It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FOIA: NASA Lunar Exploration Objectives

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2008 @ 12:11 PM
link   
163560main_LunarExplorationObjectives.pd f
Lunar Exploration Objectives, Version 1
A list of NASA objectives for Lunar exploration laid out in an easy to follow table.

Document date: 2006-12-01
Department: NASA
Author: Unknown
Document type: Spreadsheet
pages: 48

Archivist's Notes: This interesting document lays out NASA's objectives for lunar exploration based upon consultation with various bodies and people. It lays out the objectives in terms of: Category, objective name, summary of objective, the value that this meeting this objective will have, and which of a range of six themes it fits into. A fascinating read.

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Lunar Exploration Objectives Version 1
Released Dec. 2006
48 page Chart.

This chart is very extensive.
The categories are as follows:
Astronomy and Astrophysics, Hello physics, Earth Observation, Geology, Materials Science, Human Health, Environmental Characterization, Environmental Hazard Mitigation, Operational Environmental Monitoring, Life Support and Habitat, General Infrastructure, Operations Testing and Verification, Power, Communication, Position Navigation and Timing, Transportation, Surface mobility, Crew Activity Support, Lunar Resource Utilization, Historic Preservation, Development of Lunar Commerce, Commercial Opportunities, Global Partnership, Public Engagement and Inspiration.

I found the best read was in the Values column 5.
If you read straight down all the Values, you can get a clear indication of the motivations of the people in power regarding their intentions for human society of Earth.

There is reference to the Moon being a stepping stone situation on the way to Mars.
There is also reference to the fact that it will take at least 2 generations of taxpayers to pay for the lunar exploration program.
Pdf pg 40 is interesting: “Having an ‘exit strategy’ for transfer of assets out of government control will more easily free up public resources toward the next exploration destinations.
Transferring assets to the private sector creates an ‘entrance strategy’ for commercial involvement on the Moon.
If properly managed, transfer of assets could stimulate further commercial investment in lunar activities.”

Pdf pg 42 speaks of the involvement of the media: “A company selling video games can make money through game sales and sponsorships.
A popular video game could generate public support for exploration…” as well as “Utilizing innovative media sources in particular may engage the younger segment of the population, who will be responsible for paying the taxes to support exploration for many years in the future.”
This page also mentions having a commercial astronaut corp… “Commercial firms could take more risks, potentially performing the same tasks at a lower cost.”

Archivist’s Note:
I wish I could believe this project is driven by benevolent beings who are wanting to the best thing for the Earth’s population…all I see really is, the same distrustful groups hoarding public money for their own self preservation, and using media brain washing to do it.

[edit on 19-2-2008 by frozen_snowman]

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 07:22 PM
link   
A version of this document can be found at NASA.gov.

Here is an excerpt:

Lunar Exploration Objectives

Almost 200 lunar exploration objectives resulted from the Global Exploration Strategy process. NASA engaged the global space community to develop the objectives by asking the question, "What do we hope to accomplish through lunar exploration?"

NASA took the many answers to this question and compiled them into a comprehensive database of almost 200 different things we could do on the moon! The lunar exploration objectives are meant to capture the entire set of activities that anyone involved in lunar exploration may want to pursue. These activities could be carried out by NASA, another space agency, a private company, a university, or anyone else who invests in space exploration.

Most importantly, each lunar exploration objective can help achieve the broad goals defined by at least one of the lunar exploration themes. For example, the objective "studying craters on the moon" is linked to the "Scientific Knowledge" theme, since studying craters will help us learn more about the moon and the solar system. By linking the objectives to the themes, organizations such as NASA can better understand the specific activities necessary to accomplish the goals.

NASA will take ideas from the lunar exploration themes and objectives and begin to lay out a timeline for what NASA plans to do on the moon.

And it provides also a link to download a document that to me looked the same. Check it out: Lunar Exploration Objectives

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Lunar Exploration Objectives 2006 part 2 archivist notes:

The Document at first sight looks 'user friendly' and is indeed very exciting with many objectives within reason and have an opportunistic outlook.

But with looking deeper at the agenda here, I find the title of this document could have been well and truly:

Moon for Sale – the dark side of global business opportunities

This is not only because of a country claiming possession of a planet. The view outlined in this document is the connection with a global partnership.
Now here is where a problem arises:
The laws are established by the explorers (America)….. or should we say… the One World Government.
On PDF page 45:
“Standards and common interfaces……One of the potential impacts to establishing standards is that it increases the barriers to entry for some participants.”
This begs the question, who are the individuals who won’t meet the entry criteria….the common people who are having their taxes used to fund this project?

Sorry to be a bit Looney about this project – after all it is in theory, a potentially brilliant plan.
Its just that it smells of elitist values…the same ones that seems to have deteriorated Earth society (big brother vs. freedom) and I wouldn’t like those same attitudes let loose on other planetary bodies that we don’t own !!!

Maybe one of my Archivist Colleges would like to do a more balanced review of this document...
(after all, you guys in the northern Hemisphere are able to view the lunar eclipse tonight - I miss out with living "down under")

[edit on 20-2-2008 by frozen_snowman]

new topics

top topics

join