It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Independent Kosovo? Why not Vermont?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Independent Kosovo? Why not Vermont?

news.yahoo.com

Not all independence movements are created equal.

Some are quirky, such as Second Vermont Republic — Thomas Naylor's small but spirited campaign to break off his corner of northern New England and make it a nation.

With his spectacles, bald spot and long white hair, the retired Duke University economics professor looks like Benjamin Franklin and quotes Thomas Jefferson. He believes that if Kosovo can become a country, so can Vermont, which was independent until it joined the Union in 1791 as the 14th state.

Yet Naylor concedes: "It's a tough sell. This is not kid stuff. Secession is a radical act of rebellion driven by anger and fear."

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Haha...Vermont is at it again. First the Bush impeachment movement, now an independence movement riding on the coat tail of the Kosovo situation. This should be sure to fire up some debates!

news.yahoo.com

[edit on 15-2-2008 by DimensionalDetective]

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Geez, I'm really starting to like Vermont!!! Hopefully Quebec doesn't catch wind of this. Yikes! Oops, it's out now... Good for Vermont, good for her people.

Cheers,

Vic

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Well if Kosovo becomes independent, then maybe Russia will recognize Vermont and Quebec as sovereign nations. Maybe the Basque, Kurds, Pashtuns, and Lakota can all have their own countries too!

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 06:23 PM
link   
You know, my initial reaction to this was to sort of chuckle at it.

But the more I sat back and thought about it, the more serious it became to me.

Mistrust and anger at our government are at an all-time high right now. Most americans are completely fed up and exausted with our gov's never ending corruption, lies, and looting of their tax-dollars to forward their wealth and power agendas.

Now WHAT IF, something like this was to begin a catalystic revolt against this corrupt institution? What if more americans stood up as individual states and followed suit to be independent of these crooks and thugs?

This could literally become a HIGHLY explosive and monumental situation.

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 06:37 PM
link   
If the State of Vermont secedes from the United States and becomes it's own sovereign country would the governor of Vermont then become the President of Vermont??

posted on Feb, 16 2008 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by 1Angrylightbulb
If the State of Vermont secedes from the United States and becomes it's own sovereign country would the governor of Vermont then become the President of Vermont??

Haha...I don't know how that would work? Perhaps there may end up multiple presidents in regions of the continent, or perhaps there will no longer be so much power put in the hands of single individuals, but a 'council' type of setting?

posted on Feb, 16 2008 @ 01:18 PM
link   
I live in Vermont.

If this were to happen I would have no reason to leave

I would be inside a country within a country?

Wonder who would step up as Vermont's president?

This place is sooooo small I am surprised that we are getting any attention whatsoever!

Thanks for the heads up.

posted on Feb, 16 2008 @ 01:36 PM
link   
The federal gov't would never let it happen. It has been tried before....

posted on Feb, 16 2008 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Shucks, folks from Vermont would be welcome to hook-up Canuck by many... always use a little more real estate. Got that awesome National Guard too. Independent thing... gotta love it. Nice skiing, good sugar-bush too. Most important to one person here; The Vermont Teddy Bear Company. Me? Barre's Thunder Road, Kenny Squire's playground... half the field's Quebecers and Nova Scotians anyway.

Speaking of which... look around at the out-of-state car tags in Florida or Vegas. Just say, "Oui and Eh" eh? And "Lift your tiny wings and fly away". You couldn't have kept Celine? This means war. LOL.

Vic

[edit on 16-2-2008 by V Kaminski]

posted on Feb, 16 2008 @ 01:46 PM
link   
If Vermont really starts to get serious
the wife and I are moving back there.

Reasons to seceded

All of the heating oil that we use has to be imported it runs about
even or a dollar more than premium gas.

You watch the national weather channel and the weather guesser is always
standing in front of New England so you can not see whats going on.

You travel to other parts of the country and you tell the locals where
your from and they go HUH.......

Every single National Guard unit has served at least one
tour in Iraq.

You go south of the mason dixon line with your car your going
to get stopped at least once buy some local cop with dun laps disease
and mirrored shades.

Flatlander's do not not get me started! (JK).

It just seems to me that the rest of the country does not care to know that we exist.

Wing-Nut

posted on Feb, 16 2008 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by DimensionalDetective

Haha...Vermont is at it again. First the Bush impeachment movement, now an independence movement riding on the coat tail of the Kosovo situation. This should be sure to fire up some debates!

news.yahoo.com

[edit on 15-2-2008 by DimensionalDetective]

What might sound funny to you, for other people is years of sufferance, death, genocide and monstrous crimes. Kosovo deserves the independence more then any other place on Earth. Kosovo deserves to be treated as a example of the injustice imposed by the superpowers in the WWI. That's what happen when big and powerful countries decide little countries fate. It was like a poker game for the superpowers of that time meanwhile thousand lost their lives, homes and took the exile for decades, spreading allover the world. And the superpowers sat down and watched the product of their hand, maybe laughing at the people's death. What a shame

I can't believe there is still people who wanna laugh at this horrible part of the modern history. Shame!!!

posted on Feb, 16 2008 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Go Vermont go!!

If only there were enough of us native Floridians to get an independence movement started here. Maybe I could find the other two of them and we could talk about it.

Independence sure sounds nice!

posted on Feb, 16 2008 @ 02:02 PM
link   
The Kosovo experience has been no light one, we all know that. the covoluted and violent history of the whole region is well known. I do not think anyone is making light of it. The problem is that if one side (the West) goes around and starts declaring big chunks of other peoples nations independent what is to stop the other side from doing the same thing? This could be a big fricking deal real quick.

