It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gamers secretly enjoy getting killed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 10:30 AM
link   

www.newscientist.com

If you're a fan of first-person shooter games, then you probably think there's nothing more annoying than seeing your character get killed. Actually, part of you might secretly enjoy the experience.

Outwardly, players might seem to hate seeing their character get shot or killed, but their facial twitches, brain activity, heart rate, perspiration and respiration told a different story. Players often showed signs of positive emotion when they character got wounded or killed off.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 10:30 AM
link   
thought it would be interesting to post this even though I as a gamer totally disagree with the findings. Nothing is worse than getting killed in a good game especially a multilayer one. can anyone prove me wrong and prove the article right?

www.newscientist.com

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by DuneKnight

thought it would be interesting to post this even though I as a gamer totally disagree with the findings. Nothing is worse than getting killed in a good game especially a multilayer one. can anyone prove me wrong and prove the article right?

www.newscientist.com

When I played PvP I didn't like getting killed ever...

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 10:36 AM
link   
I don't think this is a big deal really. I mean whenever I did it and got killed, it was like a 'Oh, it's ON!' type of feeling, or like a 'Alright, here's a challenge' type of feeling.

I think these findings might be looked at the wrong way by some people.

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Gamers enjoy getting killed in a way because it shows that there is a challenge.... and time to err.... reflect if you've been doing good. Who here enjoys a game you can just rush through first time?

And this article is stupid.... kill a gamer 10 times in a row, and let's see if he 'enjoys' it.
. Morons.

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 10:50 AM
link   
maybe the article is trying to say is that games mimic real life and that people in real life are excited when they get killed. who knows the only way we can know is if we ask a dead guy how he feels

[edit on 9-3-2008 by DuneKnight]

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 01:07 PM
link   
On a raid 2 hours in 4 beers down need a bio and get a beer yes I dont mind dying. In general no, dying is just a pain the ....

posted on Mar, 11 2008 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Players often showed signs of positive emotion when they character got wounded or killed off.

i think its more like when your having great fun and your mate kills you with a head shot from afar, or maybe a hand grenade..
actually, perfect example would be getting run over by a jeep in a shooter game, or being pistol whipped while you got a big machine gun.

you kinda laugh and say "aah you dirty bugger!" while smiling and kind of appreciating the clever way in which he outsmarted you.

[edit on 11/3/08 by Obliv_au]

posted on Mar, 11 2008 @ 12:59 AM
link   
That is kind of strange. Why do death and degrading things turn me on? I'm completely against them. Is there any relation?

[Edit: Heh, think I'll keep it simple.]

[edit on 11/3/2008 by Nyorai]

posted on Mar, 11 2008 @ 02:34 PM
link   
This is so wrong. You play to win the game. Nothing positive comes from dying in a video game. Unless you have to go to the bathroom or answer the phone. Whoever funded this study is a idiot, or their test subjects were not gamers.

Outwardly, players might seem to hate seeing their character get shot or killed, but their facial twitches, brain activity, heart rate, perspiration and respiration told a different story.

I can say all of these emotions do happen, but its out of rage.

posted on Mar, 11 2008 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Then how come every time I kill people in COD4, they get diarrhea of the mouth and proceed to call me a hacker/noob/lagger?

posted on Mar, 11 2008 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by DuneKnight

From playing Tomb Raider hours on end it sometimes was a great stress relief to launch Laura Croft off of some high platform and watch her break her neck.

Kinda like in hockey, when a player wants to stop the action for a break they will knock the puck up over the glass. It stops the momentum of the game and gives the players a break.

new topics

top topics

join