It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

England's New Super-Carriers

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 03:44 PM
link   
The aft island is on the barge, attached to the tugs & currently underway from Scotstoun (Glasgow) down the River Clyde. Here's a photo from earlier tonight, the dusk is here so it's not the greatest photo unfortunately. It should take a few days to get around the Scottish coast to Rosyth, maybe a week, depending on the sea state.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by LeBombDiggity

Just posting cause this thread has grown on me and I want to have it in myats. Keep up the pics!

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by boomer135

Here's another just for you

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Nice!

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Hmmmm. Looks pretty expensive to me. I suppose the citizens of England can afford to pay for this. They can raise the price of petro a buck or two and noone will complain.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 12:40 PM
link   
The aft island will (seemingly) arrive at Rosyth at approx 11.00-12.00rs GMT tmorro, the sea states have been calm so it's made good progress around the coast.

Some more pics .... and a video ! These are of the barge carrying the aft island leaving the Firth of Clyde. Scotland is a beautiful country isn't it ?

Great site too here with very many high res pics that I'm unable to upload here due to memory limitations on ATS uploads.

www.riverclydephotography.org...

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 03:17 PM
link   

yes it is when it's not pissing down

nice pic of it going past Dumbarton Rock and Castle

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 12:30 PM
link   
The aft island has arrived at Rosyth. There it will be fitted to HMS Queen Elizabeth.

Here is a photo of it passing underneath the Forth Bridge.

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 01:19 PM
link   
The aft island should hopefully be attached to the deck of HMS Queen Elizabeth early as this week to come. Sponson 10 forward has seemingly been installed, haven't seen any pics of that unfort.

I'm as guilty as anyone else but we've kinda forgotten about sister ship HMS Prince of Wales, construction of which is also underway. I'll post more of her next week.

Meanwhile light carrier HMS Ark Royal has reached the end of her life. She has arrived in Turkey to be scrapped.

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Here is a shot of the barge coming in under the Forth Road Bridge.

And the aft island has today been moved from the barge and onto the quayside. Her 750 tons will be lifted into position on the deck of HMS Queen Elizabeth later this week hopefully, then we'll get a better idea of quite how radical this big ship is going to look.

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Hello friends

Here is this weeks build diagram. Sponson 10F is the addition this week, hopefully this time next week we'll have the aft island on the next diagram.

Also here is another pic from Rosyth showing the aft island being made ready for it's lift onto the deck.

I'm working on some data for HMS Prince of Wales but unfort due to domestics / kids school holidays that will have to wait now until the middle of next week, sorry about that.

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Late news ... reliably advised the aft island is being lifted onto the deck of HMS Queen Elizabeth tonight

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 08:18 AM
link   
They must've left it until daylight hours ... because the aft island has just been placed on the deck.

So ... any thoughts on the HMS Queen Elizabeth now the two islands are installed ?

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 11:26 AM
link   
And another ...

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 11:00 AM
link   
65,000 tonnes of British diplomacy.

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Nice

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 06:21 PM
link   
As soon as I saw that design I knew it was specifically designed for VTOL aircraft. I didn't look through every single page to check if this had been posted already, but this is the aircraft this warship will be carrying...

This one single carrier will have the firepower of an entire battlegroup of WWII. Slow speed cruising for ground attack and assault support, high speed cruising to engage enemy aircraft, and helicopters to ferry troops ashore and conduct anti submarine countermeasures. I wouldn't doubt it in the least that this thing had the latest anti ship missile defense capabilities as well.

What seafaring nation wouldn't want something like this?

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 08:07 PM
link   
So are all the pieces in place now?

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by boomer135

See build diagram above, fairly self explanatory.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Build diagram 1st Juillet 2013.

Also the director of the construction program has said that HMS Queen Elizabeth will be "structurally complete" before the end of 2013. That is good news, presumably it means the ship can clear the dock while sister ship HMS Prince of Wales is constructed.

www.defencemanagement.com...

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join