It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Speculation surrounds HMAS Sydney sinking

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 11:03 PM
link   

HMAS Sydney Found after 60 years

www.abc.net.au

The loss of HMAS Sydney in 1941 was almost impossible for many Australians to comprehend, and over the years a number of theories have been put forward as to just what did happen on that fateful day.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.theaustralian.news.com.au
www.theage.com.au

[edit on 16-3-2008 by crackerjack]

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 11:03 PM
link   
After more than 60 years the families of HMAS Sydney can be put at ease with the finding of the wreck. The ship was lost in 1941 in a battle against the German raider Kormoran off the Australian coast, HMAS Sydney was a more superior ship than the raider but was sunk with all 645 crew onboard.
Over the years there has been many theories about what happened and why such a ship was sunk by a smaller lighter gunned ship.
Most of the crew from the Kormoran survived the battle but no survivors from the HMAS Sydney.

It has been considered one of the biggest mysteries in Australian maritime history.

May she rest in peace.
Many Australian wonder why it took more than 60 years to find the wreck, and many wonder why all crew went down with the ship, the only reports available were from the crewmen of the German Raider. No official statements were released to the families.

The Raider was a light Merchant ship with minimal protection, compared to the Sydney which was more heavily armed and designed as a battleship.

This has been the biggest loss of soles in WW2 with a ship.

So what does everyone think?

www.abc.net.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 09:24 AM
link   
dam , i did not see this thread , and have just resurected my earlier thread on the search :

previous thread

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

Ohhhh I see it

It's just good that they found her. I am an Aussie and every ANZAC Day (Australian / New Zealand) war service memorial she is remembered.

I read that they are going to send a couple of drones down there and find out the real story why she went down, but why did everyone go down with her?

Some person in charge of the search released the whereabouts of her, Most people wanted the location to remain a secret of the two ships.

They picked her up by sonar and as you said ignorant_ape, the ship is well intact and looks to be upright.

So I hope we will get the real story soon.

[edit on 17-3-2008 by crackerjack]

top topics

join