It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

India wants Typhoon..........

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2008 @ 05:43 PM
link   
....but doesn't want to buy them off EADS!

India may well be moving towards buying the Typhoon for its MRCA deal after all, but in a surprise move reported widely today they are asking that EADS step away from the potential deal because they want to deal with BAE Systems instead.

This in itself does not mean that the Typhoon has won, of course, but it would at least appear that India is doing much more than paying lip service to the type and is taking the potential of a deal very seriously.

Historically, I was always surprised it was EADS who were promoting the Typhoon in India anyway as India has a long tradition of buying aircraft off Britain from the days of the Spitfire and Tempest, through the Hunter and Jaguar and right up to the present day. This is often forgotten when people speak of India's preference for Russian types.

Being more pragmatic, what say that India sees more possibilities in tying up a deal to buy Typhoons from BAE *included* in the much rumoured and strongly desired transfer of Hawk production to that country? An advantage that EADS cannot offer.

I would not expect the wholesale transfer of the Hawk to India as many are predicting because major new T-45 contracts will soon be offered by the USN and BAE would be idiots to give that away, but an extended role for HAL in overall Hawk production, such as major component manufacture overall plus some final assembly for aircraft sold to customers in that region, might well be incorporated, even with some Typhoon manufacture as well, to make the deal irresistable?

The Times

Google "Eurofighter BAE India" for further links

[edit on 24-2-2008 by waynos]

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 02:29 PM
link   
hmm..

So this means that they'll bite if its BAE?
I'm not so sure! Because if they do, and they do go ahead and buy 120 Tranche 3 Typhoons, then I'm going to have to start paying a lot more tax!

btw,

Its search for a new fighter jet, for example, is determined by its need to have a machine capable of beating Pakistan's F16s.

Well, they mean to say that India is looking for a baseline fighter that will fill the role of a 'fighter commoner',the majority of the ranks, but will still be comparable or better than the PAF F-16s.
Because we already have jets that are much better than the current (and future) PAF F-16 acquisitions.

Ok now I feel much better! (and shallower)

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Interesting...

At this level, the amount of money involved makes such deals highly political. I just wonder whether India really wants so much dependence on Russia for military kit and will actively spread the risk - or at least use that prospect as a lever to squeeze more out of Russia...

There are also the work-share deals and licensing / manufacturing arrangements and stability of supplier has got to an issue and companies like BAE have a good track record in that regard. Also major defence deals may be done through companies but are often a extension of country to country foreign policy.

As democratic India emerges as one of the new economic powerhouses with its undemocratic next-door neighbour China to the north and unstable Pakistan to the west, India needs to ensure all paths are left open. Defence purchases is one area where alliances can be made over the long-term.

Plus of course, Typhoon is the mutt's nuts.

Regards

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 02:59 PM
link   
I have always maintained that the realities of this purchase were going to factor in offsets and production issues first then fighters second.

No doubt the Typhoon would be an excellent fit for the IAF, but the economic factors have to included in any discussion of thier fighter purchase.

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 03:51 PM
link   
The question is ; will BAE move production of the hawk to india , to secure this deal?

`buy typhoon and you get 50%+ of ALL hawk sales , from now on.`

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Harlequin
The question is ; will BAE move production of the hawk to india , to secure this deal?

`buy typhoon and you get 50%+ of ALL hawk sales , from now on.`

They may have too to get the deal. The Typhoon is not a great candidate to be licensed produced (Same with the Rafale, Grippen, Hornet etc)

India want to build up its aerospace sector and taking over hawk production would be a huge boost.

With the production numbers of Tranche 3 in the air right now, a solid commitment may make the deal appealing to BAE and EADS by bringing stability to the line while other nations sort out thier requirements.

[edit on 2/25/08 by FredT]

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Harlequin

Given that the Hawk is 34 years old this year (40 years since its design began) perhaps BAE don't think they will be giving too much away? As long as they get the USN deal of course, that is going to be a major refit programme.

When India bought the Jaguar the first aircraft were delivered directly from the Warton line, later ones were assembled locally by HAL with full production being achieved eventually. The same again with the Typhoon would be the big attraction for India with the Hawk being a nice Brucie Bonus on top.

This would certainly help with any financial implications of the purchase (how much was an indigenous MRCA going to cost?) while greatly moving forwards India's technology base. And surely the Indians are going to sing ' anything Saudi can do, I can do better!"

Not to mention how it would helps the UK's strained defence budget if further orders allow our own Tranche 3 buy to be strung out a bit longer.

[edit on 25-2-2008 by waynos]

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 04:37 PM
link   
well so far india are buying 66 hawk`s - with another 60 close to be a done deal - now , 104 made locally is a heck of an incentive for them going with bae.

top topics

join