It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If the earth stops revolving/rotating

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 03:09 AM
link   
2012 and Global Warming aside,I have another theory how earth could end.
Not sure if this has been talked about or discussed,but here goes.

To my knowledge the earth is travelling around our sun at approximately 67,000 miles
per hour.It has been discussed that an erthquake with enough magnitude could change earth's axis.What if a large earthquake caused its balance to be lost altogether?Would it spin off its path?or will it stop abrubtly?
I have been thinking and if this happens,things inside earth will continue travelling at 67,000 miles per hour!
Just like how passengers inside a car continue moving forward in a crash.
anyone could see if this is possible?

posted on Mar, 7 2008 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tickre32
It has been discussed that an erthquake with enough magnitude could change earth's axis.What if a large earthquake caused its balance to be lost altogether?Would it spin off its path?or will it stop abrubtly?

It has been discussed by who, it's the first time I read of something like this?

I don't think it's possible that an earthquake can change Earth's orbit.

To change the orbit of any object a force must be applied to it, not inside it. As the expanding gas from a rocket applies a force to the rocket or an asteroid hitting another asteroid will apply a force to it, only something that would apply a force to Earth could change Earth's orbit.

The Earth, as far as I know, is not like a bus (for example) that rocks from side to side when the people inside it move from one side to the other. There is nothing "shaking" inside Earth.

And if something strong enough to make a change in the Earth's orbit would happen then we will be all dead and would not see the results of the change.

PS: Sorry if my explanation is a bit mixed up, I am a little tired and I think that I may be making incoherent sentences.

posted on Mar, 7 2008 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

I really do not know much about the subject, but powerfull earthquakes can affect earths axis/speed of rotation. Not sure that orbit will be affected.
This is what happened in Indonesia tragedy in 2004:

The shift of mass and the massive release of energy very slightly altered the Earth's rotation. The exact amount is not yet known, but theoretical models suggest the earthquake shortened the length of a day by 2.68 microseconds, due to a decrease in the oblateness of the Earth.[20] It also caused the Earth to minutely "wobble" on its axis by up to 2.5 cm (1 in) in the direction of 145° east longitude,[21] or perhaps by up to 5 or 6 cm (2.0 to 2.4 in)

en.wikipedia.org...
To stop the Earth completely - i do not think that any earthquake will be capable of that.

posted on Mar, 7 2008 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by ZeroKnowledge

Yes, yes. Wobble. Unless energy is added or removed the overall orbit will remain constant. Imagine a "trick basketball" that oscillates as it arcs.
Any change in the center of gravity of the spinning object will impart "some" wobble moment.

Vic

posted on Mar, 7 2008 @ 06:35 PM
link   
There is a prophecy about the shortening of Days. This has to do with the earths axis. The prophecy if the axis were to tilt it could cause a major disturbance, creating volcanoes and earthquakes of astronomical proportions. I believe this is already happening right now. Planet Niburu being the Death Star coming closer to the earth may have an effect on this as well as the earths astrological shift in into the new age.

The prophecy that I know of says that the sun now sets in the west, will someday rise in the west and set in the east. However East and West could change I imagine if the earth loses it's tilt. I believe this is also what happened during the great flood. Which would explain why we have many lost underground cities like Atlantis.

posted on Mar, 7 2008 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by 12.21.12
There is a prophecy about the shortening of Days.
Could you point to some reference of that prophecy? Thanks.

The prophecy if the axis were to tilt it could cause a major disturbance, creating volcanoes and earthquakes of astronomical proportions.
If the axis tilts it will not affect the length of the days, one day is the time it takes for the Earth to do a complete rotation, changing the angle of its axis regarding the plane of its orbit would not change its angular velocity.

I believe this is already happening right now. Planet Niburu being the Death Star coming closer to the earth may have an effect on this as well as the earths astrological shift in into the new age.
Planet "Niburu" (wasn't it Nibiru? Was this a mistake or is it a different one? Or the same with a new name, like they do to products that start to sell less than it was hoped
) is an unproven thing.

After we have some proof that it exists and that it's coming closer to Earth and that it would affect the Earth's rotation and/or orbit I will start thinking about it.

The prophecy that I know of says that the sun now sets in the west, will someday rise in the west and set in the east. However East and West could change I imagine if the earth loses it's tilt. I believe this is also what happened during the great flood. Which would explain why we have many lost underground cities like Atlantis.
When we have some proof that Atlantis existed and all those "many lost underground cities" I will think about it.

posted on Mar, 7 2008 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Sorry but I think I have heard bits and pieces of this same prophecy from different sources. I do however follow up on the Bible Codes on Exodus2006.com quite regularly, as I have been watching the activity on the site for some time now and seen some of the dates pass with amazing accuracy.

