It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Killer robots set to terminate humanity

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2008 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Killer robots set to terminate humanity

www.news.com.au

GUN-totting robots developed for warfare could easily fall into the hands of terrorists and may one day unleash a robot arms race, a top expert on artificial intelligence says.
"They pose a threat to humanity,'' said University of Sheffield professor Noel Sharkey ahead of a keynote address today before Britain's Royal United Services Institute.

Intelligent machines deployed on battlefields around the world - from mobile grenade launchers to rocket-firing drones - can already identify and lock onto targets without human help.

There are more than 4000 US military robots on the ground in Iraq, as well as unmanned aircraft that have clocked hundreds of thousands of flight hour
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 26 2008 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Could this be true ?
God help us all if we are under the watchful eye of "Robo-Cop" !

www.news.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 26 2008 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Flawed logic. When their ammo, battery power or fuel runs out we rush them and beat them to scrap

I don't foresee any nasty metallic terminators turning on us in the foreseeable future.

posted on Feb, 26 2008 @ 11:53 PM
link   
For Prof Sharkey, the best solution may be an outright ban on autonomous weapons systems.

"We have to say where we want to draw the line and what we want to do -- and then get an international agreement,'' he said. unquote

Yeah right....... I can just hear them now, has never worked with any other weapon... dont like their chances with ninja robots.
Cheers
Mungo

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 12:18 AM
link   

I really do believe that we could, at some point in the not so distant future, have a serious problem with A.I. Weaponized A.I. plus nano-bots. Dangerous things "they" are tinkering around with these days.

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 01:23 AM
link   
Well, if they'd stop tinkering in the hopes of destruction and start in the view of peace we'd probably see things get a little better around here.

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 01:44 AM
link   
It's weird because just today, I saw these things in a trailer for a new video game called "Frontlines: Fuel of War" for the first time.

The bad news is these things are very real and they're in operation.

So you have to ask yourself, what is stopping them from deploying these as "robo-cops"?

The answer is nothing, other than an excuse to, and I promise you, they're loading that final bullet to be fired right in to the heart of the United States Constitution and Bill of Rights as we speak.

These things would be deployed everywhere, and they could be programmed to know who to target.

This isn't dangerous for "them" because they wouldn't be out on a battlefield or in public places anyway, so these robots wouldn't be targeting them.

It's meant for us little people. They test it out on the battlefield against the boogeyman where it is acceptable, and they fine tune it for domestic enslavement uses. That script has been reused, run over and exposed so many times, yet it still proves successful because NO ONE CARES! That's what allows them to get away with this bull#, because NO ONE CARES!

With current known technological achievements, this is one of the ultimate weapons at their disposal against us. These things can see us, and unless it's out in the open, we can't see it. These things can kill us, and we can't kill it.

Why risk a bloody, complicated round up of civilians with humans vs humans when you can release something that can kill and not be killed?; that can terrorize but cannot be defeated?; that has the advantage of machine vs man?

They're going to create a problem, get the reaction, and find a solution. Problem, reaction, solution.

The problem will be these robots falling in to "terrorists" hands and the "terrorists" deploying them in the United States.

The reaction will be fear, of course, by the American people.

The solution will be that our military will have to deploy it's own robots to hunt down the "terrorist" robots, all the while keeping people off the streets in a state of Martial Law, and basically American society and all of it's rights and freedoms being ruled by a bunch of armed robots with "them" controlling it all.

Like clockwork. It's the same every time.

Tweak this, change that. Change this word, tweak that detail, you're done. Your plan of domination is complete.

It's the same script, different wording, every time.

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 03:20 AM
link   
You've probably all seen this before, but if you haven't, take a look at METAL STORM.

They've created AI controlled weapons platforms with a stupidly high rate of fire, pistols that run on electronics etc. Technology + war = bad news for us.

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 03:44 AM
link   
well...that would certainly take alot of the guess work out of dying.gun toting robots though? a threat? i can MAKE an emp and there only like 15 bucks retail.

