It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

religious education to be expanded?

page: 1

join
share:
kim

posted on Dec, 17 2002 @ 06:40 AM
link   
theres been talk of developing religious education in schools to beyond the "normal" christians, jewish, muslim etc. these would include paganism and the new popular scientology- backed by tom cruise and john travolta, though i dont have a clue what its about.
this must be a really good idea. too many ppl are ignorant and closed minded. im sure weve got a long way to go before wicca is taught so the negative stereotype of witches is diminished but its a start.
any commments?

posted on Dec, 17 2002 @ 07:07 AM
link   
be careful of ~exactly~ what they are talking about. certainly paganism was covered in my RE classes years ago. however, in britain there was a push a little while back to expand religious schools, effectively segregating the different religious groups into different schools. i am entirely against this.

- qo.

posted on Dec, 17 2002 @ 07:46 AM
link   
I think studying theologys and cultures in schools is an excellent concept so long as it is done from an academic stand point and not in the context of worship.

If people want to worship they can do it behind closed doors where I don't have to see them and they're not exposing my kids to their abhorant behaviour.

posted on Dec, 17 2002 @ 08:39 AM
link   
hmmm ... just had a thought on that. carol f*cking singers .... i bet money i'd be arrested if i wrote out some satanic songs and went round knocking on peoples' doors and singing them. definitely get arrested if i stood in the center of town and sung them.... grrrrrr....

- qo.

posted on Dec, 17 2002 @ 12:26 PM
link   
It would make for a great laugh and if you came to my house I would give you all the hot chocolate you could consume!!!

And no, I am not a devil worshipper

posted on Dec, 17 2002 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kim
scientology- backed by tom cruise and john travolta, though i dont have a clue what its about.

I do not think Scientology is sane enough to be allowed in Public Schools. You thought Jesus being the son of God was bad, wait till you hear about Sceintology's beliefs. It's more rooted in Aliens than in religion.

Crazy religion, it wouldn't be a problem IF!!! L. Ron Hubbard, the creator, were not whacked. It's probably mellowed down now, now that it is safe enough to say Hubbard is dead. But boy when he was alive....he's had scandals of trying to put members into offices of the Government to compile information on the Government, among other "enemies". Picture Mormonism, only today, very paranoid in its beginnings.

Hubbard finally retreated to an empty Freight Ship only allowed to be visited by the highest of the order, and eventually disappeared altogether. When his son tried to seize his assets, in 1983 I believe, his mother brought a document that was accepted as being Hubbard's writing that said he was still alive. But no one knows where the hell he is.

Read up on it historically it is quite oddball, like any thing though it doesn't teach bad stuff, just it chooses to teach it through aliens, and I think our souls migrated here from some planet....

Sincerely,
no signature

posted on Dec, 17 2002 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lupe
If people want to worship they can do it behind closed doors where I don't have to see them and they're not exposing my kids to their abhorant behaviour.

Not that I'm religious, but how can you say Worship is Abhorent? To reverse the situation, you should stay behind closed doors so that worshiping people do not have to look at your abhorent non-worshippingness.

And you could arrest carollers for singing, if you complained, gave them a warning that their singing was annoying you, then you could call the cops and complain and they'd be forced to leave.

Which is probably what would have to happen to Satanists, they'd have to leave, not be arrested.

Sincerely,
no signature

posted on Dec, 17 2002 @ 07:26 PM
link   
What a hilarious notion: I'm chuckling just contemplating it! (LOL is I believe the code among the younger set).

posted on Dec, 17 2002 @ 07:28 PM
link   
consider yourself fortunate that you do not have a clue about L. Ron, Dianetics, Scientology and the rest -candidate for "most dreadful of the dreadful & crook of crooks".
And should anyone ask if you have ever "gone clear" -smite 'em.

posted on Dec, 17 2002 @ 07:39 PM
link   
But everyone sure seems to enjoy the notion of Christmas and the Christmas holidays.

Oops, how politically incorrect of me, the "Holiday Season".

