It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ala. building can't shake swastika shape

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Ala. building can't shake swastika shape

news.yahoo.com

DECATUR, Ala. - From the ground, the Wesley Acres Methodist retirement home looks like any other building. But fly over in an airplane, and the outline is unmistakable: It's one big swastika.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Nice.
I think the explanation given for the shape is pretty lame.
Maybe it's just a coincidence, but surely someone would have noticed it in draughting plans, permits etc?

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 05:58 PM
link   
From the link you posted above:

"The difficulty is there are a limited number of options for fixing a building that has been there for some time," said Mike Giles, counsel for the Methodist Homes Corp. of Alabama and Northwest Florida.

It doesn't need fixing because this is all meaningless.
First off, the building is not in the shape of a swastika, it's just similar.
Second, it's an efficient design for it's purpose and in no way promotes Nazism.

The war is over folks, Hitler is dead. Get over it........
More people have died under the sign of the cross than the swastika, should we erase that symbol as well ?

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 09:15 PM
link   
the israeli guy who is pushing this issue is a freaking idiot. doesnt he have better things to do that find which buildings resemble swasticas from the air?? what a pathetic loser

The latest push to rid the landscape of the broken cross shape follows complaints from Avrahaum Segol, the same Israeli-American researcher who last fall helped publicize a swastika-shaped barracks at Naval Base Coronado in San Diego. The Navy said it would spend about $600,000 to alter the building, which opened in the 1960s, but the work has not yet been done.

Segol calls the Alabama retirement home a "sister swastika" to the building in California and says they were both part of a tangled, government-funded conspiracy to honor Nazis.

Segol claims the swastika shape of Wesley Acres in Decatur pays homage to the German scientists who came to nearby Huntsville after World War II and designed the rockets that put Americans on the moon.

[edit on 14-3-2008 by turbokid]

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by earthchild

Ye gods people have too much time on their hands if they have time to complain about something as asinine as this.
I severely doubt the resemblance of the design to a swastika was intentional.

And perhaps people should remember the symbol was once a beneficial symbol.

[edit on 14-3-2008 by WraothAscendant]

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 10:18 PM
link   
I was just going to spout off like everyone else that never bothered to look at the picture. Unfortunately the building was designed to have more courtyard views for the type of land it is on. Sadly the other veiws are not much but most can only afford the low end view for their last years. Sad stuff.

Give me that shlitz malt liquor and an overpass baby.... Don't need to look across the swastika at someone else dying. Whatever.

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Illahee

Not intentional? did anyone bother to look into related threads?

swastika buildings

This isn't the only one out there. Not to take sides, but the guy complaining may feel a little different than you or I do when it comes to the swastika symbol. It may not mean much to us, but for all we know he may have been personally affected by the events of WW2.

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Well, if buildings were being designed to resemble swastikas, it wouldn't just be a 'sensitive racial issue'. There is supposedly an element to the shape of the swastika itself which promotes sun or solar energy (spiritual... not cosmic).

This is of course a mystics interpretation, but the swastika is a mystic symbol. I wouldn't want to live in one giant occult symbol.

Nevertheless I doubt this design was intentional.

palehorse brings up an interesting point

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 02:31 AM
link   
reply to post by palehorse23

Not all of us think that there is some evil conspiracy behind every coincidence.

Such a design can easily pop up when someone doesn't notice or even think about such things. I can see the innocent reasons for having a building designed thus.

But like I said the swastika means something very beneficial and nothing to do with genocide to certain occult traditions.

[edit on 15-3-2008 by WraothAscendant]

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 03:59 AM
link   
some one needs to round ou a gaggle of militant hindus , bhuddists and jannists to protest and argue that these ` swastika buildings ` are :

a peacefull expression of thier faiths and beliefs - and that to " disfigure " them would be an attack on thier religion

PS - why do some people never accept the sound engineering / ergonomic argument for the configuration

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 04:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape
some one needs to round ou a gaggle of militant hindus , bhuddists and jannists to protest and argue that these ` swastika buildings ` are :

a peacefull expression of thier faiths and beliefs - and that to " disfigure " them would be an attack on thier religion

PS - why do some people never accept the sound engineering / ergonomic argument for the configuration

You called for me?

Yep its an ancient Hindu symbol. There is a serious issue with people not recognising it as such. I mean, i had a religious type picture in my living room at home (Aum symbol, with 4 swastikas around it); one of my jewish friends freaked when he saw it lol. Naturally i mean nothing sinister by it, its just that id rather use the symbol in its original meaning.

Hitler only used the swastika to represent the aryan race because hindus are the historical aryan race. Germany had no national binding theme, so he chose to steal ours instead! Uncool Hitler, very uncool.

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 07:10 AM
link   
Why spend millions to reconstuct the building. Just set up a no fly zone around it and no one will ever care again.

But if they reconstruct it they should buid it like the Star of David to give the NeoNazis a fair chance to whine about something.

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 07:30 AM
link   
When I first saw the building I thought people were stirring up a fuss for the sake of it, yet can't help but feel Avrahaum Segol may have a point. If Nazi scientists were working in that region then the buildings may have been designed via their beliefs and their work in that area without building anything too obvious to most people. I presume most of the scientists have now died? Which could explain why the building are now being altered?

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

Because some use it to feed their paranoia.
Or their deep seated need to bitch about anything and everything that ticks them off.

Which could explain why the building are now being altered?

OR we could go with the easier and I think more logical answer they are changing it because people are complaining?
Nah too simple huh? No dark sinisterness behind that.

[edit on 15-3-2008 by WraothAscendant]

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by palehorse23 It may not mean much to us, but for all we know he may have been personally affected by the events of WW2.

And?

If he was personally affected by the events of WW2, what does that have to do with a building, or even with that symbol. Hitler used that symbol, yes, but that symbol existed long before. If he truly wanted to go after some buildings that were symbols of the hate that many peoples endured during WW2, then he would be campaigning to tear down Auschwitz or Birkenau.

I'm sorry, but that's pushing the envelope a little to far for me when someone that could have been affected by WW2 can start a campaign to redesign existing buildings because he can't stay off the google maps looking for swastikas?

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Some people just cant let go of the visual symbolism behind the evil which has happened over the past 70 years or so, as has been pointed out the swastika is not a NAZI or an evil symbol just because hitler and his idiot followers decided it would be a neat statement for them,

The only way there wouldn't be complaints is if the building was a square block,

Its the same with the bush and his bull horn nonesence, it is used everyday by kids at metal concerts, maybe he is just a metal fan? not likely i know.

It is just a building as long as there are no bad things going on in there who cares?

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 12:44 PM
link   
After the US taxpayers have been fleeced of several hundred million $'s to pay for Holocaust museums in every town, you'd think the Jewish community would pay to have an objectionably shaped building remodeled.

Seriously, this whole thing should be laughed off and the complainant told to get a freakin' life and stop wasting peoples time.

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 01:41 PM
link   
"Militant Jains," now that's funny right there!

The right-hand swastika is one of the 108 symbols of the god Vishnu as well as a symbol of the sun and of the sun god Surya. The symbol imitates in the rotation of its arms the course taken daily by the sun, which appears in the Northern Hemisphere to pass from east, then south, to west. (It is also a symbol of the sun among Native Americans.)

The left-hand swastika (called a sauvastika) usually represents the terrifying goddess Kali, night and magic. However, this form of the swastika is not "evil" and it is the form most commonly used in Buddhism.
Source | Religion Facts | The Swastika Symbol in Hinduism

Avrahaum Segol is an intolerant idiot with an agenda.

top topics

join