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 04:11 AM
link   

In "automatic mode," the weapon feeds targeting data from the fire control unit straight to the pair of 35mm guns, and reloads on its own when its emptied its magazine.
Source

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

"It appears as though the gun, which is computerised, jammed before there was some sort of explosion and then it opened fire uncontrollably, killing and injuring the soldiers."
The rogue gun began firing wildly, spraying high-explosive shells at a rate of 550 a minute, swinging around through 360 degrees like a high-pressure hose.

The unknown officer tried to shut the gun down but she couldn't because the computer gremlin had taken over.
Source

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Though a few steps removed from the dystopian future depicted in Terminator, it's not too hard to imagine sometimes.

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 05:43 AM
link   
Actually yes, completely plausible. A good friend of mine developed the code for a robot capable of killing a human being - including targeting and tracking a target even if the target moved behind something, as well as being able to travel 8mph or so (faster than humans can conceivably run for any period of time).. The military tried to buy it from him, but in the end he declined.

I may be able to rustle up the link about him and his partner that was on slashdot if anyone's interested.

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 05:55 AM
link   
With all the hi tech stuff out AI robot killers is easy to make. Take the newly announced headset for video games that reads your brain waves , add some adjustments and the next thing you know a person will be sitting at a video screen in a safe place controlling the actions of a robot.

WE are screwed if they use robots during martial law, well at least some of us. make some homemade pipe bombs and rid yourself of these robots.

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Further more, the probability of terrorists/extremists using these against us
must be high as pointed out in the article.

Apparently they are not hard to back-engineer, and of course there are always those willing to sell out to these extremists.

spoken like Arnold ........."Allah Achba"

Cheers
Mungo

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Britguy
Flawed logic. When their ammo, battery power or fuel runs out we rush them and beat them to scrap

I don't foresee any nasty metallic terminators turning on us in the foreseeable future.

Solar power and program to gather materials and produce ammunition will pretty much counter that flawed logic.

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by fooffstarr

fooffstarr, a star for you!

This is amazing technology. Leads me to an idea, hopefully not too off-topic. These weapons, in the hands and under control of the elitists, makes the AK-47 look like a pea shooter.

My point is, while there is a near and dear-to-heart held belief by most Americans to their right to own guns (I am NOT debating that right, just making a point) it looks like anyone with their guns is going to be completely 'out-gunned' and totally left out, if it comes to a fire fight.

Guess, no matter how well armed the average citizen may be, looks like he will always lose, due to inferior technology, compared to the opposition.

Brings us back to technology, and robots...IF this is even remotely true, then we should all take a tip from the 'Terminator' movies and learn about guerilla tactics to fight back, because all of your guns won't help when the enemy has superior firepower.....

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Inannamute
I may be able to rustle up the link about him and his partner that was on slashdot if anyone's interested.

yes, please do.

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

Simple solution, "kill" the robot, takes his weapons, now it is easier to kill more of them, and get more weapons, and so on. The field evens. Besides humans will always have the advantage of true creativity, lets hope that works out for us, if not all hail our glorious metallic overlords.

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 02:12 PM
link   
we just make sure to have some electro magnetic fence colums around your home and crank them badboys on when the time is right.... WHA LAH Robot parts!

they will have to build these out of non magnetic metal for them to really be human killers, not to mention fix there EMP weakness, robots while yes they are constant moving killers they are also just machines, an I dunno bout you but every machine I have ever bought eventualy breaks, or has multiple weaknesses or flaws that I have to deal with untill i can afford another, an another an another...

Just machines, Water jets could take em out, more electricity, Magnetics, they will not make it far, Oh yes they wont. * Raises arm in the air *

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Here's a link to a youtube vid showing a rather advanced AI robot, check it out

www.youtube.com...

[edit on 27-2-2008 by cynical572]

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 02:31 PM
link   
very interesting, first time i have heard of 4000 armed robots on active duty, talk about nwo martial take over, wow i guess without a heart i guess they would not mind killing americans, i will have to see more on this topic.. thanks for the nightmares lol

top topics

<<   2 >>

join