It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are ATS members predominantly liberal?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 11:57 AM
link   
In browsing through ATS, the breaking news stories as well as other areas, I'm noticing which types of threads seem to gain attention the most... as well as which types of comments seem to get starred most often. It seems to me that the ATS community is predominantly liberal, left-wing, democrat, whatever you want to call it.

Do you feel Republicans and conservatives are a very teeny tiny small minority around this place or do I have the wrong impression of things...?

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 12:18 PM
link   
I think you will find that most people on ATS are open minded and take offence at being "categorized" in such ways.

I think a better question is why you persist in pigeonholing people into arbitrarily applied labels that are used by the powers that be and the media to divide and conquer us.

A label is a tool of control that serves to short-circuit any kind of logical reasoning about each issue on it's own merits. Depending on the issue each person has positions that can range the entire spectrum of what someone like you would label "left" or "right".

I also find it interesting that you put this in the US politics forum - home and ground zero of the left/right cultural divide.

Spend some time here and free your mind.

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 12:26 PM
link   

I tend to agree with you on this point....I'm independant and I basically try to look at all sides of an issue before finalizing my opinion. I don't think ATS members are liberal or conservative......curious yes! In search of truth? yes!

[edit on 15-2-2008 by realmatrix]

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 12:27 PM
link   
I happen to notice many who would be more "Conservative"... On a forum like this, it is easy to identify with those who would prefer a much smaller government, with much less contol over our daily lives.

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gools
I think a better question is why you persist in pigeonholing people into arbitrarily applied labels that are used by the powers that be and the media to divide and conquer us.

Touchy touchy, quite defensive there Gools... your comment definitely has the ring of something a liberal would say.

So yeah, you kind of just proved my point.

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Bachelor

You just proved a point yourself.

I'll leave it to the membership to work out what it is.

Have a good day.
I won't waste any more of your time... or mine.

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Gools

Wow such thinly veiled venom and malice dripping off that...

Someone sure seems to have a splinter in their foot.

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Wow yourself.

Right after I tell you that people take offence at being labelled around here and I ask you an innocent question about why you want to do that, you turn around and persist by labelling me a liberal.

Have you ever even heard of the word IRONY?

Like I said, I'm not going to waste my time trying to have a logical and reasoned conversation with you. It's clear (to me at least) that you are either not very well enlightened, bored or just looking for conflict.

Since you like the labels so much, I'm sure many people reading this will have a 'label' for you after this little exchange.

Way to make a first impression.

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Gools

Sheesh... such negativity from you...

Are you always like this?

I feel like you're attacking me.

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Bachelor, an opinion was stated. Did you seriously start this thread for a worthless argument? Sorry I took the bait and gave an opinion also. I didn't realize I was walking into someone's trap.

Calm down

[edit on 15-2-2008 by LostNemesis]

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 01:11 PM
link   
I just think it's interesting that I'm being attacked.

And by a moderator that's also encouraging other people to attack me.

Wow really gives me some great first impressions.

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bachelor
I just think it's interesting that I'm being attacked.
And by a moderator that's also encouraging other people to attack me.
Wow really gives me some great first impressions.

I don't think the mod was encouraging anyone to attack you...just voicing an opinion!
I think you will find that as you travel to the various area of ATS,BTS,PTS, you will find that people gennerally are seeking the truth in the issues they are discussing, weather they be liberal, conservative, or alien! IMO

[edit on 15-2-2008 by realmatrix]

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by realmatrix

"Since you like the labels so much, I'm sure many people reading this will have a 'label' for you after this little exchange." That's what the mod wrote... if you can't tell that's an encouragment for people to attack me then your powers of observation aren't too keen. It was a very tasteless comment for a mod to make; Clearly there was an agenda there or it wouldn't have been said.

As for the rest of your comment, cool, I'm glad to hear that.

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 01:21 PM
link   

It's all in how you see it.....perception is 99% of reality!

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by realmatrix

That was a one-line post...

But I agree with what you said, I like the way you put that.

Oh and I love the little cool face you put at the end.

Smileys in sunglasses so rock!

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Enuf!

Stay on topic please

Moderators here at ATS are allowed to voice thier opinons here at ATS. please review the following thread:

Mod Note: Moderators Are People Too – Please Review This Link.

Now please stay on topic. If you have issues or questions file a complaint.

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
Now please stay on topic. If you have issues or questions file a complaint.

Thank you! Now maybe I'll stop being attacked.

Back on topic...

I feel there is an overwhelming liberal mentality here.

posted on Feb, 17 2008 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Gools - Thank you for your first response on this thread. I really can't understand why people, in general, have the need to categorize other people. Why does someone have to be a conservative or a liberal, a republican or a democrat and if they're a democrat why are they immediately thought to be a liberal and if a republican, conservative. Why can't we just be humans actually "thinking" and seeking answers?

Sorry, back on topic.

Bachelor,

So, tell me, what makes you feel that ATS is overwhelmingly liberal? Can you post some examples of what you have read that has led you to believe that?

Ta,

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 10:55 AM
link   
ATS is liberal and paranoid. The paranoid part is more of a nuisance to me than the liberal part. I have come to expect the liberal side to dominate most ATS topics, especially political threads. I know president Bush catches a lot of flak on this site but I have often wondered how different things would be if this was Bill Clinton's War on Terror. When Bill Clinton attacked Yugoslavia I don't remember the same liberals being all that upset over the war. They rationalized it as something that must be done to help those people. That is something that will never happen with a republican war.

Anyway, do not get me wrong. I hate conservative and liberals equally. Anyone who picks a position on an issue or votes for a president based on party lines is a gigantic fool in my opinion. Examine each issue for yourself and come to the best conclusion without partisanship, anger, paranoia and fear. But do no let the sometimes overwhelming nature of some extreme liberal posters stop you from expressing your ideas.

top topics

join