It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pat Buchanan Article

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 12:20 PM
link   
I have just read this article by Pat Buchanan regarding the new book by Richard Perle (located at www.amconmag.com... ).

Now normally Pat and I do not agree on much but in reading his analysis of the atual threat by terrorist vs impressions of threat I find him to be quite enlighted on the topic. Additionally there is so much discussed I guess it could spark quite some discussion on this board. Have a read, takes a bit of time but certainly brings up some thoughts.

Here are some key comments I found:

An End to Evil: How to Win the War on Terror opens on a note of hysteria. In the War on Terror, writes Perle, �There is no middle way for Americans: It is victory or holocaust.� �What is new since 9/11 is the chilling realization that the terrorist threat we thought we had contained� now menaces �our survival as a nation.�

In the worst of terror attacks, we lost 3,000 people. Horrific. But at Antietam Creek, we lost 7,000 in a day�s battle in a nation that was one-ninth as populous. Three thousand men and boys perished every week for 200 weeks of that Civil War. We Americans did not curl up and die. We did not come all this way because we are made of sugar candy.

Puts things into perspective for me..

In 25 years, militant Islam has seized three countries: Iran, Sudan, and Afghanistan. We toppled the Taliban almost without losing a man. Sudan is a failed state. In Iran, a generation has grown up that knows nothing of Savak or the Great Satan but enough about the mullahs to have rejected them in back-to-back landslides. The Iranian Revolution has reached Thermidor. Wherever Islamism takes power, it fails. Like Marxism, it does not work.

This is true and backed by the history shown here. I often wondered what the real threat made by radical Islam is and how does it truly affect me and my family. Some "criminals" attacked up yes, they should be punished but is it really a reason to overthrow govenments? It is reasonable to assume their own people will ensure their own freedom in time and possibly grow as a people by learning through hardship and failure.

Yet, assume it (radical islam) makes a comeback. So what? Taken together, all 22 Arab nations do not have the GDP of Spain. Without oil, their exports are the size of Finland�s. Not one Arab nation can stand up to Israel, let alone the United States. The Islamic threat is not strategic, but demographic.

I know that some people have told me that if a nuclear weapon was set off in an American City I might feel bad for agreeing that we are making the threat more than it is. Again I say it is more about a band of criminals and less about govenments. If a government is sponsoring the criminals we should still get the criminals first, then maybe use the world court to punish those that helped. I just want the head of anyone that commits a crime of the magnitude of 9/11. I could care less if Sadaam was celebrating or if the leaders of Iran high fived each other and sent a check to UBL.

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Pat's on the money. Look no farther than the Neo Con cabal. They are your true criminals. I"m not saying Bush knew this or not. He's such a knob they could've easily fooled him too.

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Gee ECK how nice of you to compliment us. So what have you done to make the world a better place today, type that response?

join