It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Procratination..

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Do you ever find yourself procrastinating about your Sitx preparations? I frequently do, and it really troubles me. I know there are many things I still need to buy, supplies I need to inventory and organize, weapons I need to maintain, etc., but instead I find myself sitting down, watching the boob tube or performing some meaningless task.

Is this my way of psychologically distancing myself from the chaos I'm almost certain is coming down the pike, or is it the fear that I'm being paranoid and wasting way too much time, energy, and resources on an event that may never happen?

Any others like me out there in ATS land?

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 11:38 AM
link   
I think it is probably a mixture of a fear of failure and an attempt to distance yourself. nobody want to believe we as a species are so stupid that we will destroy ourselves.

You are not the only one Probably 80% of people are the same way when it comes to this topic.

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 06:44 PM
link   
I was going to post in this thread but I'll do that tomorrow.

Just kidding.

Yes it has happened to me, When first starting out it is a large job to figure all that might be needed for survival, esspecially when trying to cover the most probable sitx's. Then there's rotating food stocks into family meals to keep the stock fresh. Making sure your weapons are cleaned and other gear is in top condition. Cataloging what you have to make sure you have everything you planned on. Depending on your stock it does take considerable time and effort.

I found its better to do a little every other day than alot one day.
Its an investment, your investing your time now (money also) in insuring a future if the big day arrives. Consider it a life insurance policy.
If it doesn't happen in your life, your kids would be grateful that you did.

IMO

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Interesting topic, but would it be ok with you if I reply tomorrow?

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 01:51 AM
link   
I am the same way. It sometimes takes a little motivation to get me in the mood to buy more. I Buy what I can when I can, and sometimes I think to myself "why am I wasting my time and money for all this stuff". All my friends go to vegas with their saved money, I buy ammo/guns/gear with mine. I miss out on some fun (not all) but most. Its a curse and a blessing to think the way I do, at least I think so. After I see a good zombie movie, it gets me in the zone of survival again. But when work gets busy I forget about it, Always in the back of my head though.

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Tac109,

That's exactly the way I feel sometimes. The guilt is oppressing when I think of how the money could have been spent on family outings, new clothes for everyone, remodeling the house, etc.

Everyone else buys cars, TVs, or goes on vacation. Me, I buy ammo, foodstuffs, shortwave radios, candles, etc.

I'm okay with the food items, because they're rotated regularly and have come in handy a time or two when things were lean, but the rest makes me feel guilty. Do I really need it or just want it? Has survival become an obsession for me?

Will I be like the guy in the 60's that spent thousands of dollars on a fallout shelter and supplies, only to never need them? It sure would be nice to be clairvoyant and able to see what the future has in store for us..

[edit on 2/20/08 by LLoyd45]

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 09:40 AM
link   
I think we all share the guilt a time or two. its all perspective tho. Look at it this way. lots of so called normal guys spend thousand of dollars on tools that just set there and do nothing. they were not bought because they were needed they were bought because they were wanted. women tend to do scrap booking and other crafty type arts. it is very expensive in most cases. it not done for a purpose its done just because they want to. they enjoy doing it.

Look at you survival preparedness in that way. its a hobby. only this hobby will keep you and your family alive. show me a scrap book that will do that.

When I was doing the local circle track racing it was very expensive. I never felt guilty about it it was a hobby and a fun one.

I saw a movie once that enplanes it nicely with a quote.

its all about perspective. touch a hot pan a second feels like an hour touch a hot women a hour feels like a second.

Little food for thought

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Agreed, it is a hobby. As hobbies go, wouldn't you want a hobby that's useful. I don't think anyone who has a hobby like this is the kind of person that would enjoy something as useless as scrap booking anyway.

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 12:53 PM
link   
I guess it has become a hobby for me. It's something I think about all the time, even moreso when I hear about hurricanes, riots, floods, or see a real good zombie flick.

