It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mysterious "Fireball" seen over 4 US states Today

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 09:21 PM
link   
I saw this story initially on Fox News's America's Pulse this afternoon. They showed a brief video clip repeatedly.

Meteor? Ufo/probe?

What struck me and everyone else, is that the object appeared to have crashed, as witnesses saw a flash when it neared terra firma. However, no impact site or crater has been found yet...

Heaven’s fireball: Meteor, “only as big as a large suitcase,” crashes to Earth
February 20, 2008 by Independent Reporter Editor

NORTHWEST U.S. - Witnesses in at least four northwest U.S. states — Orgeon, Washington, Idaho, Montana — and Canada on Tuesday reported an explosive fireball descending from heaven and apparently crashing into the Earth.

The Orgegonian Newspaper and Boise, Idaho’s Fox 12 television station both provided local coverage on the sightings.

The celestial event was also captured on a hospital surveillance video and seen by pilots in the sky. No evidence had been found on the ground, but if and when remnants are found experts expect to find nothing more than the size of a large suitcase or basketball.

Additional report: Fox12 KTRV

www.fox12news.com...

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by EclipseReloaded

Good post, nice catch.
I`m interested to see the video.
I`m also interested to see the outcome of any "investigation".

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Perhaps the US downing the spy satellite, the size of a bus that no longer has thrusters and would eventually slam earth's atmosphere, so the US decided to 'test' its space weapons?

The above is a poorly worded run on sentence so I doubt I will be fined.

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 11:12 PM
link   

I thought that if it was a UFO it was putting on the breaks.

Hear again if it was a ufo, no sonic boom but a very hot
meteorite might cause ions to avoid the sonic boom.

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Sounds a lot like the US Spy satellite that was hit earlier tonight see the info here
news.yahoo.com...

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 12:07 AM
link   
This isnt the same as the previous meteor over oregon/washington area one or two days ago that was caught on that hospital video camera? I dont think one can see the missile from that far inland as Idaho.... I'm in California and was looking and didnt see anything, but I could of missed it I guess.

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by BionicEBE
Sounds a lot like the US Spy satellite that was hit earlier tonight see the info here
news.yahoo.com...

I wonder if they can see if the tank is intact or not.

Seems our space agility or cognizance is ill advised.

We can't see what we are shooting at.

Call to the GRIDKEEPER to save the day.

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 05:17 AM
link   
reply to post by TeslaandLyne

According to this article, they will not know for about 24 hrs. if the fuel tank was destroyed.

see full article

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 09:40 AM
link   
They seem pretty sure it all worked out.

Video of the missile strike

WG3

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 09:50 AM
link   
What is up with all these meteor sightings, are we going through a section in space that is filled with rocks. Are all these little rocks a harbringer of what may be heading are way? Something much bigger. I don't want to scare anyone but I find it odd that since new years it seems every week we are getting a meteor sighting of some sort. Is this an escalation from previous years? is the solar system in a section of the milky way that is extremely hazardous (space debris)? So many questions lol so few answeres.

Edit: I know thousands of meteors hit earth every day, nothing new there. However all these videos and reportings recently seem odd to me, of course I have only been on this site @ 1 year so I am not familiar with the history of meteors/shotting stars here.

[edit on 21-2-2008 by Starwatcher]

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 10:06 AM
link   
LIVELEAK has this video, i think its what people saw.washington video on LIVELEAK.

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Have they found the impact site yet? All meteors are suppose to leave a crater.

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Yeah, I saw the video on TV.

Too bad we can't see the pieces.

If we had Tesla around the telescopes would be better.

His Aluminum Tesla bulb may have emitted neutrinos or some
small energy packet. He said he had a new energy force so
after working with X-rays from high voltage he might have
went to AC HV and found something new.

ED: Oh yeah, I heard China did it first. Who is transfereing all this
technology to China. CFR/TC or the Secret Government?
Oxygen plants are needed for China's copper refining, bet thats
another Tesla process. China now has cars and taking our Oxygen
and the Secret Government, CFR/TC wants us to pay for it with
a Carbon Tax. Tesla free energy is none or our concern because
mass media is all we should know.

[edit on 2/21/2008 by TeslaandLyne]

posted on Feb, 22 2008 @ 04:07 AM
link   
Scientists search for meteor's possible impact site in Ore., Wash.

10:25 AM PST on Thursday, February 21, 2008

By TERESA BLACKMAN and SCOTT BURTON, KGW Staff

KGW report

Scientists Wednesday were trying to determine whether a fireball that streaked through the sky Tuesday morning landed in Oregon or Washington.

Portland State Professor Dick Pugh began interviewing witnesses who saw the meteor fall and is trying to establish a radius around a possible impact site. He said the chances of finding any remnants of the space rock are slim, but there's already evidence that something may have hit the ground.

One of the leading experts on Northwest meteorites, Pugh is now working around the clock to find proof of impact.

Pugh said the meteor tracked west to east with reports of sonic booms in Cascade Locks, Hermiston, Pendelton and even a thud-like sound in Kennewick.

"When you start getting them coming in where they hear sonic booms, then you're in the neighborhood,” Pugh said.

posted on Feb, 22 2008 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by EclipseReloaded
All meteors are suppose to leave a crater.

This statement could not be more wrong!

Firstly, a meteor is the luminous phenomenon we see high up in the atmosphere when a meteoroid enters the atmosphere. If the object survives the luminous phase (the vast majority do not) and part of it reaches the ground, it is then known as a meteorite.

Secondly, unless the meteoroid was very large to start off with, it will loose much of its mass and not have enough momentum to retain a significant portion of its cosmic-velocity. The relative density of the lower atmosphere will slow it down rapidly until it is no longer luminous, and eventually to free-fall velocity. This stage is known as the dark-flight phase.

Unless whatever is left is quite large, it will not leave any crater, at least no more so than a dropped boulder from a tall cliff!

In the case in question, there was a very prominent terminal-burst (flash), which indicates that the object broke up catastrophically. If any pieces are found, they will probably be quite small, and scattered over a wide area. It's not looking like there will be a crater in this case.

As far as I'm aware, there has only been one event of this magnitude in the past few days, and it's already being discussed here: www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 22 2008 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by EclipseReloaded

What struck me and everyone else, is that the object appeared to have crashed, as witnesses saw a flash when it neared terra firma. However, no impact site or crater has been found yet...

I just want to add, in response to the above comment, that due to the large distances at which a bright fireball like this can be seen, and the curvature of the Earth, combined with the difficulty in estimating the distances involved, it's not uncommon to think that an impact might have occurred. In this case, it's perhaps even more easy to fall into this trap, due the terminal-burst, which could quite easily be mistaken for an impact.

Here is a link that explains: www.meteorobs.org...

top topics

join