It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smoking Ban in South Florida till 9pm? (radio hoax)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Just got back from driving the kid to school and on the radio (Power 96) they are saying that there is a "Smoking Ban" indoors and outdoors today in Miami/Dade and Broward Counties till 9pm today due to the Red Flag warning for fire danger.

Now I've heard of red flag fire warning meaning no burning of debris, campfires, etc, but a smoking ban indoors and outdoors?????

Per the radio, the smoking ban will be enforced with a $182.50 ticket and stores aren't even selling cigarettes in some places.

I'm all for fire prevention and safety, but this seems a little extreme doesn't it?

btw if anyone can find info on this I'd appreciate it.

Here is the "red flag" warning, but no mention of a smoking ban
www.weather.gov...

[edit on 2-28-2008 by worldwatcher]

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 08:48 AM
link   
That is very strange.
I can understand not smoking outside i can even understand not smoking in your car as some people flick there butts out. I can not understand
saying you cant smoke inside where there are ashtrays.
i've never seen anyone flick a butt inside.

They might as well say no cooking, bb-qing, and turning on your lights
untill 9:00 That is just craazy

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 09:01 AM
link   
spoke to Broward Sheriff Office, they had no idea but I wasn't the first person calling about it.

They transfered me to Fire Rescue who also didn't hear anything about it yet, but were very helpful and said they would be contacting Power 96 to find out who their source is.

They also suggested I called the Dept of Forestry..btw I'm still on hold with fire rescue media dept as they check it out.

Off the phone with Broward County Fire Rescue Media Dept and the very nice lady told me that they "CANNOT CONFIRM" this at this time. She suggested I call other local news and the radio station for the sources and also Dept of Forestry.

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 09:13 AM
link   
I'm calling "Bull#" on this story and on the radio station for this story.

YES there is a Red Flag Warning but no one in any sort of position of authority can verify this smoking ban story.

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 09:14 AM
link   
I just heard Mexico was now instituting new anti-smoking rules(in restaurants and bars) measures. On the surface, it doesn't make a lot of sense. I think it is more a big psyop designed to get people used to obeying arbitrary orders. During last summer's fires here in SoCal I heard of numerous evacuation "orders" being issued to whole neighborhoods. Though there is no legal basis for any of these "orders." People who refused to leave were not legally harassed, as far as I know.

[edit on 28-2-2008 by starviego]

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 09:24 AM
link   
now on the radio, they are saying DJ Laz was just "punking" everyone with the smoking ban news

ummm yeah right.. they probably just ran with something without checking their source.... tsk. tsk. tsk... shame on them

join