It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Immigrants to take citizenship test's in UK.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 04:58 AM
link   
Immigrants who want to settle in the UK should have to undergo six to eight years of probationary treatment in order to “earn” British citizenship, according to Home Secretary Jacqui Smith.

Are the voices of the british people finally being heard? Or has the home secretary just took a look at the "books" and relised there is more being paid out than coming in? My opinion is if you want to reside in this country (or any other for that matter) you should have to work for your money or have none. We have homeless people here in the UK desperate for housing (agreed some do rather live on the street) and we have immigrants coming in getting their fully paid council house within such short spaces of time, Then living off benifits. This is then a crime sarter due to the fact they don't need to work they want more money and then crime starts (I know this does not cover all immigrants, But let me make you remember the Eastern Europe gang bringing over kids to steal peoples money whilst at cash points and I am sure there are much more crimes going on that the police have not caught people for yet).

The next problem is they will not go to jail, Reason being that our jails are already full to the brim so they get deported or a slap on the wrist. What stops them leaving the country then returning a few months later under a new identity? Being tougher on immigrants is the way forward, Stop paying them benifits, Make them work and pay for their housing and make them have private health care insurance untill they have paid into the national insurance for a few years.
I am sure this would put alot of immigrants off coming to the UK for a fre ride whilst welcoming the hard working immigrants who do deserve that better life (not saying nobody deserves a better life but you must be prepared to work for it).

After a few years of working they should take a citizenship test also a basic english test and have a high pass line to be able to stay in the country.

For those here already, Next time they sign on the dole they should be given 3 months to get working or get out.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Does your country handle immigration any different and does it work?

[edit on 21-2-2008 by theukman]

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 06:20 AM
link   
This is just the government trying to appease the complainers.

I've lived in the UK for a about 18 months now. I have all the same rights as any British citizen. I could go on benefits if I was lazy and wanted to live off the pathetic 40 pounds a fortnight they give you. I am covered under the NHS. I can vote, drive, send any potential kids to school, come and go as I please.

The truth is that most immigrants are hard working, and want to intergrate into British society.

A further truth is that I see more "British" benefit users then immigrant ones. I see "British" people hanging out and binge drinking on the high street. When I walk home from work, it isn't the immigrants who make me weary, it's the "British" . At work, it isn't the immigrants who call off sick regularly, it's the "British".

I have lived my adult life in three countries, now. The US, England and Switzerland - in each one the "natives" complain about the "immigrants" In each one the governemnt gives lip service about immigration control and such.

I see my Indian neighbors going to work at 6am and coming home at 8pm whilst their kids go to school everyday, are unfailingly polite, and offer to carry in my groceries.

Give me an immigrant over a "British" any time of the day

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 07:08 AM
link   
my gf is Nepalese/Gurkha(Gurung), lives in London and works a good 60 hours a week and has absolutely no prob with these new rules.
Her father (as most males in the family) served in the Gurkha rifles for 21 years and is not even elligible for a UK passport, do you think it's normal ? I don't, but i think it makes a point .
I can understand your frustration, as we have similar "problems" in our (tiny) country, but at a way smaller scale.
But do not forget that you,me,everybody, tend to see selectively.
Yes there are problems and yes there are black sheep, but it's far from being the whole immigrant population.
I see many Taiwanese and mainland Chinese around here and they are the most polite,respectful and hardworking people i have met.
As far as my experience goes, the "troublemakers" are from continental Europe and/or North Africa, and then again i can't generalise and blame a whole group.
Now to go in your direction, i strongly believe any government should try to fix domestic problems before starting looking outwards.
And yes i believe we should work with the new members of the EU, after all they have what companies want, a cheap workforce who can be used and abused , because at the end of the day it's all it is about.(not that i agree with such policies)

join