It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Americans feel affinity to Israel? A Question to Americans.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Im not saying its wrong or whatever all im trying to understand is the reason behind America's constant backing of israel, no matter what. so i speculated and listed reasons for that happening psychologically speaking not politically:

1. Israel like US is surrounded by barbarians who are waiting for israel to let their guard down.
2. Poor jews have suffered what no other race ever experienced. Our empathy and guilt will give them permission to do what they want since they rightously deserve it
3. Share a common bond, bible is an extension of the Torah and christens believe in Moses yet dont believe in Mohamed; even though Mohamed's people never ordered the killing of another prophet.
4. They run America through corporate interest and political connections, hence obamas and hilary's support and hate for anyone who speaks out against them is osterized by all americans as with Carter and mel gibson.
5. Israel is America's child. they need to be breast feed by giving them arms and mass destruction technology that will one day surpass any other nations.

----thats all i got for now.

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Because Americans believe in the old testament, so in reality they are not Christians, they are Judaism supporters.

Christians believe in the new testament, as Christ himself said upon the mountain of olives (he said "don't mention the old testament again...it's dead. I brought a new one upon this world.").

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Because Yankees feels guilty as Oedipus Rex to live upon European values while they (tried to) crush[ed] it in order to exist. So do they support Israël, in a manner of aloof repentance - or Teshuva.

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Because we've poured THIS much money into the enterprise, it'd be a shame to pull back now and look silly.

And yes, this is exactly the reason.

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Because Americans do not fear Jews the way they do Muslims. They do not want the Holy Land controlled by those they fear.

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Uhm, We like other people too.

America tends to befriend other Democratic nations. It's really quite logical. When you look for friends/allies you would hope they share a similar fundamental foundation.

Why do you think Iran and Syria are so buddy-buddy?

Nations like to share similar global goals. America, Britain, Canada, Australia would really like it if the entire planet were comprised of free democratic nations.

So pick your side. I'll take Israel over Iran any day of the week.

Becker

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 08:03 PM
link   

1. Israel like US is surrounded by barbarians who are waiting for israel to let their guard down.
2. Poor jews have suffered what no other race ever experienced. Our empathy and guilt will give them permission to do what they want since they rightously deserve it
3. Share a common bond, bible is an extension of the Torah and christens believe in Moses yet dont believe in Mohamed; even though Mohamed's people never ordered the killing of another prophet.
4. They run America through corporate interest and political connections, hence obamas and hilary's support and hate for anyone who speaks out against them is osterized by all americans as with Carter and mel gibson.
5. Israel is America's child. they need to be breast feed by giving them arms and mass destruction technology that will one day surpass any other nations.

Those are all the most cited reasons for support, although many of them are fallacies.
#1: Barbaric is more descriptive of the behavior of United States imperialism.

#2: Many other races have suffered genocide, such as the Armenians, and the Native American Indians.

#3: Christianity shares common roots with the Koran as well.

#4: No argument there

#5:Israel is more like America's bastard step child, I believe Britain ceded the stolen land to the Zionists.

The U.S. is a lot like Israel, both founded on stolen lands, politically corrupt to the core, posses a controlled mass media, and both have a core of religious fanatics.

I just want to be clear that I have no problem with religion as long as it is not used to force laws, systems, and actions on other people. I also value the core idea of the United States prior to the Whiskey Rebellion.

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 08:24 PM
link   
I think about your question frequently. See. I hate Israel. And I was born inside the borders of the United States(but I have never sworn alliegence to it or claimed to be a citizen). Why do most American's support Israel? Since I don't, I took it from the other direction. Where did my hatred of the last apartheid state start? U.N. Club in high school. Through UN Club I learned the dark truth about Israel. So I think the answer to the OPs question is "A lack of education". That's why they support Israel.

Vas

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by DuneKnight

Like anything else, in a country of 300,000,000 there are different views regarding the state of Israel.
The US government says that it supports democratic governments.
I guess then that cannot be the reason that the government seems to favor Israel, since Israel is far from a democracy, by any standard definition of the word:

www.palestineremembered.com...

excepts from the above link:

95% of Israel's lands (which is mostly owned by Palestinian refugees) is open for development to Jews only.

Palestinian Muslims or Christians refugees, who were born in the country and later expelled, cannot gain Israeli citizenship, of course, unless they convert to Judaism first!

Pretending to be Jewish in Israel is punishable by law with up to one year's imprisonment. On the other hand, if you pretend to be a Muslim or Christian the law does you no harm!

