It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What has the Muslim religion done for society

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Hello every body this is my first time posting anything on this website. I check it a couple of times a day and couldnt resist signing up for this one. What has the Muslim religion done for the world. I am not a christian or muslim or any religion and would like to know a little more about muslims contributions to the world. What have they done to make it a better place for everybody.

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 09:01 PM
link   
And the conspiracy angle is...?

C'mon, ya gotta have something.

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

As soon as I saw the thread title I thought of you. I knew you wouldn't let me down fox....
Let the games begin.

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by VIKINGANT

Hey, some of us in the CiR forum want some C with our R every now and then. Knuwuddi mean, Jellybean?

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

Was thinking along the same lines myself. Is it a legit general question or is it intended to go so somewhere intentional?
What have muslims done for society? 2 answers.
1/ Peace. True muslims promote peace which we cannot have enough of.

2/ Plenty of heated discussions in CiR

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Well according to this site...

Muslim Contribution to the World

Quite a lot.

www.google.com...

Easy to find to...

[edit on 27/2/2008 by ANOK]

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Inventing the numeral "zero" is my favorite contribution by Islam.

Arabic numerals including zero were the greatest contributions made by the Arabs to the mathematical science. The outstanding quality of Arabic numerals lies in the fact that they possess an absolute value. Huroful Ghubar was a novel form of numerals adopted in Spain by 950 A. D. The most significant numeral invented by the Arabs was zero which according to Carra De Vaux "was used by the Arabs at least 250 years before it became known in the west". Before the introduction of the zero it was necessary to arrange all figures in columns to differentiate between tens, hundreds, thousands, etc. The earliest use of the zero is given as 873 A. D.

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 09:25 PM
link   
I might have put this in the wrong place. I think it will be put in the right place if it is not where it should be. People always talk about the things they think are bad with the religion but what are the good thing's. What have they done to make the world a better place for every body to live here. I dont have a conspiracy angle here just a question. I think it would be a very good chance for the Muslims in this site to explain thier religion to people who might not understand why they do what they do. How do they justify religious justice like stonning for adultry and not letting women dress like they want to. Why not just let them be them selves and let people judge them for who they are instead of thier religion and live as equals is it Muslim people try to avoid jelousy if some one looks at thier wife. If some one does why is it thier fault if they are looked at by some one else. Why is it so bad to be alone with a man they are not related to if they cant trust thier wife why be with her in the first place.

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by ANOK

Alright, alright. BUT, aside from...
Sciences
Scientific Inventions
Astronomy
Mathematics
Medical Science
Hospitals
Historiography
Political Science
Geography, Travels And Exploration
Industrial Progress
Commerce
Agriculture
Educational Institutions
Libraries
Music
Painting
Architecture
Fine And Minor Arts

What the hell have the Romans ever done for us?
I mean Muslims!

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by goblue

What has the Muslim religion done for society

Hey, not looking to make a comparison here, but those are the exact words Hitler used to talk about Jews.

Dangerous path I see this thread going down...

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by goblue
How do they justify religious justice like stonning for adultry and not letting women dress like they want to. Why not just let them be them selves.

Yeah, Goblue. We can enumerate all the bad things about Islam if you want to, but I thought the intention here was to enumerate the good things? That is what I thought was special about this thread....

On the other hand, perhaps this is a conspiracy of reverse psychology? So as to drive home some hidden agenda? If that is the case, I guess this belongs in the Skunk Works forum after all, being a conspiracy and such.

No doubt, we can find the good and bad associated with any religion, any group of people, any ATS poster.

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 07:49 PM
link   
It is pretty cool to put something on here and get a reply. I have never done ant thing like that before. I didnt mean to have a negative sounding twist. It was a honest question. I had no Idea they contributed so much to the world. I would have chalked up allot of the answers to china.

Some of you asked where the conspiracy twist was It wasnt inteded to be that way but I might have one for you. Why did the allied forces change the middle east after WW2. I know some of northern Africa was involved in the war. Did they try to manipulate the Middle east for some reason why did they change it from this to what it is now.

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Buck Division
Inventing the numeral "zero" is my favorite contribution by Islam.

So to misquote you...Islam has done ZERO for society?

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Vikingant...that is funny.

My personal feeling on this is that contributions to the world don't come from specific religious beliefs, but rather individuals that have their own religious beliefs. I say this because I dont think it was the religion that inspired the great idea that sparked the contribution, but rather the idea of an individual (who may have a specific religious belief) that sparked the contribution. Many Muslims, Christians, Catholics, Orthodox, Buddhist, etc. have done both good and bad things for humanity, so lumping them all together under a religious category is a dangerous way of generalizing.

off topic...
GoBlue, I am assuming your name is referencing the maize and blue...if so, we may have to start a new religion soon...Mcguffie-ism!

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Muslims have done a lot.

Unfortunately, the radicals choose to be destructive, rather than productive, members of society.

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by goblue

It has shown US that they, have had two thousand years to get ready for the second coming.

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by goblue

The Arabs have had minor roles in society today..I mean, who needs algebra. Minor, very minor.