That site is a great research tool, thats usually where I begin and I usually do my research based on the codes.

posted on Mar, 7 2008 @ 07:03 PM
link   
It is funny how things can happen coincidentally, isn't it?

I got an email from a friend the day before yesterday (a "FWD"). It relates to this subject, to some degree.

Now, i haven't checked any details of this email, so it could be 100% hoax. I don't know. But i am sure someone here will take on the challenge. If nothing else, it presents for some interesting thought experiment.

The email i received was:

Subject: Fw: MISSING DAY IN TIME ACCORDING TO THE BIBLE

NASA AND THE BIBLE......... this is pretty amazing and interesting!!

For all the scientists out there, and for all the students who have a hard time convincing these people regarding the truth of the Bible, here's something that shows God's awesome creation, and that He is still in control.

Did you know that the space program is busy proving that what has been called "myth" in the Bible is true?

Mr. Harold Hill, President of the Curtis Engine Company in Baltimore, Maryland, and a consultant in the space program, relates the following development.

I think one of the most amazing things that God has done for us today happened recently to our astronauts and space scientists at Green Belt, Maryland

They were checking out where the positions of the sun, moon, and planets would be 100 years and 1,000 years from now. We have to know this so we won't send up a satellite and have it bump into something later on in its orbits.

We have to lay out the orbits in terms of the life of the satellite and where the planets will be so the whole thing will not bog down.

They ran the computer measurement back and forth over the centuries, and it came to a halt. The computer stopped and put up a red signal, which meant that there was something wrong with either the information fed into it or with the results as compared to the standards.

They called in the service department to check it out, and they said, 'What's wrong?' Well, they found there is a day missing in space in elapsed time.

They scratched their heads and tore their hair out. There was no answer.

Finally a Christian man on the team said, 'You know, one time I was in Sunday School, and they talked about the sun standing still.' While they didn't believe him, they didn't have an answer either, so they said, 'Show us, '

He got a Bible and went to the book of Joshua where they found a pretty ridiculous statement for any one with 'common sense.'

There they found the Lord saying to Joshua,

'Fear them not, I have delivered them into thy hand; there shall not a man of them stand before Thee.'

Joshua was concerned because he was surrounded by the enemy! And if darkness fell, they would overpower them. So Joshua asked the Lord to make the sun stand still! That's right... 'The sun stood still and the moon stayed and lasted not t o go down about a whole day!'

(Joshua 10:12-13)

The astronauts and scientists said, There is the missing day! They checked the computers going back into the time it was written and found it was close but not close enough. The elapsed time that was missing back in Joshua's day was 23 hours and 20 minutes ... not a whole day.

They read the Bible, and there it was about [approxi-mately] a day. These little words in the Bible are important, but they were still in trouble because if you cannot account for 40 minutes, you'll still be in trouble 1000 years from now. Forty minutes had to be found because it can be multiplied many times over in orbits. As the Christian employee thought about it, he remembered somewhere in the Bible where it said the sun went BACKWARDS.

The scientists told him he was out of his mind, but they got out the Book and read these words in 2 Kings that told of the following story: Hezekiah, on his death bed, was visited by the prophet Isaiah who told him that he was not going to die. Hezekiah asked for a sign as proof. Isaiah said 'Do you want the sun to go ahead 10 degrees ?'

Hezekiah said, 'It is nothing for the sun to go ahead 10 degrees, but let the shadow return backward 10 degrees.' Isaiah spoke to the Lord, and the Lord brought the shadow ten degrees BACKWARD! Ten degrees is exactly 40 minutes!

Twenty-three hours and 20 minutes in Joshua, plus 40 minutes in Second Kings make the missing day in the universe! Isn't it amazing?

References: Joshua 10:8 and 12,13 and 2 Kings 20:9-11.

posted on Mar, 7 2008 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

I recalled seeing something similar at TrendMicro about an email thing. A link.

Cheers,

Vic

posted on Mar, 7 2008 @ 07:19 PM
link   
I wonder how a missing day more than 2000 years ago could mix up the calculations of the positions of the Sun and the planets between now and 1000 years in the future...

PS: I don't think they need to know where the Sun and the planets will be in 1000 years from now unless they are expecting to make a satellite that travels 1000 years just to reach another planet or the Sun.

posted on Mar, 7 2008 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Well planet Niburu has supposedly passed by before causing the same kind of things to happen, so it wouldn't be the first time, must be part of a Grand Cycle.

posted on Mar, 7 2008 @ 08:14 PM
link   

What if a large earthquake caused its balance to be lost altogether?Would it spin off its path?or will it stop abrubtly?
I have been thinking and if this happens,things inside earth will continue travelling at 67,000 miles per hour!