I guess what I need to do is decide when enough is enough. A person can only use so many lanterns, dirst aid kits, candles, garbage bags, paracord, space blankets, ad infinitum. I just always feel like I'm missing something important, or the equipment I have is inadequate. When you have to outfit a whole family it adds up real quick!

Possibly a silly question, but do you guys practice redundacy in buying your gear? By redundancy I mean buy identical gear for each person in your group? i.e. five canteens, five mess kits, five machetes, etc.. I do because I figure if we should get separated it may be needed.

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 02:29 PM
link   
I don't because I don't have a family to look out for. I do have double of some things in case one breaks. two water purifiers, a few chemical purifiers, etc. The best thing to do is plan a set time fame, and try and supply for that. I go from 3 years, myself. Not done yet, though.

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Ok I'm back.
To answer your question I think its because most people suffer MMM (mexican manana mentality), and they may not even be Mexican.

I would love to start loading up with essentials and stuff but to be honest I don't know where I would be able to store all that stuff. I'm cramped for space as it is.
Not only that, if you attract too much attention to yourself while you're playing Noah you just might end end with people knockin' on your door when the fit hits the shan.

I thought about this scenario when I traded in my Hemi truck a few months ago, thinking to myself while signing "crap, I sure hope I don't regret this soon".
Folks you'll need a truck to drive through open fields past the interstate traffic jam, unless you care to wait for the FEMA to help you. Believe it or not, most people think the Govt should do just that.

Kudos to all y'all stockin' up

Just curious, where are you guys storing your stash?

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 05:02 PM
link   
i have spent a lot of money over the past couple years on survival gear, and when I have extra money I buy more. I always tell myself, "ok my armory and supply will be complete after this next item" well I get that item, but then I see more things I like and I start saving for them. My inventory is not huge, but it may be considered huge by normal people. 50% of my brain tells me to stop this bull, that nothing will happen and to spend my money on normal stuff like shoes or a motorcycle, then the other 50% tells me that something is gonna happen and I will need to support and protect my family, so keep buying survival gear. As I said I look at my thinking as a curse and a blessing, Its a curse right now, but if and when a sit x happens it will be a blessing that I sacraficed so much to buy the stuff I have. Other Americans can live a care free life because there are people like us who will protect them and lead them to a safe place in a sit x.

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 05:35 PM
link   
I know how you all feel at least to a degree... I just started constructing my BUG out pack/ AWOL bag a few months ago. Since I am only 19, money was a big if not HUGE issue, lol, especially since I am in college. But somehow everything seems to be falling into place if not almost magically. One day I look at my list of items I need along with the internet links to the best of that item for the money, and I say to myself "How on earth will I be able to afford that..." and what do you know three days later I get an email stating I get some scholarship for X' amount of dollars... and bamm I can buy some more items on my list. Or I get offered a short term job for $100 bucks for the day on some Sat. when I have nothing else to do.

So really the point is create a list (do some research to see what you need) then stick to that list no matter what. Also get a 6500cubic in. pack and if it can't fit then don't take it or buy it etc... I am working down my list and I am getting really close. Setting a budget and a maximum for each item really helps keep one focused on the goals at hand.

Also only buy what you really need, that next nifty gadget will help but it also weighs down your pack more and takes up unnecessary space. So make a list and stick to it... (I always try to emphasize that more than anything else) That way you wont just buy the next "cool" survival gadget you see, one because it will not fit into your pack, (which should be your limit) and two it is just more weight to carry around. Which sucks, trust me... unless your huge and can lift 200lbs of crap for 15 miles.. then your fine.

Then once you have that done... it is time to start scheduling short escapades into the woods (I use local conservation areas or wilderness areas for this) and start practicing starting fires, building shelters, foraging for edible plants (using a handy edible plant field guide) etc...

I would recommend to budget carefully in order to not spend a ridiculous amount of money on stuff you truly might never need.

After rereading my post... I don't think I am on topic at all... LOL, sorry, but those are my thoughts

top topics

join