It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Despair

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2008 @ 08:28 PM
link   
I decided to come make an account here in hopes of communicating with some like minded people.

Lately I have felt despair. I can't think of any worse emotion. Other negative emotions can have situational functions, but I seen none for despair.

Despair to me is when optimism feels delusional, and nothing is feels worse.

Anyway, I don't mean to make my first post so negative but after seeing "the truth is in here" I just really I hope I can find some of it and stop feeling like such a sheep.

posted on Mar, 11 2008 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Welcome I truly hope that you find what you are looking for, we do have plenty of topics to chose from.

posted on Mar, 11 2008 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Jezus

What is is that you're despairing about, Jezus?

I know that despair is often a generalised feeling, but your words made me think that there is something more specific that is bugging you.

Anyway, and believe it or not, some of it may be physical - and if so, it can be dealt with appropriately.
(No, I am not suggesting the pills that so many psychiatrists like to peddle.)

And, of course, you must realise that the most in-credible (good) things can happen and do happen. Once you open to the possibility that all could change (for better) in an instant, you won't feel despair anymore.

But more on that on some other occasion.

[edit on 12-3-2008 by Vanitas]

posted on Mar, 11 2008 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Jezus

sometimes you simply have to let somethings "go in one ear and out the other" so to speak. have confidence in your own strengths and beliefs and don't live your life through others. i know this is easier said then done, because i think all of us have been in that particular frame of mind at some point in our lives, and have had difficulty shaking that "feeling" off.

posted on Mar, 11 2008 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Jezus

Welcome, Jezus!

The ATS Freshman's Forum is a great place to discuss the complexities of the ATS universe and to get advice from rookies and veterans alike.

Asala has a new member thread here: Hey new members!! Come here if you need advice.

There are lots of handy tips available in the Handbook of ATS Links.

Here’s a list of forum related threads:
Index of Important Website Related Threads

Configuring your MyATS page is the easiest way to put the ATS universe at your fingertips.

Be sure to check out Social Issues on AbovePolitics. I'm sure you will find the atmosphere to be friendly, enlightening, and rewarding.

Here's an excellent little, unobtrusive spell checker in case you need one: ieSpell 2.5.1 build 106

A convenient text editor also comes in handy when composing those epic posts: EditPad Lite.

Sooner or later you will find a use for TinyURL!™.

Don’t forget to set up the “Comments” section in your profile, so folks can drop by to say, “Hi!” All it takes is a “Howdy” from you to get the ball rolling.

Oh, and visit the Automotive Discussion forum.

Grady

posted on Mar, 11 2008 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by GradyPhilpott

wow...and i thought i was upbeat...but you are one HAPPY fellow there, grady...good advice though!!

posted on Mar, 11 2008 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Jezus

Hi Jezus. I do hope you find enlightenment and a share of peace here at ATS and her sister forums.

May I suggest you check out BTS for some light discussion and get to know some of the members.

You will soon notice the folks who are user friendly. When you get enough points to send U2U's give some of them a shout.

You have found a good home. Now post away and get enough points to U2U.

Dizzie

posted on Mar, 11 2008 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Jezus

Hello Jezus and welcome to ATS. I don't post here a lot, but I do read most (but not all) of the threads. When I do post it's because someone has said something that touches...your post has done that.

I'm sorry to hear of your despair. It can be a very frightening feeling as I have been there myself. I remember feeling like things were hopeless and with every day more things keep piling up until there seems to be no way out. I went from one sad depressing day to the next only going through the motions of life and doing what I know had to be done.

Then by accident, I discovered something that made me feel uplifted and good inside. I actually smiled for the first time in a long time. It was something really simple too. I took one hour of my day and dedicated it to helping someone else. My first time it was something really small. I helped my elderly neighbor carry her groceries into her house, then took her little dog for a walk. I found afterwards that I felt better. I felt as though maybe there there was hope after all. Just the simple gesture lifted me up and made me want to do something else for someone...so I could get that feeling again.

Now I take 2-3 hours out of each day to just do things for other people. Sometimes I get a thank you and sometimes I don't, but it doesn't matter. It still makes me feel like I have done something to help.

In my opinion, the feeling of despair (for me) was a lack of feeling like I was important in someone else's life. Since then I have discovered that even the little things I can do to help people do make a difference in their lives.

The old saying about it being better to give than to receive is true...but giving of yourself is even better.

I hope you feel better and if there is anything I can do, please let me know.

Marilyn~

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Welcome to ATS, Jezus.

If you need help with anything, just ask.

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Wecome friend. There is negative stuff out there, but there is hope too, I assure you.

top topics

join