It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White House to veto foreclosure bill

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 02:33 AM
link   

White House to veto foreclosure bill

money.cnn.com

The Democratic housing bill would change bankruptcy laws to allow judges to cut interest rates and reduce what's owed on troubled borrowers' mortgages, provide $4 billion to communities to purchase and rehabilitate foreclosed homes, and improve disclosure of subprime mortgage loans in hopes that borrowers won't be surprised by big payment increases.

But the White House said the $4 billion for purchases of foreclosed homes is too expensive and "would constitute a bailout for lenders
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.washingtonpost.com

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 02:33 AM
link   
Well, even though this is just a bill it is a surprise. It reads like people put on the hill might actually care a little bit about the voters who actually put them there. This article actually reads like the bill is being written to benefit the people and not the lending banks. Unfortunately it goes on to say the re write of the bill will remove most of those provisions because the lending institutions are fighting it so fiercely, so surprise there.

money.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 09:51 PM
link   
IMO this is just an attempted to make Republicans and Bush look bad. Giving judges the ability to reduce debt and interest rates is a fundamentally flawed idea. All it would do is prevent the banks from legitimately foreclosing on mortgages , encourage bad financial practices and discourage banks from giving loans to low - middle income people .

Of course that four billion could be used to buy homes for vets and improve health care for veterans in general but that wouldn't suit partisan politics .

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 06:47 PM
link   
I do think you may have been right Xpert. However I did find this for the latest on this issue.

An inappropriate use of taxpayer dollars is what President Bush and Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson call some plans in Congress to aid homeowners stung by the mortgage market mess. For their part, Democrats say the Bush administration is more interested in bailing out Wall Street than Main Street.

But despite the toxic reputation of bailouts, more and more lifelines keep getting tossed — including one administration plan dubbed "Project Lifeline."

With the housing market wheezing and presidential candidates seizing on the crisis, politicians and government officials will likely toss out more proposals, rescue plans and initiatives. Whatever these plans are called, both Democrats and Republicans are being careful to couch their proposals as an effort to aid homeowners — and not mortgage lenders — amid an ever-widening economic problem, though it's nearly impossible to aid one without helping the other.

raw story

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Well for now I am inclined to let things slide . Lenders who work on a unsound model deserve to go under . At some point targeting low income people for loans was going to catch up with those in question even if the stock market didn't .

Now I may heartless but if you think about first time home buyers and others in the market could have a chance to pick up a bargain without the need for a first home buyer scheme . As already noted the US government could also buy homes for vets .

Once things die down the merits of increased regulation can be debated . The last thing we want to do is to add costs to the process of buying a home or deter mainstream banks from lending to those people who are in a position to repay a mortgage.

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by xpert11

Xpert
the way I see it is the banks loan money to people who they know will be unlikely to pay it back for the purpose of foreclosing on there home so they can turn around and see it for even more money. Point being that does not mean they will be losing any money, they are robbing nickles and dimes from the working people. And if a bail out does happen hen they take it from the tax payers.

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by xpert11
Of course that four billion could be used to buy homes for vets and improve health care for veterans in general but that wouldn't suit partisan politics .

Huh? I mean HUH? I want you to respond to this. Veterans have NEVER been more sreweed than under this WHite House. Tri-Care? What's that? The thing the Republican Party blocked? A $1,500 bonus for all troops serving in Afghanistan and Iraq since all their wives and kids were losing their houses on FOODSTAMPS? BLOCKED by Republicans.

How about normal leave our Grandfathers enjoyed? No, to hell with that. That's "partisan" politics wanting Daddies to raise their babies once every three years isn't it? Weak terrorist lovers!?!

By the way, ONE-THIRD of ALL forclosures in Fayetteville ARE ACTIVE DUTY MILITARY FAMILIES.

Apparently, Food Stamps don't cut it. If I could say go to hell here I would.

Don't even pretend you know a god damn thing about military life on the Internet with me. Welcome to the Reality Party.

[edit on 2-3-2008 by RANT]

[edit on 2-3-2008 by RANT]

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by xpert11
IMO this is just an attempted to make Republicans and Bush look bad.

immortalizing this, you know... for the 'conspiracy.'

Taking the most popular Party and President down, I mean like, ever.

I mean it really irritates me. As a minority. By which I mean one of the last few idiots that believe this bull#.

You know, it really would have been a permanent majority too, if not for all those scandals. I hate the 1st Amendement as every executive-privilege loving Patriarch-based houseld in America does I assure you! But damn, have some restraint. Mom has TIVO. Beat her all you want, but she's gonna call the law on all your special interests, especially if you tape it. Duh.

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by RANT
Taking the most popular Party and President down, I mean like, ever.

Yeah the very greatest .

Bow before the righteous leader.

I mean it really irritates me. As a minority. By which I mean one of the last few idiots that believe this bull#.

Well I do have do a line in the sand here and put all jokes aside .
Bad policy is bad policy no matter what side of the fence it comes from Period. Ease up a bit I deal the facts on a case by case basis I have never defended the poor veterans system in the US or pay rates e.t.c .

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Ok. we're cool. Vets are just a soft spot for me. I can't buy ink at Wal-Mart without 20 somethings in wheelchairs asking if they can help me.

This war is wrong. This governments trade policy is wrong. We have American traitors running nearly everything.

top topics

join