Put up a sign in your yard requesting carolers stay away (as if there are that many nowadays). I'm sure they'll honor your wishes as, from what I've been reading here lately, we Christians are much more tolerant than most non-believers that have been speaking their mind.

If it makes anyone any happier, remember that Christmas is actually a mixture of paganistic rituals with Christ thrown in.

And don't forget Halloween, for you Americans and others that have this thrust upon you, a day that is totally anti-Christian yet stupid Christians look forward to. Demand this day to be recognized day, days off and all.

posted on Dec, 17 2002 @ 11:41 PM
link   
You may have a wry smile, Thomas; but it's as bad elsewhere:there are towns and many schools in England where the local apparatchiks have banned Christmas lights and plays and carol services for fear they offend our ethnic minority brethren.
We await a reciprocal gesture from Riyadh.

[Edited on 18-12-2002 by Estragon]

posted on Dec, 17 2002 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Christians are more tolerant? are you kidding me?

kim

posted on Dec, 18 2002 @ 06:48 AM
link   
Which is probably what would have to happen to Satanists, they'd have to leave, not be arrested QUOTE

again, society shows that it has a firm grip on what is "wrong" or "right"- what bull. I agree that an academic approach would be best for schools- not exactly a good idea saying"today children were going to do a black mass (!)". there needs to be more awareness. i dont want to walk down a corridor and be called a satanist-( im not,im just not completely against them although some of their ideas are mingin). ppl just dont know what one is.
ill definately join you for that Q1
oh the scared little faces as they hear " ding dong evilly in hell" heh heheh

FM, scientology does sound weird- migrated from another planet? well, i guess a virgin birth sounds just as crazy.

posted on Dec, 18 2002 @ 07:37 AM
link   
L.Ron.Hubbard

if you want to know about scientology go google search him a bit.

posted on Dec, 18 2002 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Probably the most informative site on the net (and the classic one) on Scientology is "operation Clambake." The docs and info have been authenticated (even the weirf stuff) -- by the Church of Scientology itself.

The Church has sued Clambake a number of times trying to get their church documents removed from the Clambake site. Clambake tracks lawsuits and news items on the Scientologists trying to hush up certain things (like the deaths of some of their members.)

Fascinating reading about a RL bunch that really DO want to rule your lives and so forth:
www.xenu.net...

kim

posted on Dec, 19 2002 @ 06:38 AM
link   
WOAAAAAHHHH- ok thats nasty. but i hope they go back to teaching paganism and other *sane* religions

posted on Dec, 20 2002 @ 01:53 PM
link   
That's funny. At my old address, I used to get an awful lot of door to door evangelists. It got to the point where it was really annoying, so I changed my approach to answering the door, and came up with a way to have some fun at it...

I'd answer, and then immediately start in on them with this just for laughs....

"Satan is our true father. Though he was cast down from heaven, he shall raise his armies, and take the throne from the old man, and his bastard son! Be gone from my sight infidels!"

You know, they must have completely took me off some master list, because after only a couple times of doing that, I was never visited again, hehe....

Scientology...I live in the Scientology capital of the world. Nothing more than amateur psychiatry interwoven with sci-fi. Read Dianetics (though just the first couple chapters, as the rest is pretty much just repeating the same thing), and you'll pretty much get the overview. Basic idea is that everything bad in your life is the result of an engram (something bad that happened to you while you were in an unconscious state). By attending Scientology "classes" you can learn how to rid yourself from these engrams, and become a "clear", and be more successful in life. What a laughable idea....

Anyhow, I'm not of any religion. Having grown up as more of a citizen of the world, I was exposed to many religions and cultures. I do study religion though, as it's a pretty fascinating subject.

posted on Dec, 21 2002 @ 01:09 AM
link   
Cthulhu Mythos! Cthulhu Mythos!

And Responding to door-to-door preachers dressed in a black cloack with white makeup, a ritual knife in one hand and a goblet filled with blood in the other

top topics

join