It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why does this song remind me of the Vietnam War?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 05:55 PM
link   
I always liked Hendrix.

I never aspired to be like him.

But....does this particular song ring out, in my mind...to remind me of the Veitnam War?

Your guess is as good as mine.

~Ducky~

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Because he was around in the time of the Veitnam War and when some one says Veitnam War its funny that the only song i can think of then too! Also people trip out over that song just like the US soldiers when they were doing hemp lol ROCK ON!

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 02:37 PM
link   
couldn't possibly because that song has been played in movies associated with vietnam... =)

TINAOL (this is not a one-liner)

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 04:37 PM
link   
I also associate this song with Vietnam... But I think i associate it because Bob Dylan wrote it, and he wrote a lot of anti-war and protest songs back then...

Ps. Love Hendrix's cover of it. He was arguably one of the best guitar players of the 60s.

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Much of the music from that time period reminds me of the Vietnam War. Although having been born in '72, what reminds me of the war is only perceived since I wasn't there. Hendrix died in '70, 2 years before I was born, but I certainly appreciate his contributions to rock and blues. His use of distortion was classic. I seem to remember even Pete Townsend commenting that The Who going on stage after Hendrix was anti-climatic.
He certainly harnessed the power of the tube amp and the Fender Strat.

Here's one that I think fits that era. The background vocals at the end sounds like the beginning of Alice in Chains The Rooster.

www.youtube.com...

This performance of Voodoo Chile at Woodstock was incredible, too.

www.youtube.com...

This 12-string version of Hear My Train A Coming is classic. I believe Prince was inspired by Hendrix, at least with his style in clothing.

www.youtube.com...

This last one is a live recording of Are You Experienced.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Apr, 5 2008 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Paint it Black

This song always has my mind having vissions of running around the Jungle, setting fire to everything, and being omipotent, and a destroyer.... May Just be me...

posted on Apr, 5 2008 @ 10:56 PM
link   
The first question I might ask is, Are you old enough to remember the war in Vietnam?

It's easy to associate Jimi Hendrix with the war in Vietnam because that was the era in which he earned his fame, just as it is easy to associate Glenn Miller with WWII.

top topics

join