It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Blind Irishman Sees With the Aid of Son's Tooth

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Blind Irishman Sees With the Aid of Son's Tooth

www.physorg.com

"I thought that I was going to be blind for the rest of my life," McNichol told RTE state radio.

After doctors in Ireland said there was nothing more they could do, McNichol heard about a miracle operation called Osteo-Odonto-Keratoprosthesis (OOKP) being performed by Dr Christopher Liu at the Sussex Eye Hospital in Brighton in England.

The technique, pioneered in Italy in the 1960s, involves creating a support for an artificial cornea from the patient's own tooth and the surrounding bone.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
rawstory.com

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Well slap my mouth and call me Sally.

How cool is this? We're getting closer to artificially recreating one of the most complex parts of the human body. I love it! Hopefully one day we'll be able to do it without having to sacrifice a tooth, but even still, we can always live with one less tooth. It's much more difficult to love without your eyes.

www.physorg.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

apc

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Some love better with fewer teeth.

"Now I have enough sight for me to get around and I can watch television. I have come out from complete darkness to be able to do simple things," McNichol said.

Really amazing. They don't say how quickly after the operation his sight returned, but the implication is that it was relatively fast. Now that's something to chew on.

new topics

join