Remember, World War one started for essentially the same reasons and regions that we are discussing now. All the great Empires taking sides over the independence of a small Balkan country while at the same time jockeying for control of the world's natural resources...

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 12:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Telos

well if you use that point of view , i would like to propose the following
every people that has been persecuted , killed , maimed ...name it, should get it's own country
e.g. the bretons (France) , the Basques (France) , the Berbers (North Africa), the Kabyls (North Africa), the Kurds (all over the place) , the Saami (second class citizens in three countries for quite some time), the Aborigenes (Australia), The Karen (Burma, Thailand),the Rom (gypsies),the hundreds of tribes all across the american continents (north and south), the hundreds of tribes across the african continent (it's probably closer to the thousands)
and you could go on forever .
I fact i will claim a part of Italy , after all the Romans invaded my country and were not the kindest , and later Rome sent missionaries to destroy our ancestral faith and establish a reign of religious terror.
and if you want to push that even a bit more you can even start considering religious groups or sexual preference
"gayland" would be THE fashion and party place i guess (no i'm not homophobic , it was meant as a harmless joke , thank you )

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hvitserk
reply to post by Telos

well if you use that point of view , i would like to propose the following
every people that has been persecuted , killed , maimed ...name it, should get it's own country

Well I see your bitterness most likely comes from the slavian crib but what your saying is not what it is. Dardania (Kosovo is the ugly name serbs called that land) has been, it is and will always be ALBANIA. Not matter how much serbs and others who wrongfully supported them might feel sorry about. You can speculate and try to manipulate history for a while. But comes a day that things get settled in the way they should be. There is a say: Truth might dealy but never forgets.

Happy Independence Dardania (Kosovo)

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 07:24 AM
link   
if it is Albania as you state , then maybe they should have joined Albania instead of creating another enclave of assisted misery on this planet.
Kossovo is technically just another Biafra.
As for this country's name, why is it named Kossovo by Albanians if it is Dardania ? (reminds me of that north Italian seccessionist invention called Padania)
As for supporting Serbs, i support them just as much as Albanians, and that would be not at all.
It looks like my english is not as good as i thought and i didn't get my point across .
Let's wait and see how the world will react to the Albanian Greek minority when they secceed.
Truckload of new countries ahoy captain !

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hvitserk
if it is Albania as you state , then maybe they should have joined Albania instead of creating another enclave of assisted misery on this planet.
Kossovo is technically just another Biafra.
As for this country's name, why is it named Kossovo by Albanians if it is Dardania ? (reminds me of that north Italian seccessionist invention called Padania)
As for supporting Serbs, i support them just as much as Albanians, and that would be not at all.
It looks like my english is not as good as i thought and i didn't get my point across .

They can't join Albania right now. And if you knew a little bit more from Balkan history then the answer would have been clear. All superpowers and decision makers are some how 'afraid' of what they call Big Albania which IMO is a stupid definition because there is no such thing as Big Albania. That's the reason why they are not allowed to use the same flag, even though for the moment they carry the same flag as Albania.

About the country's name, is not called Kosovo by albanians but has been named like that by serbs. And at that point wasn't much about the name. When you have to deal with genocide, oppression, humiliation and denying of the minimum of human rights, the name wouldn't have changed anything. The historical name of that place is Dardania and I bet everything I have that soon you'll see that name used, instead of Kosovo.

Let's wait and see how the world will react to the Albanian Greek minority when they secceed.

See my friend, this is the problem. Misinformation or willingly perpetrated disinformation. There is no such a thing as albanian greek minority. If I understood right you're talking about greek minority in Albania? If it's so then let me tell you how the facts are. I'm from Albania and God punishes me if my statements are false or lies. There is a very little greek community in Albania, not more then 30-50 thousands people mainly in the southern and south western part of the country. They have all the rights, all the opportunities, have their schools ( I mean in greek language), have their representatives in the Albanian Parliament and Government and also have their rights to their nationality and religion. Now let's check the other side of the coin: The albanian community in Greece. Do you have any idea how many they are living in Greece, not only in the recent 20 years but for more then 2 centuries? The so called arvanitas, they who started and made the greek revolution and the resistance against Ottoman Empire? You have any idea how many islands are inhabited by albanians more then 500 years in those places? And tell me, how many schools in albaniain language do you know exist in Greece? How many rights do they have to use their language, tradition and costumes? Have you ever heard about Cameria region in north western Greece? All albanians, all land belonging to albanians, property, goods, all of them. Where is that now? Go back 60 years ago and maybe you'll learn about the horrible greek genocide against cam population.

My friend Balkan is a mess and you know why? Because of what and how serbs and greeks have manipulated history with the benediction of big countries like Russia, Germany, France and England. If this injustice was stopped back then, today Balkan would have been right and without conflicts. When you start manipulating history, this are the fruits you get and that's how bitter those taste. But there is still time to correct things. And Kosovo was the first step. The second one would be Cameria.

Take care.

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 04:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Telos

There is no such a thing as albanian greek minority. If I understood right you're talking about greek minority in Albania?

exactly what i meant in my post, it seems my english is far from being as good as i thought
so yes , that's exactly what i wanted to point at
thank you sooooo much for "correcting" it

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 08:47 PM
link   
The South tried real hard at that and they got it handed to them. Same thing will happen to that bald guy and any secessionists. If you look at the constitution of the USA, it takes a very strong view against secessionist movements. Most likely that old man will be hanging from some lamp post with a rope paid for by Uncle Sam.

Vermont is no Kosovo and the US is not Serbia.

[edit on 21-2-2008 by IAF101]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join