It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alien Hand Syndrome?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 01:04 AM
link   
Hey guys was recently reading about (AHS) Alien Hand Syndrome and found it a quit intresting topic.

was reading through the facts and i started to think could this be just an error in the brain making your hand commit an offence of trying to choke ya self to death? or the evil part of a human brain on the loose from a small mistaken hit in the mind?

here are some info on the topic

Alien hand syndrome sounds like something from a B-grade horror movie, but it's a real condition. You could be completely at the mercy of your own, renegade hand.

You're napping on a breezy Sunday afternoon in the hammock of your backyard, enjoying the peace and quiet of your suburban utopia. Slowly, your left hand eases up, wraps around your neck and you awake to find your own hand locked in a kung-fu grip on your throat. You pry it loose with your other hand, finger by finger, until it relents and you're left there staring at a hand that suddenly doesn't feel like your own. While it sounds like something from a B-grade horror movie, it's actually a very odd and very real medical condition known as "alien hand syndrome" (AHS).

Link

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 01:06 AM
link   

Alien hand syndrome wasn't
clearly defined by doctors until 1972.

Victims of alien hand syndrome
can go to extreme measures to
ensure their hand stays put.

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 01:10 AM
link   

Research has been sparse over the years due to the scarcity of cases, but a study by a team of Swiss doctors in July 2007 has shed new light on AHS. The doctors conducted functioning magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) tests on a victim of AHS to determine what sections of the brain showed activity during planned and unplanned movements. They found that planned movements originated in the frontal lobe before being sent to the motor strip, while the alien movements showed no activity in the frontal lobe -- the movements originated from the motor strip itself. Furthermore, the signal remained in the motor strip without sending a message back to the frontal lobe, leaving victims unaware of their own movements. While the motor strip has finally been successfully singled out as the center of activity, it's still not known what triggers the signals to begin with, leaving the condition as a mysterious medical curiosity

Source

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 01:15 AM
link   
Interesting subject, I take it you watched Dr Strangelove recently…

To me it seems very similar to split brain patients on some levels. These are people who have damage to their corpus callosum, and there is a lack of communication between the hemispheres of the brain. I guess it gives a whole new meaning to “the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing” at any rate.

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 01:16 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 01:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by defcon5
Interesting subject, I take it you watched Dr Strangelove recently…

To me it seems very similar to split brain patients on some levels. These are people who have damage to their corpus callosum, and there is a lack of communication between the hemispheres of the brain. I guess it gives a whole new meaning to “the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing” at any rate.

nah i just was on howstuffworks and it caught my eye i am getting into it right now i read about it its intresting the parts of the brain that meet and dont meet and if these dont meet it stuffs things up intresting yeh

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 01:24 AM
link   

most commonly after a radical procedure that treats extreme cases of epilepsy. When the callosum is damaged, it leaves the different sections of the brain disconnected and unable to speak to each other

Source

what happens then it cant connect and interact what interacts with the parts to make it do the right thing this leaves the person or the area not controlled by the proper task? could this be were the evil takes place? or it could be a thought or something.

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 01:28 AM
link   
In case you’ve never seen it this is the disorder that Peter Sellers was playing up to such comic effect in Dr Strangelove:

You should also check into the split brain stuff, you’ll most likely enjoy that as well.

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 01:31 AM
link   

In case you’ve never seen it this is the disorder that Peter Sellers was playing up to such comic effect in Dr Strangelove:

You should also check into the split brain stuff, you’ll most likely enjoy that as well.

lol wierd and funny video preety old also what year is that around the 70s 60? but yeh i see how he grabs his neck and moves the hand its wierd but also intresting i must go check this split brain on how stuff works site asap thx man

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 01:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by SaadAdam
what happens then it cant connect and interact what interacts with the parts to make it do the right thing this leaves the person or the area not controlled by the proper task? could this be were the evil takes place? or it could be a thought or something.

Each lobe controls different things, and when the network wiring between them is damaged you can get random results, scrambled messages, each side thinking a different thing, etc. Basically there is no coordination between the different sides of the brain which control different things and thought processes.