Google Newtons laws of motion and re think a bit...

Ok spinning off path is a possibility - for that start with thinking about a game of pool, then add a 3rd dimension and factor in gravity (I know hard on paper - but as a general idea it's ok)

Will is stop abruptly??? Well.. An object will remain in motion unless an equal or greater force is acted upon it... So what force do you envision would do that? - If you were falling off a cliff and on the way down a stomach ulcer burst with enough force to rupture your abdomen, would that mean you stopped falling? - or even returned to the top of the cliff??
seriously....

Edit: I'm embarrassed I actually replied to this... Must be bored

[edit on 7/3/2008 by Now_Then]

posted on Mar, 8 2008 @ 12:36 PM
link   
thanks for explanations.the ulcer thingy was helpful.lol
And yes supposedly the end of days are around the corner when the sun rises from the east.
As for a force required to stop it...

That brings it back to Planet X.
oh well.

posted on Mar, 8 2008 @ 01:19 PM
link   
At least I could walk to the east in half the time.

posted on Mar, 8 2008 @ 01:55 PM
link   
OK, I think a 'scientific' way to discuss this might be the following:

If a Billion shuttle engines were somehow attached tangentially to the earth, it would take 800-900 years to bring the Earth's rotation to zero.

or

If one Shuttle engine was attached tangentially, it would take 840 billion years.

So we're talking about a very large force. The Earth's angular momentum (h) is the product of the moment of inertia and angular velocity (J x ω), which gives 7 x 10e33 newton metre (Nm) seconds.

Think of the Earth's spinning as an ice skater. For the Ice skater to speed up, they pull in their arms. Now when they do that, a certain percentage of their body mass is redistributed to the center. Figure your arms are about 1/10th of your body weight.

So for the Earth's rotation to change dramatically, there'd have to be a large movement of the crust in or out. Now typically even a large earthquack doesn't really move mountains. They just make some cracks in the crust and move surface stuff around and vibrate. So you're not really have a large mass of anything changing wrt the center.

Also with a presumably iron core at very high pressures, the external crust down to many miles is really not a significant actor on the center mass.

The Richter scale is based on the log of the amplitude. Each increment is 1000 times the previous. So a category 12 Earthquake may have something on the order of a billion Newton meter seconds.

Compare approximately 10e9 with 10e33. It's a tiny effect in comparison. Even a 10e12 (trillion) is small compared to the Earth's angular momentum. Plus though the force is large, it's of a VERY short duration. A few seconds to a few minutes.

Here's a link that will give you some idea:

en.wikipedia.org...

(disclaimer: my math may be off a couple factors, but I think it's roughly close enough that you can see the comparison)

HTH

PS, yeah the email NASA missing day thing was an urban legend.

[edit on 8-3-2008 by Badge01]

posted on Mar, 11 2008 @ 08:02 PM
link   

thanks for explanations.the ulcer thingy was helpful.lol
And yes supposedly the end of days are around the corner when the sun rises from the east.
As for a force required to stop it...

That brings it back to Planet X.
oh well.

Umm... Doesn't the sun always rise in the East??

posted on Mar, 11 2008 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by thejes7er

Nice to see someone is awake!

Originally posted by Badge01
OK, I think a 'scientific' way to discuss this might be the following:

If a Billion shuttle engines were somehow attached tangentially to the earth, it would take 800-900 years to bring the Earth's rotation to zero.

Would it not have more effect on the atmosphere than on the planet itself?

Also, if it worked, another thought. The molten part of the core would not stop spinning due to it being liquid and having momentum. When it appeared we had reached a stop and turned the engines off, because part of the core was still rotating, this would start the rest of the planet rotating again, albeit slower than before.

We'd have to keep those engines burning for a lot longer to allow for the spinning core to slow down due to friction.

[edit on 11/3/2008 by Irma]

posted on Mar, 11 2008 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Irma

Good point.

Like when we spin an egg and stop it, if we let go of it it starts spinning again.

posted on Mar, 11 2008 @ 09:27 PM
link   
ok nevermind the fact that this guy's comments are comming straight out of a direct to DVD movie, i must say that that is probably the most retarted concept ever.
The earth will stop spinning the day the sun blows up ok

posted on Mar, 11 2008 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

Yeah, exactly. I was trying to think of a good analogy, but couldn't. Thanks for that.

I can't even begin to get my head around how much longer it would take to stop though.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join