It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is there anything that could slow down time here on earth?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Say that there is an area like the Bermuda triangle that whenever you get near it, time slows down (perhaps without you ever noticing). If you are on a plane and traveling through the air above this unusual location, it takes you an hour to pass through, whereas only 5 minutes has passed for the rest of the world.

What would cause such an anomaly? An electromagnetic field, perhaps? Are there any known theories that allow for such an anomaly to occur here on earth?

[edit on 19-2-2008 by Impreza]

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 01:23 AM
link   
Some kind of relativistic thing might theoretically produce that kind of an effect, but it's a rather large stretch of the imagination. However, relativity is the only thing I can think of that will cause anything even remotely like what you describe, and it doesn't explain the Bermuda triangle or similar areas. To get any noticeable time difference, you'd have to be travelling at a large fraction of the speed of light, say at least 10% the speed of light.

I'm not quite sure what your reasoning is behind asking the question, since you seem to use the Bermuda triangle just as an example, and not as the actual object of your inquiry. Anyway, read up a bit on relativistic effects, and maybe you will find what you are looking for.

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 02:47 AM
link   
Right, this has nothing to do with the bermuda triangle, it could be anywhere on earth. How can we have something like the speed of light affecting objects here on earth? I' talking about going slower than the rest of the world, nothing moving at the speed of light on earth would slow down. It would simply happen at an instance.

I'm looking for some other reason, one than has nothing to do with traveling at the speed of light on earth.

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 08:43 AM
link   
well, what is the speed of earth again?
on the other hand, could an temporarely short circuit of the human nerve system be a possible explanation, that one is "electric" in origin, if i remember correctly.

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Marijuana and other drugs can slow the perception of time, which is the same thing for all intents and purposes.

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Impreza

I'm looking for some other reason, one than has nothing to do with traveling at the speed of light on earth.

Well as of right now the only theories out there for such a device incorporate the speed of light into their design.

I read about this a decade ago. . . Theoretically if you could build a carousel and spin it so it's outer edge was approaching the speed of light, riders looking out at the rest of the world would see time rapidly passing by, yet they would age very slowly in comparison. Unfortunately there are many obstacles that would have to be overcome to build such a device.

But as DragonsDemesne has mentioned, this is still a relativity thing. Everytime you look at a Sunset, you are looking back in time @ 8 minutes. The Sun has already set, but relative to your viewpoint, it has not.

You can read about the carousel theory here.

Hope this helps.

2PacSade-

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 02:04 PM
link   
chromatico i think the OP is talking about literally slowing down time, not perceptually.
frankly there's only a few ways to alter the flow of time, and most of them require intense gravity. right now, besides huge mass, we dont really know what gravity is made of or how to create it. if it is electrical in nature as the proponents of "the electric universe theory" propose then it might be feasible to increase gravity on a local level anywhere in space or on a planetary surface. whether or not that would be wise is another question altogether.

optimus

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Impreza
Say that there is an area like the Bermuda triangle that whenever you get near it, time slows down (perhaps without you ever noticing). If you are on a plane and traveling through the air above this unusual location, it takes you an hour to pass through, whereas only 5 minutes has passed for the rest of the world.

What would cause such an anomaly? An electromagnetic field, perhaps? Are there any known theories that allow for such an anomaly to occur here on earth?

[edit on 19-2-2008 by Impreza]

this makes no sense, you would be slowed down too and thus how would you know you were going slow?

its like it wouldnt matter anyway, cause you wouldnt know what was happening anyway, youd just be living like normal, now someone from the outside of time realm would notice, but not you

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 02:38 PM
link   
I watched a documentary on Discovery channel about time and they a few experiments.

It seems if you fall from a respectable distance time slows down.

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Its a scientific fact that the only thing known to slow time is two hour on the red carpet with Joan Rivers. Ask anyone that done it. Everyone swears it was 8 hours.

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Time and space will bend around a black hole. If you have an artificial black hole that appears in front of your craft bending space in front of you that sort of thing could occur. Maybe a UFO is warping the craft? I believe it would have the opposite effect as well, where time would go by faster for the people on earth and it would only take you 5 min's to reach your destination. I could be wrong on the time thing.

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by earth2
I watched a documentary on Discovery channel about time and they a few experiments.

It seems if you fall from a respectable distance time slows down.

You are correct to a small extent.. You have the idea. It's mathmatically proven that the closer to the speed of light you get the slower time for you becomes. So if you sit still time is moving normal, you hop in a space ship and go mach 20 then land and you would notice a small difference in your time. You would have actually aged less by a few seconds vs. everyone else. Don't believe me do a search.

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 03:06 PM
link   
I have dabbled in this issue on a personal level. There was a time (no pun intended) when I was using consciousness exercises to learn how to make time either move ahead faster or slow down. For instance if I was late for a meeting across town and had not enough time to get there, I would say "Time Warp Please". And the time would wrap around my reality and some how the effects would get me to my destination on time, if not a few minutes early. Or when a really great experience is happening I would do the reverse. Now the only problem was that if I forgot the exercise, it could be awful, days weeks could fly by before I realized why. As soon as I stopped it time would again resume as normal.

