It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush: Politics not a factor in Olympics

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Bush: Politics not a factor in Olympics

news.yahoo.com

The White House said Thursday that China's crackdown in Tibet is not cause for President Bush to cancel his attendance at the Beijing Olympics.

Presidential spokeswoman Dana Perino Bush's position is that "this should be about the athletes and not necessarily about politics."

She said that Bush, in accepting the invitation last year from Chinese President Hu Jintao to attend the Olympics, told him that the games would "shine a spotlight on all things Chinese."
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Chinese Security Forces Swarm Tibet
Before Olympic Games, China quells dissent (more human rights travesties)
Calls Mount for Olympic Ceremony Boycott
Olympics clean-up Chinese style: Inside Beijing's shocking death camp for cats

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 11:41 AM
link   
The Bush Administration has proven time and time again they are not interested in anyone but themselves. We are only going to the Chinese games to save face.

If we boycotted the Chinese, what a bunch of hypocrites would we be for invading Iraq? Bushie just wants the Chinese to know he is not going to stop their human rights violations as its not really very high on his list of priorities. He has to protect his economic interests in the Middle East right now and well, who cares about the Tibetans anyway, right?

Bush agreed to go to the Olympics during a meeting with Hu in Australia last September during the Asia Pacific Economic Council meeting. A White House spokesman said at the time that Bush was going to the games for the sports and not for any political statement.

As usual Bush can't make a political statement because he doesn't understand what is really going on. His press people tell him the Chinese government is "good", so he believes them.

However, the EU has no problem making a statement:

The European Union spoke out Thursday against any boycott, saying it would be counterproductive to efforts to improve human rights in China.

"Boycotting the XXIX Olympiad is not the right answer to the current political problems," said a statement from Slovenia, which holds the EU's rotating presidency. "A boycott could signify actually losing an opportunity to promote human rights and could, at the same time, cause considerable harm to the population of China as a whole."

How in the world would boycotting the Chinese Olympics send the "wrong message?"

If these people really cared about human and animal rights violations being made in China, they would speak out.

Our leaders are nothing more than cowards, serving their own best interest in every arena.

I'd like to see some politicians grow balls and speak out against the Chinese for their treatment of the Tibetans and their own peasants.

We hear news all the time about how Tibet is being attacked, but what about the people surrounding the stadium?

They were forced out of their homes so the city would look "investable" for the foreigners who came over for the games.

Check the "human rights" thread I posted, its all there.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 3/20/2008 by biggie smalls]

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 12:30 PM
link   

shine a spotlight on all things Chinese."

I love Chinese food

But really, I think that it is a cause for concern. I would not go.

join