In the occupied West Bank there are "Jewish Roads" and "Non-Jewish Roads"

The only form of Judaism recognized by the "Jewish state" is Orthodox Judaism, so most US Jews could not get married in Israel. Furthermore, the only conversion to Judaism recognized is Orthodox, so most US converts aren't Jewish enough.

Israel issues national identify cards where the religion of the card holder is clearly shown in bold type

I think reason number 4 hits the nail on the head. Put Buchanan referred to it as "Israels' Amen Corner in Congress". Of course, Buchanan was vilified for his remarks by the main stream press of this country. Maybe that in itself tells you something.

Maybe we should ask the families of the 34 sailors who were killed or the families of the 174 injured sailors of the US Liberty what they think of Israel.

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 10:45 PM
link   
What about this, Revelation 7:4 which speaks of 144,000 Jews from the Israel tribes converting to Christianity. Now, I'm just having a little fun pondering the possibility but it would see as if Israel would need to be protected till this event in the bible could take place.

I am a bit dusty on the bible knowledge but maybe someone who knows more about the subject could fill us in on how this translates into everyday words.

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 11:12 PM
link   
As a Christian, one of the things I'm having trouble understanding is how people that call themselves Christian have no problem bombing innocent civilians to try to get a dictator like Saddam. I also have a hard time understanding how, as Christians, some people can make comments about wanting to kill Muslims, just because they are Muslim. In my opinion, people like that are NOT Christian, because Christ would never condone such actions.

www.reuters.com...

GAZA (Reuters) - U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon condemned Israel for using "excessive" force in the Gaza Strip and demanded a halt to its offensive after troops killed 61 people on the bloodiest day for Palestinians since the 1980s.

In addition, I have a hard time, as a Christian supporting a country that constantly attacks defenseless civilians, under the guise of "An eye for an eye".

Yes, Israel has also had their civilians attacked, but two wrongs don't make a right, and an "eye for an eye" leaves the world blind!

The Crusades were barbaric. The only Crusade I support is one that Jefferson pleaded for:
"Preach, my dear Sir, a crusade against ignorance"

Peace.

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 01:58 PM
link   
First I remember hearing that Lebanon is a democratic country and yet America still supported Israeli's attack on that country that proved later to be a miserable failure. To be honest I think America is the lesser of two evils when compared with Israel. America has had a long history of trial and error, and a constitution that separated church from state and not hellbent on reclaiming holy sites and so on. but Israel clearly has malevolent aims that it is building up to it. They really believe that the middle east belongs to them solely and their judgments are clouded by their religious fanaticism. arab countries like egypt know that someday they will be invaded once again by Israel because Israel thinks that its their land maybe as reparation for being enslaved once a upon a time.

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 02:10 PM
link   
I was raised in church in the USA and I was taught there that they are gods chosen people, and that basically they can do no wrong. There propaganda continues to this day, I have heard Christians say that the Palestinians aren't really Palestinians, so I guess this is a good enough reason to continue to bomb and imprison there population.

Funny thing is, is that I really have never known any Jewish people.

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 02:20 PM
link   
I'm not sure that I made myself clear. I think that there are MANY Americans that do not support Israel, in what it has done. I think that the main stream media in the US, and congress try to convince the world that there is universal support of Israel in the US, but there are many people that do NOT support Israel in what it is doing. People like Pat Buchanan, who ran for President, was accused of being anti-Semitic, because he made negative comments about Israel and congressional support. That is a typical reaction, when some try to vilify anyone that makes negative comments about Israel- call them anti-semitic. One can be against what the state of Israel is doing, without being bigoted against Jewish people. Israel is a State, not a religion. The United States was founded to be a haven for people, regardless of religion. It is as far away from Israel, as any nation can be. In Israel, if you are not Jewish, you cannot even be a citizen with full rights. That is anathema to America, as a country, and as a people.

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Becasue there is a huge, extremely well-funded lobby dedicated to making sure we send a chunk of each American's paycheck to Israel.

And of course, if you argue that the primary purpose of the American .gov is not to protect some European colony in the Middle East, it must mean you are a closet NAZI

Plus our country is under the thrall of hordes of apocalyptic Christians looking to bring about the end of the world, which they consider to be a good thing

They see Israel as the fated means of triggering this wonderful extermination of humanity, which is the only part they may be right about.

PS: in my experience most Americans don't feel any particular affinity for Israel - even most American Jews don't. Unfortunately a couple tiny but well funded and politically organized constituencies do...

