It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Conservatives / Skeptics Neglection

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2008 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Hey everyone, I'm the kind of guy that loves talking about politics, conspiracies, philosophy and theories of anything. You'll often find me talking to different people about anything you'd see on ATS.

But there's a problem. I usually run into those conservative, skeptic individuals who will interrupt me or cut in on the conversation saying, "That's crazy. Now there's some anti-christ liberal BS ... [changes subject]"

Now I'm one of those peace-keeping kind of guys. I don't like bad things, and I try to stay away from it. What's the best way to deal with these individuals? I'm trying to also open their eyes as well. Usually, I just ignore them. Maybe they deserve not to know anyway?

I just wish people weren't so close-minded. I guess that's just "the American way".

posted on Feb, 22 2008 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Ok, I have some questions regarding your post.

1) These are conversations you're having with people in real life?
2) Can you give an example of such topics and what liberal topics are switched to?
3) When you say conservative, do you mean politically?

I'm asking such questions so I can answer you better. I'm assuming these are people you are talking to in real life about some topics that are commonly brought up here. I've met skeptics in all ideologies, hence the third question.

One thing I have realized is that we have learned about various topics through the news, education, and other influences. I think people have a difficult time understanding that what they are being told can be false. Another thing to keep in mind is that a major reason why people cannot understand being lied is they do not know the reasons for such lies.

I know when I first delved into various conspiracies and historical events, that was what confused me. I thought, 'Why would this whole scheme be created? What's the point?'.

I also think a fear in the unknown and unconventional may also come to play. Some topics involving conspiracies and politics could frighten some and it may be easier not to think about it. I'm not condoning that, though some of what I've learned over the years has frightened me, I'm glad to learn what I have.

For me, I will calmly bring up a topic. During discussion I explain what evidence I have researched. I honestly do not know how to keep someone on topic about something like that. I wish I owned copies of the some of the books a friend borrowed me. They did shed light on the reasons and motives for some conspiracies and other political events to be true.

Oh, and I do not think all Americans are so close-minded. I think for some, the previously mentioned fear is a reason for them to ignore some topics. Though there are plenty that are close-minded when it comes to such topics.

I am not sure if my response was helpful or what you were looking for, I just thought I'd offer my feelings about it.

(edited to get rid of color tags)

[edit on 22-2-2008 by slingshotsally]

join