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 03:16 PM
link   
A frequency band that traps all thoughts going out to space. A frequency modulator, would be a sound of light piercing this earth, if it is stabilized that means the cat is out of the bag.

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Time can be thought of in a couple different ways.

As mentioned in previous posts there is perceptual time. One paradox there is the reporting that during emergencies, time seems to slow down for the observer. It might be that one could train themselves to perform more actions during this slowed time than they could in 'normal' time. It might be that cogitation rate could change if not performing any actions.

So, here, time for the body remains the same, but the mental perception of time seems to slow. Perhaps one could say that seeing was faster.

Perception of time and size
Further, one might as is 'time' different based on the size of the observer. Is the concept of time equivalent for very large creatures, such as the Blue Whale, and very small creatures, such as the Shrew.

Does time vary between very fast living creatures and very slow creatures, like the Tree Sloth?

Newtonian time and Relativistic time
Another type of time might be termed 'Newtonian time'. Newtonian time is seen to be absolute. Events passing through the cone of time do not depend on any motion.

In Relativistic time, the concept of absolute time is thrown out. Observability of events is absolute.

Example from Wiki of Newtonian views of spacetime along the world line of an accelerating observer:

Relativistic spacetime along the world line of an accelerating observer.

Spacetime
Combining three dimensional space with the concept of time, you develop a fourth dimension of space-time. In a relativistic Universe you can't separate the effects of an objects velocity because it depends on travel which may be effected by a gravitational field which change or slow the passage of time.

Time Dilation
Certain particles have a given half-life, so they should decay after a given time at rest. By particles moving close to the speed of light have been tracked which move much further than thay should given their decay rate. Relative to being at rest, time seems to "slow down" for the particle.

Can Time be slowed down?
It's been shown that astronauts circling the Earth at great speeds tend to age slower. One paradox seems to indicate that if an Astronaut went to a planet 4 light years away and came back, he would only have aged about two months, compared to a twin on Earth who would age 8 years. (However this is a thought experiment. It's probable that the time needed to speed up to the .999c, slow down and turn around would take an impossibly long time, making such a journey problematic).

Does Time change with Age?
It seems to, possibly more than can be explained by perception. Stephen Hawking proposed that time is experienced as Unit of Time:Time Lived. An hour to a one year old would be 1:8760, whereas one hour to an adult of 50 would be 1:440000.

Maybe that gives you some better definitions to apply to your question.

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Okay, there still seems to be some confusion as to what I'm asking, so let me rephrase the question.

Say that you are on the phone with someone and they are tracking a plane that it headed your way. The person on the phone tells you that, according to the GPS aboard the plane, the plane has landed at your current position. It has landed near you and may be a few feet away from you according to the person on the phone who is tracking it via GPS. However, you do not see the plane, at least not until it actually lands an hour later.

Now, the real kicker is that the time aboard the plane is actually one hour ahead when it should be the same as what you've got. What would have caused such an anomaly? How could the plane have landed there an hour earlier according to GPS (assuming it is functioning properly), yet it did not land until another hour? And why does the time on the plane corroborate with the anomaly that just occurred?

Something obviously caused this anomaly, but what? Are there any likely theories that can possibly explain this?

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Impreza

this really reminds me of the missing time consept. have experienced this myself, using 45 min on a 5 min trip. impossible i say, impossible.

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by menguard

A frequency band that traps all thoughts going out to space. A frequency modulator, would be a sound of light piercing this earth, if it is stabilized that means the cat is out of the bag.

i'm sorry, but what exactly does this contribute to the thread other than random streams of thought put together?

as to the OP now you're talking about missing time or a combination of missing time and time dilation...are you trying to say something like this has happened to you?

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Everyone has the ability to slow down time. It's all in the mind.

Stare at a digital clock for 1 hour straight. Time will slow...

Keep yourself busy doing something fun. Time will speed up...

Ever feel that when you are driving some where you like to go, it feels like it is taking forever to get there, but when you are driving back home you seem to get there faster?

It's all in the mind.

Master it and you can master time, and space.

With your mind, you can manipulate the physical universe, you do it every day. Just moving your mouse and typing on the keyboard is an example of you manipulating time and space and the universe with your mind.

To slow time down for a group of people, we would all have to do it at the same time... all at 0NcE

[edit on 20-2-2008 by ALLis0NE]

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 12:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Badge01

Can Time be slowed down?
It's been shown that astronauts circling the Earth at great speeds tend to age slower. One paradox seems to indicate that if an Astronaut went to a planet 4 light years away and came back, he would only have aged about two months, compared to a twin on Earth who would age 8 years. (However this is a thought experiment. It's probable that the time needed to speed up to the .999c, slow down and turn around would take an impossibly long time, making such a journey problematic).

You should listen to David Adair. Coast to Coast interview where he talks about symbiotic fusion engines. How we are either using or at the very least testing this technology ourselves. This type of technology would allow you to eliminate the problen of the slow down and turn around you mention. Add this to an anti grav machine and you have a ship that can go from 0 to the speed of light instantly and stop instantly. Don't believe me do the research, listen to his interviews and read up on the information he provides and you'll see I'm correct.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join