It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Students Punished After Buying Lunch With Pennies

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 07:52 AM
link   
A group of New Jersey middle school students were penalized with 2 days of detention after protesting a shortened lunch period by paying for their lucnh with pennies.

It's plastered on their shirts and these eighth graders wear it proudly because on Thursday they pulled a prank at the Readington Middle School, paying for their lunches entirely in pennies.

"At first it started out as a joke, then everyone else started saying we're protesting against like how short our lunch is," student Alyssa Concannon said.

Several lunch ladies who had to do the counting didn't think it was funny, even though some of the students put the coins in rolls. They're not authorized to put in their two cents but school officials say they felt disrespected and other students didn't get to eat lunch.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

wcbstv.com...

While I can see both sides of the argument here, I think the students showed good tact and behavior by protesting peacefully. They used a valid form of currency, and exercised their 1st amendment right of protest.

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 08:34 AM
link   
It seems that the school was unaware of the children's problem with their lunch time.

Going off half cocked is obviously something they have learnt from their fantastic government.

MonKey

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
I think the students showed good tact and behavior by protesting peacefully.

I think it was too, but I also think they should have seen if there was another way to fix the problem, before resorting to this. The article said they didn't know the students had a problem, so maybe if they spoke up at first they could have fixed it. And if they didn't they could have gone up to protesting.

I'm sure the children who didn't get to eat lunch that day didn't like it too much. But it was still a smart idea for protesting, even if it wasn't the best thing to do at first.

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Whatever else was accomplished, there was a good lesson in behavior and consequences.

In reality, the students at that age have no right to employ passive-aggressive measures to impede the function of their school.

They are there to learn and, in this instance, I think they did learn a good lesson.

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChiKeyMonKey
Going off half cocked is obviously something they have learnt from their fantastic government.

I don't think that's relevant, obvious, or even fair.

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 03:14 PM
link   
At the least, it seems they were paying attention in their Civics and/or US Gov't classes.

They did apparently research the student handbook, too.

Reminded me of the people around here - adults - who protested the raising of highway tolls by paying with pennies recently.

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 06:07 PM
link   
I don't agree with kids at the 8th grade level protesting anything. They should notify the PARENTS when an issue arises...and have them contact the school. This is the time they should learn that they/we don't always get our way and protesting/pulling something like this isn't going to get you anywhere.

Another MORE IMPORTANT thing is, NOWHERE in the news article or anywhere for that matter does it say how long the lunch period is currently. For all we know these kids already get 30 minutes (which is PLENTY). It may be a case where they think they desreve more and when they don't get it...like kids do...they throw fits and tantrums.

Don't know about you...but back when I was in 8th grade my school would of made life hell for us..lol..and then mom & dad would of been called and oh boy look out then..

[edit on 3/1/2008 by rcwj75]

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by GradyPhilpott

Rather than discuss a possible problem what we'll do is use a selfish act. Which amounts to nothing more than terrorist tactics, does this not sound even a little familiar to you Grady?

Preemptive strike ring any bells?

This is how children think you get things done. Wonderful!

Also I agree with rcwj75. Kids throw fits.

Rewarding them with media coverage is not going to help, more kids will see this and say "Yeah we could do that too!"

MonKey

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Rather than discuss a possible problem what we'll do is use a selfish act. Which amounts to nothing more than terrorist tactics, does this not sound even a little familiar to you Grady?

I get it, but it's not relevant and it's just a cheap shot and a real stretch at that.

I for one am offended when people take cheap shots at my country and I'm here to tell you so.

The real issue is do eighth graders have the right to use these types of measures with impunity.

Implying that they learned this from the US administration is absurd, to put it mildly.

It's just in bad taste to interject these kinds of jabs at our nation into any discussion that presents some oblique, far-fetched opportunity.

[edit on 2008/3/1 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 10:58 PM
link   
As has already been mentioned, the article doesn't say how long their lunch period actually is. There could be unwanted consequences for lengthening lunch, such as a longer school day, which would necessitate longer hours (and thus higher pay) for faculty and staff, and require altering bus schedules, etc. Such measures would have to be approved by the school board and the community. That would be a slow and complicated process.

This protest seems more like an exercise in demanding instant gratification.

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 12:11 AM
link   
I think we might be reading too much into this.

These are 13 year olds.

I think the kids were upset about a change they didn't like and a couple of students staged a prank.

Other kids wanted to get into the act and it got out of hand.

