northerners for viewing. It will be the brightest full moon of 2008. (weather permitting).

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join