It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1 in every 100 americans in prison!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 03:38 PM
link   

1 in every 100 americans in prison!

news.yahoo.com

NEW YORK - For the first time in U.S. history, more than one of every 100 adults is in jail or prison, according to a new report documenting America\\\'s rank as the world\\\'s No. 1 incarcerator. It urges states to curtail corrections spending by placing fewer low-risk offenders behind bars.

Using state-by-state data, the report says 2,319,258 Americans were in jail or prison at the start of 2008 — one out of every 99.1 adults. Whether per capita or in raw numbers, it\\\'s more than any other nation
By DAVID CRARY, AP National Writer
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.pewcenteronthestates.org
www.pewcenteronthestates.org

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Does anyone have any explaination as to why this is?... Whats your conspiracy spin?... Who is behind it?

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Hmmmm. I dont have much spin....but im sure I can create some controversy by saying.......

Maybe people should stop breaking laws LOL

Who is behind it? Um, the criminals. LOL

Id rather criminals be behind bars, then out on the streets with little me. LOL Somehow, I managed in my 30+ years to stay out of prison. It wasn't very hard either.

I know.......I know....my response will be very unpopular. LOL

[edit on 28-2-2008 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 03:44 PM
link   
well when you throw people in jail for doing something wrong put them in with people of greater offenses, and you dont try to actively help them in any way shape of form that you might be able to, then they will just get out an do something worse to try an make money becuz america rarely like to hire felons or even anyone who was in jail. SO they find it easier an more benifital to comit crime to pay for whatever or to just ignore theyre plite.

Our jail is nothing more then a recruitment area for criminals, they either are beaten to think another way or are warped into thinking another way or the same way. any ways many just dont seem to be bothered by jail other then the time its not a big detorent from crime...

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Most are most likely due to drug charges. While I think that many drugs should be illegal jailing someone for buying drugs is sort of pointless. You can get drugs in jail just as easy as on the street you just have to pay for it in a different way.

In my opinion there should be some form of rehabilitation that is mandatory for the use of drugs. Leave the jails open for the real criminals such as theft, rape, murder and similar crimes.

I would say gang related violence is the second highest portion of the people.

Raist

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 03:48 PM
link   
This topic has already been posted:

1 in 100 U.S. Adults Behind Bars, New Study Says

Please continue all discussion in the linked thread.
And and if you don't want anymore of your threads shut down, read the section about repeat topics in this link.

Closed.

top topics

join