It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Particle collider's last big piece set

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Particle collider's last big piece set

news.yahoo.com

GENEVA - Engineers on Friday fitted the last major piece into what they say will be the world's largest scientific instrument — a nuclear particle accelerator in a 17-mile tunnel under the Swiss-French border.

The startup date for the Large Hadron Collider, eagerly awaited by scientists planning to use it for studying the makeup of matter and the universe, has not been set. Aymar said the $2 billion project, under construction since 2003, appeared to be on target for completion by this summe.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
World’s Largest Supercollider Could Destroy the Universe

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 07:41 AM
link   
There was some concern voiced about this here on ATS last month. Here's hoping they don't create a black hole with as has been speculated in the related thread I linked to!

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 08:15 AM
link   
I think they are trying for a star gate vortex wormhole type thing

Black holes are a scientific explanation for the absence of light and gravity.
Photons(light) and gravity(quantum) are both multi dimensional. There is no proof of the existence of Black holes. The black hole theory is just reverse engineering for big bang theorist.

I say fire it up !

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Black holes are created when super massive stars 100 times volume of our Sun implode into itself under enormous gravity sucking all mater in nothingness. Some material is dispersed in supernova explosion but the core is so dense that contracts and swallows itself up under gravity. When on earth can you create something so powerful if we are 100.000.000 times smaller then required for making such a thing?
Maybe some minuscule black hole that can be detected by electronic microscope but no way anything powerful to suck even mosquito in.

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 08:34 AM
link   
How many particle accelerators are known to the public?

Is this one diffrent to the others?

What kind of experiments will be conducted there?

I read in a science magazine that some of the experiments will be to send particles through time...and maybe even back....

this is quite perplexing.

also seems rather cheap i mean if roman abromivich wanted one he could buy one.

new weapon technology?

how big is the site any google earth images...

isn't there one in spain?

have fun...

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 08:45 AM
link   
eagerly awating whatever comes out of this!

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 08:47 AM
link   
We wont see many major experiments for a while out of this thing. First thing they are going to do is small tests similar to that of other smaller colliders. This will be done to make sure they get the results already known so that they know they have it up and running correctly.

Other problems possibly arising are the super cooled magnets that steer the particles around the loop. They will need to ensure these are fine tuned so that bunches of matter can be guided in singular lines smaller than a pin around the collider. If this is not correct it takes weeks possibly months to thaw the magnet, adjust it then re cool it.

As you can imagine a lot of testing and tuning. Imagine it like tuning a piano in before a major concert. I say wait a year or 2 for the tests then the real action can begin.

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 09:42 AM
link   
I hear the first big test that lets it stretch its legs will be around December 2012....

new topics

top topics

join