[edit on 3/2/08 by xmotex]

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by xmotex

And of course, if you argue that the primary purpose of the American .gov is not to protect some European colony in the Middle East, it must mean you are a closet NAZI

Yes, isn't it interesting that the same people that call those that don't support Israel Nazis, are guilty of many of the things that the Nazis did in the 1930's and 1940's?

Such as"
Suspension of Habeas Corpus
Random checks and searches
torture
building concentration camps
signing orders by the leader
a one-party system - the Republicrats
The Patriot Act
"security" zones for free speech demonstrations
monetizing the economy (printing tons of paper dollars)
demonization of one religion

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Put all political and religious issues and sentiments aside and your question will be answered.
There are many hi tech Israeli companies that contribute to society by continuing to develop applications we tend to use on a daily basis.
The irony is the other side may use these same tools to cause fear and chaos on the rest of the world while continually spilling blood.

So one side is productive, the other, destructive!

Which side would you invest in?

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vasilis Azoth
Why do most American's support Israel? Since I don't, I took it from the other direction.

Who says most Americans support Isreal?

You don't... I don't... all of my freinds don't.

Can you please post evidence that "most Americans" support Isreal?

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Yes, and yet we still send $3 billion dollars to them every year. How many children would that provide health care for, in THIS country?

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by DuneKnight

I don't think people think that the United States is surrounded by barbarians (though Mexico is seen kind of badly).

I think that's something unspoken but sort of true. Not rationally, though, just emotionally.

I think it's more of the contrast between that sort of Judaism and some of the more extreme Muslims around them.

Maybe some corporate and political connections but I haven't seen anything huge on my own from the pro-Israel lobby.

I don't think so, I think it's more of protecting them from what's perceived as barbaric, bloodthirsty nations around them

Originally posted by wingman77
#1: Barbaric is more descriptive of the behavior of United States imperialism.

I strongly disagree with that. I think the United States has been somewhat interventionist since World War II, but imperialism doesn't seem to be any of it. The United States tends to rebuild nations rather than conquer and imperialize them. I don't believe in foreign intervention but it is very restrained.

#2: Many other races have suffered genocide, such as the Armenians, and the Native American Indians.

True, but the Native Americans weren't the victims of some centralized attempt at genocide. Their downfall was mainly the result of disease coupled with the combined disregard for their well-being, mainly motivated by ignorance rather than malevolence.

#3: Christianity shares common roots with the Koran as well.

I don't know too much but a lot of Islam seems more extreme and violent.

4 and 5 are alright.

The U.S. is a lot like Israel, both founded on stolen lands, politically corrupt to the core, posses a controlled mass media, and both have a core of religious fanatics.

I don't think so. The original European imperial powers may have done some wrong things to the original natives, but the United States itself didn't really steal anything in that sense - the worst thing seems to be Indian Removal. The mass media isn't very controlled (look at the free speech allowed compared to totalitarian countries). And I don't see a core of religious fanatics. There's the Bible Belt and some of the more extreme evangelicals, but there's a lot of rationality and even the spread of agnosticism/atheism.

Originally posted by ProfEmeritus
Yes, isn't it interesting that the same people that call those that don't support Israel Nazis, are guilty of many of the things that the Nazis did in the 1930's and 1940's?

Such as"
Suspension of Habeas Corpus
Random checks and searches
torture
building concentration camps
signing orders by the leader
a one-party system - the Republicrats
The Patriot Act
"security" zones for free speech demonstrations
monetizing the economy (printing tons of paper dollars)
demonization of one religion

Habeas Corpus is given to citizens, it is only suspended for non-citizens.
Citizens are not randomly checked and searched. This is unlawful search and seizure.
Torture, while I don't agree with it, is only carried out on foreign illegal combatants.
The United States does not have concentration camps.
By signing orders you mean signing statements, I think. They seem to work alright, except if the President deliberately refuses to follow an Act of Congress. I think that would be grounds for impeachment.
Free speech demonstrations are very widespread in the United States. Hell, they hold marches to give citizenship to illegals while waving the flags of their native countries!
I think that expanding the money supply is a bad economic policy but it's just that - a different way to run the economy. There are times when it actually helps.
And Islam isn't very demonized - I see a lot of things promoting tolerance. Most of the reason people see Islam as somewhat bad is because of the extremists who were all over the media due to their terrorism.

[edit on 2-3-2008 by Johnmike]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join