It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

how do you study Survival techniques?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I was just wondering how do you study Survival techniques? I would like to start studing survival but i dont know how. Because sitting on my ass reading about how to survive wont help much.

Could you provide me with some links to any good sites about survival techniques?

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Obviously hands-on is the best way to learn.

Typically I will start off getting interested in a topic by reading about it online, actually I learn about new survival stuff in this forum most of the time. Then I will start to read as much about it as I can. Then after you master the "book-smart" side of something, you have to apply it to real life.

Example:

When I wanted to learn to make a fire by rubbing sticks together
- I read about alternative ways to start fires here on ATS... people speculating and sharing theories on how it could be done.
- I went to other websites and read the specifics about how to do certain primitive fire-starting techniques and why they work.
- I actually made a fire-bow in real life and spent a few days learning how to operate it.

When I wanted to learn about agriculture
- I read specifically about wild edible plants. When I could positively identify them, I went out and looked for some, and ate them.
- I read about growing plants... what was needed, how long it took, which are easy or hard to grow. Then I started growing them slowly, from seeds in store-bought produce and expanded from there.

I think this 3-step approach is the most successful way to accumulate survival knowledge and experience.
1. Read it
2. Plan it
3. Do it

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 05:47 PM
link   
I agree with yarcofin. I did exactly the same thing, when i wanted to learn how to make a fire with a fire bow i just read about it, made one and practiced. I did it in my back garden, manicured as it was at the time, the setting doesn't matter.

I learnt to make a shelter by reading abut it (i was about 8) then going to the local woods and making one.

I've learnt abut growing plants simply because my parents always did and so i was around it my entire life, but i can say now that "seed packet gardening" is a great way to start. Buy some seeds, read the directions on the pack and plant them, hoenstly it's a great feeling to grow your own stuff.

There are a lot of people who read the books and never go out and do it becuase they think reading about it is enough to prepare them. Don't fall into that trap, just read all you can and practice the technique until you are very proficient at it. Currently i'm learning about all the different lashings and knots you need for various circumstances. My memory for this kind of thing is awful so i've been practicing and practicing and trying to make it a part of muscle memory.

Just practice and you'll have it down in no time, my adice would be to start with fire lighting. It's tricky but only takes a couple of hours a day to learn at most. In two days you'll be able to start a fire with nothing more than sticks and a shoelace and feel seriously proud of yourself.

Best of luck.

new topics

join