It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dragon Skin armour on ebay

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 09:16 AM
link   
www.ksee24.com...

www.sftt.org...

It seems that a couple of the 30 Level IV Dragon Skin vests Neal sent to PEO Soldier back in 2006 for that series of first article tests the Army claimed (and we agreed) failed miserably have wound up on eBay. Soldiers for the Truth reports the vests showed up in February with a list price of $3,500.

so a critical failure of a vest (apparantly) that was then rejected - was being sold on ebay ....... oh dear someone is in trouble.

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 09:26 AM
link   
sorry if its late but i cannot believe this - what a atotal BS farce the entire purchase of body armour is:

On June 6, 2006 in comments posted on an online discussion forum, Karl Masters, director of engineering for Program Manager - Soldier Equipment, said he recently supervised the retest and commented on it. "I was recently tasked by the army to conduct the test of the 30 Dragon Skin SOV-3000 level IV body armor purchased for T&E [tests and evaluation]," Masters wrote. "My day job is acting product manager for Interceptor Body Armor. I'm under a gag order until the test results make it up the chain. I will, however, offer an enlightened and informed recommendation to anyone considering purchasing an SOV-3000 Dragon Skin - don't. I do not recommend this design for use in an AOR with a 7.62x54R AP threat and an ambient temperature that could range to 120F. I do, however, highly recommend this system for use by insurgents..."[

www.defensetech.org...

holy **** - the person in charge of the retest - is in fact the CEO of the competing company! , but no bias at all will there be in that choice!

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 09:35 AM
link   
I saw the Future Weapons episode where he tested the body armor and it was all that and a bag of chips. Hell after he shot it with 7.62x39 and 9mm he put a grenade under the vest and it still held up.

Feel free to correct me if this is not the same armor from the show.

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Dragon Skin is some of the best ballistic protection available. The reason it gets it's negative tag is because the other companies all wanted the contract to outfit our soldiers. And we all know Uncle Sam will buy from the lowest bidder. Well you pay for quality...and drangon skins deal wasn't as cheap as other manufacturers. Thats it in a nut shell. The American government at it's finest!!! They will pay $1000 for toilet seats to be installed in all government facilities, but say they don't have the budget to buy the best for our boys in uniform...

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Digital_Reality

end part ?
granade under the vest

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by bodrul

Yeah, thats the episode. The grenade under the vest is around 8:20.

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Digital_Reality
I saw the Future Weapons episode where he tested the body armor and it was all that and a bag of chips. Hell after he shot it with 7.62x39 and 9mm he put a grenade under the vest and it still held up.

Feel free to correct me if this is not the same armor from the show.

Found this a a while ago and this is a good as time as any to use the link.

en.wikipedia.org...

Read it and feel sorry for the people in the type of armed force that would rather pay death benefits than use the best armor they can find in their numerous conflicts.

Stellar

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 06:12 PM
link   
These double posts...

I suppose i should add something more while so:

www.defensetech.org...

[edit on 25-2-2008 by StellarX]

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Are there field statistics on how this armor is handling?

I think we should see how this armor is handling out there instead of paying attention to these tests. It doesn't seem like these tests are getting anywhere as they simply classify the results and say it "fails".

Shattered OUT...

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by rcwj75
Dragon Skin is some of the best ballistic protection available. The reason it gets it's negative tag is because the other companies all wanted the contract to outfit our soldiers.

Disgusting and true, I'm sure. How the military gets away with these kinds of things over and over is beyond me. Obviously, the American public and the American soldier is not in control of the American Army.

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 08:07 PM
link   
The American public and Soldier have never been in control of the army...

Shattered OUT...

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 08:18 PM
link   
I thought at first this was what you were referring to. I would like to see this as the new invention of future body Armour.

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 08:59 PM
link   
You're telling me a woven spider's web is going to stop 7.62x54mm AP steel core rounds?

Shattered OUT...

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by ShatteredSkies

Got Silk?

But the real gold mine might be body armor: the Pentagon is working with Nexia to develop a prototype of a new kind of vest that might be made entirely out of goat silk. The vest would be only a little thicker than nylon, but it could stop a bullet dead.

query.nytimes.com...

Bio Steel!

www.nexiabiotech.com...

OH yes, I would say the spider has much going on these days in the body Armour department.

Hope this is on topic?

[edit on 25-2-2008 by antar]

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 09:29 PM
link   
They don't make any specific statements, only that it'll stop a bullet dead in its tracks.

There are also different levels of certification this body armor could possibly be certified up to.

I mean just because the Pentagon is looking into it, doesn't mean anything is going to come out of it, I'm sure there have been hundreds of other ideas that the Pentagon has even tested, but never used (things like the WWII bat bomb for example).

What I mean is, at the end of the day will it really be up to the job? Would it stop a 20 mm Anti-Material round? Still technically a bullet (even if launched from an autocannon).

Shattered OUT...

posted on Feb, 26 2008 @ 02:10 AM
link   
Not a big big deal but it could cause some what an issue. Wouldn't surprise me though.

posted on Feb, 26 2008 @ 03:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by rcwj75
They will pay $1000 for toilet seats to be installed in all government facilities, but say they don't have the budget to buy the best for our boys in uniform...

DO you really think they pay $1000 for a toilet seat?

People yell about the government overpaying for things and then talk about all the “black” budgets the military has.

Think about it. If you get $1000 to spend, but only show receipts for $100, what would your boss do? The bad thing about how the government works is the way it handles money. If you spend less this year you can’t save it for next year and your budget will be cut by that much next year. Because you didn’t need it last years means you don’t need it this year. It the old use it or lose it world. Couple this with trying to hide projects in the black world and you end up with $1000 toilet seats.

posted on Feb, 26 2008 @ 04:21 AM
link   
reply to post by dismanrc

exactly thats how you fund a "black project" by lying and saying a stupid hammer cost 1250$

also, there is other ways to fund "black projects" , like the black market

posted on Feb, 26 2008 @ 12:09 PM
link   
The money has to come from somewhere... That, or they could continue to raise taxes.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Feb, 26 2008 @ 12:16 PM
link   
[Mod Edit: Off topic post removed. Please see Terms and Conditions of Use section 1f. Thank you - Jak]

[edit on 26/2/08 by JAK]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join