It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US base in Britain

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2004 @ 08:47 PM
link   
I was reading Time magazine a while back and they had a Picture of a US base that they said was in Britain, and according to them, they said it had enough computers to process phone calls and emails all around the world. Has any one heard of a base like this, and what the name is?

posted on Feb, 18 2004 @ 05:28 AM
link   
Check out Menwith Hill in Yorkshire. It's a US 'listening' post. Google it.

[Edited on 18-2-2004 by benjj]

posted on Feb, 18 2004 @ 06:00 AM
link   
Yep Menwith Hill run by your friendly NSA.
Remember a few year back a guy called Mark Thomas took a ballon ride over the base. Was funny, the base didn't at the time have restricted airspace. might do now though.

posted on Feb, 18 2004 @ 02:53 PM
link   
I saw the movie "Enemy of the State" over the weekend, and there was one part where an ex-NSA agent was telling the main character about an underground base he worked at that had the capacity to tap everyone's phone line and single out key words that related to terrorism, in the seventies. That got me thinking about a base I had heard about that was simular to the description in the movie. That's probably what I was reading in the Magazine. Thanks a lot people.

posted on Feb, 18 2004 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Part of NSA Echelon System.

posted on Feb, 18 2004 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Slayer
I saw the movie "Enemy of the State" over the weekend, and there was one part where an ex-NSA agent was telling the main character about an underground base he worked at that had the capacity to tap everyone's phone line and single out key words that related to terrorism, in the seventies. That got me thinking about a base I had heard about that was simular to the description in the movie. That's probably what I was reading in the Magazine. Thanks a lot people.

The one you're thinking of is probably in Fort Meade, Maryland.

18 acres of mainframes.

posted on Feb, 18 2004 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nerdling

The one you're thinking of is probably in Fort Meade, Maryland.

18 acres of mainframes.

In the movie, the guy even said it was 18 acres. Sorry to be anal, but I was acually thinking about the british base i had read about - the mention of the base in the movie just sparked my memory. Thanks for the mention of the base in Maryland.

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Talking of US bases in Britain, I work in West Norfolk and every day pass an old USAF airbase which is mainly industrial units e.g. car repair, warehouses shops now.

Sculthorpe Info

But it is open and you wonder around a lot of the buildings are still intact, there was some major top secret stuff going on there.

I don't about the place you were referring to though.

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 04:15 PM
link   
i live near a few bases, (oxfordshire), the one that fits your discription here is "Crouton". I knew it as r.a.f. crouton, but doing some work 14 yrs ago (carpenter) contracted to do some remedials it was full of americans,in fact a mini usa.. including the cars, fuel station usa style,fire hydrants, etc. the base is huuuuge, and deals with comunications. driving past near a local base "brize norton" you see fields of antenna and dishes,they have some big arse bunkers there too, there was no chance of me having a radio to listern to while working.

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 04:24 PM
link   
I lived on RAF greenham common for 5 years....[ive been to most bases and places in england]It was a great experience for me as a child to live in england..They were many "off limits" places on the base so I couldnt realy tell you anything about what was going on at the base except I know they had nuclear missles with the trucks and airplanes to use them.My step father was in charge of a bunch of those trucks that delievered a nuclear pay load,those trucks were bad ass.

[Edited on 1-3-2004 by McGotti]

posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 01:05 AM
link   
My step father was in the teritorials, till reasently, hes been posted all over europe but he said he was posted to greenham common about 8 yrs ago, long after the nukes where (said) taken out, apparently, they got some stuff there that need guarding still. he believes they still got nukes there underground, even after telling the activists and demonstrators this site was disarmed...

posted on Mar, 5 2004 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Let me just say that Fort Meade is one heavily guarded and patrolled area. I remember I took a wrong turn (god damn circle merges) and it took me to the Fort Meade gates. They took my license and everything because I just wanted to turn around.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Slayer

RAF Boscombe down has actual links with the facility at groom lake. Janet flights have been spotted there and there are two us air squadrons stationed there year round. Also there has been F117's there quite recently. The place is all MoD land and people say the guards at Groom lake are a lot less leanient to trespassing than at Boscombe down.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Britman

Is this the doc you refer too?

Well worth a watch
edit on 18-2-2013 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Britman
Yep Menwith Hill run by your friendly NSA.
Remember a few year back a guy called Mark Thomas took a ballon ride over the base. Was funny, the base didn't at the time have restricted airspace. might do now though.

Menwith Hill still does not have restricted airspace. However you would be flying close to the Leeds Bradford airport controlled airspace.

Normal CAA rules against low flying apply, as they do over my house.

Regards

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Thomasz

Boscombe Down has, I believe, one very long runway and was there not some incident some time ago, involving the US and a crashed plane?

I thought the place was the UK's germ warfare research establishment? Did they not conduct experiments into the common cold at one time?

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Um...yes Will Smith and Gene Hack man as the old rogue.Actually I would expect that type of domestic spying has been going on for quite some time.Who needs privacy after all(sarcasm)?

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 04:49 AM
link   
reply to post by dowot

www.dreamlandresort.com...
Go to "More info and photos" then to RAF boscombe down.
It tells you all about the incident.
The place is for the development of biological and chemical warfare systems you are completely correct but I think that there is a lot more going on there that people don't know about.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 10:22 AM
link   
There are a couple of places in Scotland too that are used by mil planes and US. Out of the way and quiet Cambeltown is one shown as closd but still in use.
Lots of military flights move around across there and through the islands where there arent many people to check what they are upto.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Thomasz

Porton Down not RAF Boscombe Down is the germ warfare establishment centre

en.wikipedia.org...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join