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Recommended reading on the subject:
"Being Arab" by Samir Kassir. It's a quick read (92 pp.), but highly informative. Kassir discusses the rich and productive cultures of the Arab societies pre-WWII, and laments the decline and fall since.

Kassir was a journalist of Palestinian origin who wrote articles strongly criticizing Syria and Pro-Syrian forces in Lebanon. He was assassinated when his car was rigged with explosives in June 2005.

Oh, and OP, it's easy to see what you are getting at, when you ask why the change post-WWII: Oil. Not exactly a mystery there. When the Western world began politicizing the Middle-East is when the extremism began. And, obviously, it must be good for business, no?

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Clashes between Nigeria's Muslim and Christian communities have left nearly 150 people dead and thousands displaced after five days of violence sparked originally by the publication of cartoons depicting the Prophet Mohamed.

In the southern city of Onitsha, where the worst of the killing took place, Christians yesterday burnt the corpses of their victims and defaced mosques in revenge for attacks on Christians in the north of the country earlier this week.

As several bodies burnt on pyres of flaming tyres and the stench of charred flesh filled the air, police began to clear away the dead lying at the sides of Onitsha's dirt roads.

"Security forces were collecting dead bodies of those killed in the two days of mayhem," said Emeka Umeh, head of the Civil Liberties Organisation in the city.

Last Saturday, violence broke out in Maiduguri, northern Nigeria, leaving at least 15 Christians dead and 11 churches in flames. The riots were led by Muslims furious at the cartoons, published in Danish and other European newspapers. More than 100 people were arrested and the army was called in to help the police. In revenge, on Tuesday morning, riots broke out against the Muslim population in the Christian city of Onitsha.

"The rioters were armed with machetes, daggers, clubs, knives and other metal objects," Mr Umeh added.

With their mosques and businesses burnt, more than 3,000 Muslim men, women and children have overwhelmed the local barracks, police stations and mosques seeking protection. The Red Cross reports more than 100 people dead in Onitsha "so far", and says it has treated about 70 injured. "They were attacked by mobs ... some have bruises, some have dislocations," said Anne Asiegbu, the organisation's area officer.

The Anambra state governor, Chris Ngige, has deployed 2,000 policemen on the streets and appealed for calm.

Nigerian analysts believe much of the violence is fuelled by political tensions concerning national elections in 2007. "This type of protest has a political undertone," said Mr Umeh.

The country is rife with rumour that President Olusegun Obasanjo may try to change the constitution and seek a third term, while others seek to use violence to further their political influence and position in the forthcoming elections. "Speculation that President Obasanjo will try to change the constitution so he can seek a third term is raising political tension and if proven true, threatens to unleash major turmoil and conflict," John Negroponte, the US intelligence chief, said this month.

"Such chaos in Nigeria could lead to disruption of oil supply, secessionist moves by regional governments and instability elsewhere in Africa," he added.

Nigeria's population of 120 million is split roughly in half - the northern Hausa are predominantly Muslim, and the southern Yoruba and Ibgo ethnic groups are mostly Christian. In 1999, Sharia law was introduced in many of the northern states, aggravating tensions between Muslims and Christians.

In September 2001, 915 people died in Jos after news of al-Qa'ida's attacks on America. More than 200 people were killed in 2002, following outrage when Nigeria tried to host the Miss World beauty contest.

Some in Onitsha have set deadlines for the Hausa community to leave. The city's deputy police commissioner, Haz Iwendi, said: "The various state governors are meeting to ensure that this does not snowball."

muslims and christains fighting...

well 150 dead....

look's to me they are killer's and basicly all relegion's.

all the thing's stated muslim's done are done by men...women... not muslim..christian's ect....

the relegion say's kill for yoru GOD inthe enternal my God is better than yoru god war.

there all stupid ..

but to me muslim's are just as soon to kill anyone over there god
as back in hte holywar time's of christainty..

to deny muslim relegion meen's you need to die lol

enough said...

BTW that's hitler style muslim's bielive in us or radical muslim's OR we will kill you for there jihad... so they become a martyer...

total bs i wouldn;t kill a man unless he harm's my family screw relegion if it take's dumb folk's allway's in these relegion's to go aroudn killin peopel for there god.... piss on those relegion's.

yes radical muslim muslim basicly the same ..same god.. kurhan what ever it is...
so be warned....
and that is my opinion flame me or what ever.

i say all killing for your god's name is dumb...
if your god want's you to kill for him to proove he a better god lol.... HE ISN'T MUCH OF A GOD....but that's just me lol

[edit on 3-3-2008 by beforetime]

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 03:11 PM
link   
150 DEAD becouse HOW dare someone make a cartoon of muhammed.

i have seen 5million jesus cartoon's...

1 milllion god chrtianity cartooon's....

and they make fun of it....

never saw them go on a 150 man killin spree to prrove there god was superior...
so go figure...

build a thousand bridge's peopel will call you a bridge builder....

kill 150 people over a cartoon soon people will call relegion's retarded...

so what ever muslim's say or do they just as soon kill you as listen to anything against there relegion.

ANd lord forbid you make a cartoon of muhamed lol

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join