It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

IF a war broke out between the U.S. and Russia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2008 @ 06:05 AM
link   
Ok. So I've been thinking about some of the most dangerous places to live right now in North America.

Needless to say, no where would really be safe in Russia or North America if a military conflict does begin. However, I believe one of the first places to be hit will be military, and possibly even civilian targets in Alaska. Most probably enforced through a massive and sustained air campaign; backed up by a smaller naval force.

Also, this conflict would probably only involve conventional weapons. Now, that's not to say there wouldn't be a bunch of new big bombs going off, of many types.

But I do not believe it would involve any nukes like a lot of people are saying. At least not initially. (Considering Mutual Assured Destruction; or MAD)

Of course, if the war lasts over a long period of time, with many casualties on both sides (and allies by this point) - there will probably be tactical nukes going off everywhere. In which case - it would be a sad time for humanity as a whole.

In closing, if there are any Alaskans here. How do you feel about living so close to Russia right now? Is there a heightened sense of concern up there regarding this subject? Also, are there many bomb shelters, bunker, or vault type facilities in more populated areas like Anchorage? Thanks in advance

posted on Feb, 23 2008 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Peace, if such a conflict did break out it would not be conventional, it would be nuclear from the start, either side would want to take out the country within 24 hours. Thats the only option available as the logistics of trying to fight a coventional war would make such a conflict not sustainable.

Target wise, every city, power station, military base, every port and airport would be nuked and if you do the math its not really a high number of targets. Russia has the advantage over America though, its a much bigger country and the Ruskies have and do spend alot on civil defence where America has no real pratical civilian defence expenditure. the loses would be hideous and in the bigger picture many would die indirectly from nuke fall out around the globe.

People say its a no win situation but thats not true, Russia has the capacity for a second strike but I dont think the US have. If the Russians hit first they have plenty in reserve to counter anything the US had left but if America went first they have no follow up and would not be able to prevent a russian second strike so again the advantage lies with Russia.

I know many will say that Russia's systems arent up to scratch but thats bull crapp. The Russians are very good at keeping their cards close to their chests. And bearing in mind that the US is still relying on Russian rocket technology so again they have the advantage.

I cannot see a scenario of occupation I think it will be a bombing back to the stone age scenario to effectively take out a threat for decades to come. Either way its not a very good propect for the people of Planet Earth.

posted on Feb, 23 2008 @ 09:43 AM
link   
It would be nuclear for reason already stated.

Russia, as well as the USA, are target rich countries. Virtually every large city would be destroyed. Every military complex, airport, major industrial areas, port, and power producing facilities would be reduced to a non-working state.

This would be just from land based and limited air based missiles from both sides. The air forces would be used only once and in a first strike or retaliation to a first strike before their bases are destroyed. Land based missiles have a higher survival rate, but not much, these are use or lose also with the first strike.

Then the subs would play for the next few months. Anyone set up any form of communications to talk to the masses would be a nice target. Anything missed from the first couple of rounds would be noticed by satellites, they would still be working.

This is just from the two big boys playing. If China or Europe is involved, all bets are off about human survival. Just Russia and the USA exchange would kill a large percentage of the planets population from fallout and climate change from dust in the stratosphere.

That's why its MAD. But one never knows what the other country is thinking.

posted on Feb, 23 2008 @ 11:24 AM
link   
It is true. Almost every nation with nuclear weapons seems all too eager to pull the trigger lately. So I can definitely see the potential for an all out nuclear event; especially with all of this 'preemptive' doctrine being signed. One can only hold a little hope our militaries won't start this kind of war. Or if not that, hope that the stories about our friends in the UFOs deactivating nuclear weaponry around the globe are at least true

new topics

top topics

join