I doubt that these kids were trying to be on the level of Mahatma Gandhi and Martin King, Jr.

Regardless, they did get a good lesson in civil disobedience, peaceful resistance and passive-aggressive behavior and the possible consequences.

Good teachers and school administrators should know how to make the best of the situation.

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 02:32 AM
link   
That's hilarious...considering school lunches have always been disgusting anyways...at least my memories if it was. I'd give those kids a free dinner and a movie.

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 04:28 AM
link   
reply to post by GradyPhilpott

Grady. My comments were not intended as an attack on your country, your government yes, but not the country. I along with most people on these boards do not believe that a country and a government are one in the same. It could just as easily have been the UK.

This is a social issue, the leaders lead and their words and actions are felt throughout their people thus they are always relevant.

As for a cheap shot, well maybe, but I was going to go with...

"Maybe these kids heard about how worthless the dollar is these days and figured they'd get more using pennies!"

Have a great day.

MonKey

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Grady. My comments were not intended as an attack on your country, your government yes, but not the country.

Ours is a government of the people, by the people, and for the people.

And again, I don't know what the value of the dollar has to do with the subject.

Just another irrelevant, anti-US remark in a discussion about passive-aggresive middle-schoolers.

You should really try to stay on topic.

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 10:08 AM
link   
I'm just amazed there were that many kids that could count to 200! There is hope for our government run education system yet!

Pennies are still a legal form of currency, can't wait for the lawsuits on this one!

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott

Grady. My comments were not intended as an attack on your country, your government yes, but not the country.

Ours is a government of the people, by the people, and for the people.

You are joking right?

I think you might just have a small chip on your shoulder, I am in no way anti-US. Anti-stupidity. Yes.

The whole thing was dumb, and then you have parents saying "I'm a little bit proud". The kids made T-shirts, don't these parents have any clue what their kids are doing?

Hmmm I suspect that they did... Dumb!!

MonKey

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
They are there to learn and, in this instance, I think they did learn a good lesson.

What, that freedom doesn't exist in the U.S.?

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 02:06 PM
link   
I think it is great, independent minds are still out there existing, even in public schools no less! How do you know they did not talk to their parents? A parent probably came up with the idea, lol... or at least the pennies for them to use. People would not protest unless there was something to protest about. Finally, how could the school not know the lunch was too short? Sounds like an excuse to me... one thing school staff lack is common sense just like CPS. Stupid people in those professions.

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by RexxCrow
People would not protest unless there was something to protest about.

Ok...sorry but untrue. People will protest and complain about ANYTHING these days. Founded or unfounded! And as I said, in 8th grade...just shut up and eat lunch in the time given. I guess now whevnever a rule is set that our little spoiled brats don't like we now allow them to protest and DEMAND what THEY want......and we wonder why our children and youth are on a downword spiral.

If it was truly something worth these kids to protest about, they should take it to the principal, tell him/her they want a meeting or a chance to speak their minds about concerns, etc....not just "protest" and cause problems thinking its ok for 13 year olds to demand anything!

Finally, how could the school not know the lunch was too short? Sounds like an excuse to me... one thing school staff lack is common sense just like CPS. Stupid people in those professions.

The school sets the lunch period...kids need to finish their food, not sit and jibber jabber, talkin on phones, etc....when we had lunch back in the day I think we had 30 minutes....thats plenty of time to eat, socialize and get back to class. As I stated earlier...none of us know what the time period was that was in affect. Lets find that information out first before thinking the school lacks anything.

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 04:01 PM
link   
The kids thought they had an issue, this is the form of protest they chose...that there are concequences goes without saying. When you want to stick it to the man, you'd best better be prepared when the Man sticks it back. So maybe both sides learned a lesson?

Better this than several other forms of protest I can think of...

I used this one myself couple of years back, after the state legislature overturned vehicle licensing rules voted in with overwhelming support. They ignored it, and raised my vehicle tab fees anyway. Instead of the 33 dollars, I was charged 43...a rather significant differance. So my form of protest, and I wasn't alone...I paid it in pennies. Four thousand three hundred of them.

Pissed off a bunch o' people...which was my entire point. Oddly enough, or maybe not, depending upon how paranoid you are...the county sent me a very polite letter saying my grass was too tall, even though it was freshly cut...you decide.

Never too early to learn to make a stand. Yeah, a short lunch period isn't important to us, but how about when we were in school. Perspective is a wonderful thing.

[edit on 2-3-2008 by seagull]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join