It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yet another strange formation from Opportunity

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2004 @ 03:18 PM
link   
This is from SOL 26, looks like some kind of Conglomerate sedimentary rock...

marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov...

What do you folks think about it ?

posted on Feb, 20 2004 @ 03:48 PM
link   
i soo freakin wish they would start showing us these pictures in color!!!! ahhhh!!!

posted on Feb, 20 2004 @ 03:50 PM
link   
heres some weird spherical balls in the trench that opportunity dug...they still cant figure out what they are
origin.mars5.jpl.nasa.gov... rtunity/20040219a/08-AY-3-shiny-B026R1.jpg

posted on Feb, 20 2004 @ 03:52 PM
link   
looks like wet crap to me....ever seen a goat take a crap? they leave little balls all over the freakin place.

again....wishing the pics were in color.

posted on Feb, 20 2004 @ 03:55 PM
link   
again....wishing the pics were in color.

Same here...

posted on Feb, 20 2004 @ 05:16 PM
link   
i've sais it before and i will say it again.....since all the hub-bub with the 'color' of the first pictures sent back from mars.......it seems that 'they' have just decided to stop showing color pics..why? if the 'explanation' of the apparent color doctoring was credibale, why would 'they' stop showing all those cool color pics?? is it for our own good, like so many other things 'they' do. and..u know it is not NASA itself that has decided to stop showing the color pics.

there is an exelent tread about why the color was of the pics looked like it was doctored. BUT, if the explaination is credabile....why have they stopped showing color photos?????

to me...the lack of color photos gives credence to the assumtion that the color has been knowingly doctored......repeat a lie enough and it will be believed...and if that doesn't work, throw a whole crap load of technical jargon to hide your tracks..............

posted on Feb, 20 2004 @ 06:11 PM
link   
That picture from SOL 26 is the first "trench" that OP made with one of its wheels, the goat turd is the soil that eventually fell back off the rovers wheel after it made the trial run to the dig the ditch.

posted on Feb, 20 2004 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Maybe we had better stay away from there, its looks like a picture of a tennis shoe imprint left behind by some mighty large feet.

posted on Feb, 20 2004 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Actually robertfenix...

That pic is a blowup of a part of the lower right hand of the pic in the link below the pic...

[Edited on 20-2-2004 by Yoda]

posted on Feb, 22 2004 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Here is a diffrent angle of it taken from the SOL 26 NavCam...

origin.mars5.jpl.nasa.gov...

And I don't think it is a "turd" or part of the trench...

posted on Feb, 22 2004 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Also it is in the original PanCam pic...

posted on Feb, 22 2004 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Mining tailings from such similar processes. I like the carving out of the rock there in these photos. That is not natural rock shearing or stressing or erosion patterns. It may represent water erosion but in the area they are in that may not be a logical reason. Wind? Why would it discriminate between one part of a rock and annother part of the same rock?

The mystery deepens and yes I whole heartedly agree that black and white pics are not cool.

posted on Feb, 22 2004 @ 02:10 PM
link   
In that B/W photo in the first post looks like wet compact mud like dirt. It looks like dirt would look like after a flash flood or flowing water and then dried up. Even the smallest rocks and pebbles poke out of the surface all at the same level.

posted on Feb, 22 2004 @ 02:20 PM
link   
I agree it does look like dried mud...when I first looked at it I thought a conglomerate, and yes the shearing does look strange...

posted on Feb, 22 2004 @ 11:48 PM
link   
What...402 views and only 8 comments ( not counting my own )...

LOL maybe I picked a too tough of a subject to comment on...

new topics

top topics

join