It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New NY Governor Paterson Admits Affair

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 08:54 PM
link   

New NY Governor Paterson Admits Affair

www.nydailynews.com

In a stunning revelation, both Paterson, 53, and his wife, Michelle, 46, acknowledged in a joint interview they each had intimate relationships with others during a rocky period in their marriage several years ago.

In the course of several interviews in the past few days, Paterson said he maintained a relationship for two or three years with "a woman other than my wife," beginning in 1999.

As part of that relationship, Paterson said, he and the other woman sometimes stayed at an upper West Side hotel — the Days Inn at Broadway and W. 94th St.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 08:54 PM
link   
OK, in my opinion, this is a hell of alot better than the Eliot Spitzer ordeal, but WHY ANNOUNCE THIS AT ALL....YOU WERE JUST SWORN IN!!! This makes no damn sense. It was marital problems and should not be any of our business...its not like he broke the law or used tax payer money on it....

www.nydailynews.com

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by harddrive21

OK, in my opinion, this is a hell of alot better than the Eliot Spitzer ordeal, but WHY ANNOUNCE THIS AT ALL....YOU WERE JUST SWORN IN!!! This makes no damn sense. It was marital problems and should not be any of our business...its not like he broke the law or used tax payer money on it....

www.nydailynews.com

I agree with you....this just seem to something that occurred in his marriage, and then he and his wife managed to work through it.

I think he is trying to get ahead of the media curve, and to get any "issues" out in the open with the public. I commend him on that......but it's really is his own business.

Here is some background on the new Governor from another thread.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 17-3-2008 by realmatrix]

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by harddrive21

They are saying this because they don't want the secret to come out at a later date. Its better to be upfront with a secret and be in control over the matter rather than have a political opponent drag you in the dirt because of it.

Spitzer could have maintained some moral ground had he admitted he was a lover of prostitutes before the news broke.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 09:08 PM
link   
I think anybody in that high of an office has a few skeletons in their closet, or they wouldn't be there....this is the way that the powers that be can guarentee that the ones they put into office won't turn on them....maybe this is just a message to the powers that be, he aint afraid of his skeletons?

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 09:11 PM
link   
A politician being honest? Quick, someone pinch me.

I agree with the idea that he's airing his skeletons before someone else does and uses it against him. But good on him for at least having the courage to admit his mistake and that it has been reconciled between him and the wife.

apc

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 09:12 PM
link   
It's idiotic to keep making a fuss over all this crap in the first place. Monogamy is unnatural. Prostitution is natural. Being blind is unnatural. Being black is natural. Being blind, black, and the first of both to govern New York state... well that's just hilarious.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by biggie smalls

I will disagree with you on one point : Spitzer used the services of the ladies of the night for 10 years. It is illegal...it cost him 80K...and he went after so many prostitution rings during his tenure as NY AG. He looked down on them and their Johns with disgust. Spitzer, just like many people, are hypocritical. Spitzer made his bed and it's time for him to lay in it.
Mr. Paterson on the other hand didn't do anything illegal. Paterson didn't base his entire career on Ethics, Standards and Decency. He never pulled the holier than thou routine. The NYC media will have a field day with this. He will survive this, but man - why now? This could have waited just a bit. Hell, the Bible he was swarn in with was still warm from his hands.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 09:16 PM
link   
LOL I thought the same thing. Is a truthful politician a sign of the Apocalypse...or worse? Big thumbs up to him...it's easier to admit this than using the services of prostitutes, mens room sex solicitation or pediphilia...but hey, he didn't have to come clean.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 09:17 PM
link   
I think we're forgetting one fundamental thing here. Human beings are, at the basic level, just animals. We are socialized, yes, but we have the same drives as the other creatures we share this planet with.

Glass houses, stones, those without sin. I don't know anyone who's perfect. I don't excuse negative behaviors, but I think we should stop feeding into the media's mania for dirt. Maybe they'd clean up their act.

I said maybe.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by apc
It's idiotic to keep making a fuss over all this crap in the first place. Monogamy is unnatural. Prostitution is natural. Being blind is unnatural. Being black is natural. Being blind, black, and the first of both to govern New York state... well that's just hilarious.

What is hilarious about him being blind and black? What you saying?

[edit on 17-3-2008 by realmatrix]

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Nothing like a good giggle.

Why do we, as a society, put people up on pedestals? Are we not all human? Mistake or not, we all do things that usually end up biting us in the butt at some point in our lives.

I guess it is more like, who cares? Does it mean they are going to do a crappy job just because they cheat on their spouse? I mean I do not condone the behavior but we as a society need to be a little bit more realistic. No, I do not mean lower our standards, just realize that people in the spotlight are in fact, just like you and I. We all get out of bed and put out pants on one leg at a time.

apc

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by realmatrix

Sorry... my sense of humor is largely irony based. Probably needs some explaining for all the other people. Maybe with graphical representations or something. If only I had the time to draw a piano with Hillary sprawled on top.

top topics

join