For example if you showed the person a picture of an orange to the eye that is on the same side as the lobe that interprets taste (they cross, so it would be wired to the wrong side of the brain for taste), them asked them to describe the taste of what they see, they could not do it. If you change the picture to the other eye and show them the same picture, they could describe the taste as normal.

Hope that helps some.

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 01:40 AM
link   
This sounds like what happened to the main character in the second Army of Darkness movie. His hand became possessed and tried to kill him. Then he took a chainsaw and cut it off I believe if I remember it right. I thought the whole thing was made up by Hollywood. The idea that your hand could become possessed by itself that is. The hand continuing to attack the original owner after it was cut off I know was made up by Hollywood.

Never knew this could happen. Thanks for sharing.

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 01:46 AM
link   
reply to post by SaadAdam

Peter Sellers was playing a man with Alien Hand Syndrome, not Split Brain, though both disorders are related to damage to the corpus callosum, which to put it in computer terms, acts like a network cable linking the hemispheres of the brain together. From your link above:

Think of the corpus callosum as the brain's e-mail server, a bundle of message sending nerves that connect and share information with the two hemispheres. Alien hand syndrome is a result of damage to these nerves. This damage most often occurs in brain aneurysms, stroke patients and those with infections of the brain, but can also manifest as a side effect of brain surgery, most commonly after a radical procedure that treats extreme cases of epilepsy. When the callosum is damaged, it leaves the different sections of the brain disconnected and unable to speak to each other -- its e-mail is permanently down. With AHS, one hand functions normally, carrying out purposeful tasks without signaling the other hand, resulting in a limb that can act on its own, sometimes in opposition to the functioning side.

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 01:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by SaadAdam
lol wierd and funny video preety old also what year is that around the 70s 60?

I am shocked that you have never seen this movie, here is a link to the WIKI page about it, it was filmed in 1964. You must have come across this scene somewhere, Maj Kong riding it in, people use it as their avatars.

[edit on 3/3/2008 by defcon5]

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 02:03 AM
link   

Each lobe controls different things, and when the network wiring between them is damaged you can get random results, scrambled messages, each side thinking a different thing, etc. Basically there is no coordination between the different sides of the brain which control different things and thought processes.

For example if you showed the person a picture of an orange to the eye that is on the same side as the lobe that interprets taste (they cross, so it would be wired to the wrong side of the brain for taste), them asked them to describe the taste of what they see, they could not do it. If you change the picture to the other eye and show them the same picture, they could describe the taste as normal.

Hope that helps some.

ahh like mixed binary code and clashed computer language its like we are matrixed lol.

thats intresting the taste part imagine that yeh like it cant function 100 percent like a normal man can do it will have errors and failers in the brain from the damage caused to it

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 02:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by orionthehunter
This sounds like what happened to the main character in the second Army of Darkness movie. His hand became possessed and tried to kill him. Then he took a chainsaw and cut it off I believe if I remember it right. I thought the whole thing was made up by Hollywood. The idea that your hand could become possessed by itself that is. The hand continuing to attack the original owner after it was cut off I know was made up by Hollywood.

Never knew this could happen. Thanks for sharing.

i seen that movie its a comedy no? its an classic comedy the part were he gets attacked by the skeletons in the graveyard and thay poke his eyes and crap now thats comedy

but yeh he does cut his hand of and put a chainsaw on it u think this could be about this?? or a small bio lol

i have the movie here actualy

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 02:07 AM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

ima check the imdb and wiki page of it i must buy this film now it seems intresting never came across it maybe i have just never knew about it till i found out now its good

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 02:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by SaadAdami seen that movie its a comedy no?

It’s the ‘Evil Dead 2”, here is the scene:

Warning, might have some foul language, defiantly has some violence, may not be appropriate for minors

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 02:12 AM
link   

Major "King" Kong riding a nuclear bomb to oblivion.

Loved this part lol i was laughing how it was happening he was like a cowboy lol intresting i checked the wiki on it it seems like a new make cover but classic film very old

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 02:14 AM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

lol its a good comedy how he acts that has something to do with alian hand syndrome for sure how its shown and potrayed as a comedy but thats just how it is in hollywood lol.

top topics

join