It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone else receive this strange e-mail?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2008 @ 07:32 PM
link   
OK, this is an e-mail from Cox. The contents are

Final Reminder!
Dear Cox High Speed Internet Customer,

Your High Speed Internet service is in jeopardy of being shut off. In order to prevent this from happening, we need to perform a modem replacement. To receive your modem replacement at no cost to you, please visit www.cox.com/ocpv/modemswap with your Cox account number (???????)and follow the on-screen instructions. Free modems are in short supply so please file for replacement as soon as possible.

There is no need to call Cox Communications at this time, however, if you have any questions, we can be reached at (a phone number). Our office hours are Monday through Saturday from 7:30am - 6:30pm.
Click Here For Your FREE Modem Replacement
Sincerely,

Cox Communications

Now, what does this mean? Anyone else receive this e-mail? Is it being sent to ALL (or most) Cox customers, or just me? If it is being sent to just me, then are they on to me? Is this a threat? “Take the modem, or lose internet.” Is this because I was going on ATS, infowars, and downloading Alex Jones (and other) films? And, finally, what will this modem do? Bugging device? Monitor ALL my traffic? And, finally, can secure, proxifyed traffic be monitored? So, bottom line, am I in trouble?

OR am I just being paranoid? Maybe this is nothing more than a service upgrade. And, last time I checked, posting on forums and USING the net isn’t a crime. So, is everyone getting this? Any ideas what this means?

posted on Feb, 23 2008 @ 07:52 PM
link   
i would give em a call and ask them,just do it.

secondly look in the terms and agreements to see if they are allowed to do this.

if this is what they are doing...do you really want a service provider who acts in such a way?.

lastly tell them where to go if all else fails

posted on Feb, 23 2008 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by thetruth777

There is no need to call Cox Communications at this time, however, if you have any questions, we can be reached at (a phone number). Our office hours are Monday through Saturday from 7:30am - 6:30pm.

Does the phone number they gave register to cox cable?? Cause if it doesn't that statement sounds fishy.

posted on Feb, 23 2008 @ 08:50 PM
link   
And will this new gadget enable Cox (and Big Brother) to view my files remotely? Or will it just give me faster internet and better service?

Two more things to note:

One is that I put a few documentaries on download overnight on the two nights before I got the e-mail (got it in the morning)

And another is that when I brought it up with my family, they all stated that they were surprised they didn't receive the e-mail earlier (we had our modem 8 years) and that it was "about time" for a free upgrade. However, they do not know that I am into *what I'm into*.

posted on Feb, 23 2008 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Why dont you just call Cox and ask them?

Im not sure why you didnt do that in the first place?

[edit on 23-2-2008 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Feb, 23 2008 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by thetruth777

If you think they want to track what you're doing with a new, altered modem that they want to give you for free, then don't do it.

Buy a new modem from somewhere else. Oh, and call them just for fun, be sure to record it, too. So we can all hear it.

posted on Feb, 23 2008 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Seems legit to me but still call them to confirm. Be sure to supply us with the model number of your new modem in case you are still paranoid.

posted on Feb, 24 2008 @ 03:21 AM
link   
Sounds like a server update is going to make your particular modem outdated. Went through it 3-4 with Time-Warner as they were upgrading servers as more and mor customers were being added.

Often times there is a compatibility issue on some makes and models of cable modems. This is because unlike the old rusty trusty dial-up modem there are no standard of AT commands of the Hayes Compatible.

One would think that the TCP/IP protocols would be enough, but unlike a closed network or even the old token ring, data is shared along with video on the same lines and some companies use compression to speed up the process which has to be decoded on the other end before hitting the service lines. Not all modems can handle the server software.

At least you were given notice. Time-Warner often made changes without notice. Last time I had that problem I found out that I was three modems behind the recommended model. I ended that problem a few years ago and am happier now.

All that said, it still could be phishing so double check the phone number and copy down the make, model and serial number of your modem if case they need it, but they should be able to recite the serial number to you from their records.

posted on Feb, 24 2008 @ 04:53 AM
link   
I'm a cox customer myself, but didn't get such email.
In any case, they would have sent a letter, and not an email, plus they would have included the name on the account. If you contact cox make sure you use the number that appears on your bills.

Also, this appears to be for Orange County, or Palos Verdes customers, so if you don't live there, that would be another good reason why to be suspicious.

[edit on 24-2-2008 by daniel_g]

posted on Feb, 24 2008 @ 02:13 PM
link   
OK, I ONLY got an e-mail. However, the e-mail was not completely illegitimate; it had my name and account number. And as for the phone number, I did a reverse phone search and it appears that the phone number DOES belong to Cox.

posted on Feb, 24 2008 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Sound like a scam to me

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Feb, 24 2008 @ 03:29 PM
link   
I am also a Cox customer, but I didn't get any email like the one you're describing.

I would definitely call.

Let us know if they tell you anything interesting!

posted on Feb, 24 2008 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Do a search for your current modem's make and model number. You may find something that might explain why it needs to be replaced.

Maybe it's in their budget to have x number of modems refreshed or replaced this quarter.

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 12:54 PM
link   

I think this is just a new phising scam. After looking at the Cox website it is not the first.

support.cox.com...

I'm sure that once you click on the link for your new modem in the email, you will then be asked for more information like username & password.

I get these phising emails all the time as i'm sure most of us do. It just seems more believable when it is from a company that we actually deal with.

I would delete it and forget about it. I would also call Cox customer support so that they are aware of this email. It may prevent someone else from falling for this scam.

Guz

Apparently the link don't work. Just go to Cox website click on high speed internet then technical support. On the right hand side of page it says announcements. Title is "Watch Out For Fack Cox Emails"

[edit on 25-2-2008 by Guzzeppi]

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by thetruth777
OK, I ONLY got an e-mail. However, the e-mail was not completely illegitimate; it had my name and account number. And as for the phone number, I did a reverse phone search and it appears that the phone number DOES belong to Cox.

So, did you call Cox and just ask them what the deal was? And what did they say?

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Yeah, it sounds "phishy" to me. First of all they say it's their final reminder...I assume they haven't sent anything out before this notice.

Also, we've had some things come up with our ISP, and they've ALWAYS followed up any email with a physical letter through regular mail.

As others have said, call cox and find out what's going on, and if applicable, to report the email.

Let us know what happens

Michelle

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Yes it does sound a little odd.Do you have an e-mail address registered with them? I have Comcast and they tried to get me to use one of their modems but I just went down to Best buy and bought my own.They run around 50-100 dollars.The modem you will buy will be a more updated model than what they will offer you anyway.Just buy a Motorola cable modem and not some knock off brand.That way your sure your Modem will be compatable with their service.

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Its possible that the www.cox.com... pages are user pages, in which case the url your directed to is most definatly a phishing location.

Never ever go in on this type of emails without contacting your provider about details.

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by daniel_g

Yes! I was going to say the fact that it has a link in it is suspicious. All the companies I deal with online are constantly reminding not to click on those links and never to provide any personal or account information. I live in Orange County and did not get this email.

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 06:01 PM
link   

"FINAL reminder"?
Did you get any previous reminders?

It sounds very much like a practical joke I've heard about, some time ago...
I'll post it here if I find it relevant.

new topics

top topics

join