It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earthquake Jolts Southern Iran

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2008 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Earthquake Jolts Southern Iran

www.presstv.ir

A mild earthquake measuring 4.2 on the Richter scale has rattled the outskirts of Kaki, a city in the Iranian province of Bushehr.

According to Tehran University's Geophysics Institute, the quake occurred at 23:47 local time Monday (2017 GMT).

The Institute registered the epicenter of the quake in an area defined as 51.46 degrees longitude and 28.23 degrees latitude.

No report has yet been received of casualties or property damage from the quake.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 26 2008 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Are we entering a much more active shake, rattle and roll cycle? Does anyone here track proportionally an increase in quake activity? This seems to be a daily headline.

Peace

www.presstv.ir
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 26 2008 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Could be a nuke test as well!! The USGS has posted no info on it yet.

posted on Feb, 26 2008 @ 09:30 AM
link   

A mild earthquake measuring 4.2 on the Richter scale has rattled the outskirts of Kaki, a city in the Iranian province of Bushehr.

Funny, the North Korean nuke test yielded a 4.2 earthquake too.

If North Korea did manage to blow up a nuke of any sizable yield, it would show up as an earthquake on the various monitoring sites. Sure enough. There is a quake in NK at about the right time. Shows as a magnitude 4.2 blast.
source

[edit on 26-2-2008 by dbates]

posted on Feb, 26 2008 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by dbates

That there is a smoking gun!

I was thinking the same thing about the NK test!!

I actually hope it was a natural disaster.

MonKey

posted on Feb, 26 2008 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Also note that Kaki is in the same area as Bushehr, one of thier most advanced nuclear development sites.

US opposition to Russian construction of Bushehr rests on three issues; first that weapons grade plutonium could be extracted from the reactor allowing the Iranians to construct nuclear weapons. Secondly, the US fears that the Russians and the Iranians are using Bushehr as a cover for the transfer of other sensitive technology that would normally be prohibited. Finally, the US is concerned that the knowledge gained by Iranian scientists working at Bushehr could further Irans nuclear weapons program.

www.globalsecurity.org...

Google Maps link that shows the proximity of the nuclear site to the proposed site of the "quake."

All still speculation of course. We'll have to wait and see what's delaying the USGS from posting the earthquake data.

posted on Feb, 26 2008 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by DancedWithWolves

Are we entering a much more active shake, rattle and roll cycle? Does anyone here track proportionally an increase in quake activity? This seems to be a daily headline.
Peace

I would be more worried about a lack of earthquakes rather than an increase in them. Earthquakes (and volcanoes) relieve pressure along the earths fault lines. Imagine if this pressure is being held up for a long period of time.....then...boom! You get a 9.0 on the scale. Several smaller ones are better than one large one

posted on Feb, 26 2008 @ 10:01 AM
link   
dabates the bubble wrap is engulfing my life...........must breath.......

well just wait till these lil quakes trigger a wedge or get stuck.... then a biggie will come...

keep on nukin the earth will nuke back....

posted on Feb, 26 2008 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by dbates
All still speculation of course. We'll have to wait and see what's delaying the USGS from posting the earthquake data.

That right there is the interesting part of this. I've never known the USGS to have such a lag in reporting seismic activity anywhere in the world. I thought it was just automatic that quakes are recorded and the info displayed in real time..? Usually they just post a disclaimer that the info has (or has not) been reviewed by a seismologist.

posted on Feb, 26 2008 @ 10:15 AM
link   
As of now they are still showing the last earthquake in Iran to be a 4.0 on Saturday, February 16, 2008. I'lll keep checking back in to see if this gets updated later.

neic.usgs.gov...

posted on Feb, 26 2008 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Why would they test nukes in a populated area?

I don't buy it. I call 'natural occurrence'.

posted on Feb, 26 2008 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by DancedWithWolves

There's the Quake watch thread

That area is pretty active any way, but I'm not sure if the activity is normal or unusual.

posted on Feb, 26 2008 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by mythatsabigprobe

Sometimes it takes awhile meaning several hours to a day. They have to triangulate. The 2006 fall earthquakes in Maine certainly had a lag time before being listed on the map. Maybe Irans' isolation and politics delay info getting to the USGS. dunno...

posted on Feb, 26 2008 @ 10:47 AM
link   
AMAGADE ITS A NUKE!!

right , you do know that iran sits on top of a fault line don`t you?

www.seismo.ethz.ch...

^^ Iran is a very seismically active area

earthquake.usgs.gov...

^^ see that purple line? thats a MAJOR TECTONIC BOUNDARY

earthquake.usgs.gov...

mag 4.9 a few hundred miles away in afghanistan

AMAGADE THEY GOT NUKES AS WELL AND TESTING THEM!!

its an earthquake people - nothing to see , move along.

posted on Feb, 26 2008 @ 10:58 AM
link   
N Korea Helping Iran With Nuclear Testing

North Korea is helping Iran to prepare an underground nuclear test similar to the one Pyongyang carried out last year.

Under the terms of a new understanding between the two countries, the North Koreans have agreed to share all the data and information they received from their successful test last October with Teheran's nuclear scientists.

"We get by with a little help from our friends"

I'm not suggesting this is related but.....it's worth considering given the specific magnitude of this quake. Maybe there is...nothing to see here.

Peace

posted on Feb, 26 2008 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Doesn't a nuclear explosion have a considerably different signature on a seismograph than does a naturally occurring earthquake?

Anything Iran kinda makes you wonder....

posted on Feb, 26 2008 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Desert Dawg
Doesn't a nuclear explosion have a considerably different signature on a seismograph than does a naturally occurring earthquake?

Anything Iran kinda makes you wonder....

Yeah it does actually.

And if there was a nuclear blast, the worldwide radioisotope network would have picked it up now in one of their seismograph stations and reported it. We have an air monitor that monitors radiation spikes in air samples here at my work

posted on Feb, 26 2008 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Yes, but that would only work if it was an above ground test and then only once the airborne particles are carried to the vicinity of the monitoring device. They had to fly over North Korea to sample the air for radiation and then only found minute traces that had leaked out of the tunnel if I recall.

posted on Feb, 26 2008 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by mythatsabigprobe
Yes, but that would only work if it was an above ground test and then only once the airborne particles are carried to the vicinity of the monitoring device. They had to fly over North Korea to sample the air for radiation and then only found minute traces that had leaked out of the tunnel if I recall.

Well actually a radionuclei (which is what I should have called it before...sorry bout that) station in South Korea picked up a radiation spike at that time to. And it also set off a couple of seismograph stations in the area.

posted on Feb, 26 2008 @ 11:32 AM
link   
What do you think is taking the USGS so long to register this quake do you think? I checked the ISIS website and found they've listed quakes in the South Iran region down to 3.5 mag in the last few days but still nothing on this at 4.2..?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join