It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Britain Now Bows to China as Athletes are Forced to Sign No Criticism Contracts

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2008 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Britain Now Bows to China as Athletes are Forced to Sign No Criticism Contracts

www.dailymail.co.uk

The BOA took the decision even though other countries – including the United States, Canada, Finland, and Australia – have pledged that their athletes would be free to speak about any issue concerning China.

To date, only New Zealand and Belgium have banned their athletes from giving political opinions while competing at the Games.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
afp.google.com
news.ninemsn.com.au
www.telegraph.co.uk
sport.guardian.co.uk

posted on Feb, 10 2008 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Even though the Olympics should not be a place for politics, I don't really think the British Olympic Association (BOA) should have gone as far as having their athletes sign a gag order in order to compete in the Olympics in China!

Ah, freedom of speech at its best!

I'm sure every athlete that will be going to China knows its record of human rights abuses.

I don't know for sure how China will react if athletes do start making comments about the human rights abuses going on in China, but I believe as soon as an athlete does start making comments that China will automatically and swiftly have them on a flight out of their country.

But it should be up to the individual athlete to decide if they want to risk that, the right to freedom of speech should not be infringed upon.

www.dailymail.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 10/2/08 by Keyhole]

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 06:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Keyhole

My opinions on this are a little different.
The way I look at it is every time a citizen of a country visits another country, no matter what for, they do represent there country. Because of that I think every one who does visit another country should be ready to have an opinion on things such as political matters. That does not mean it is ok to try to stir up a crowd of people and start a riot. It is just a matter of having some knowledge of what is happening so you don't come across as a dumb bump on a log when you are talking with the people of the country you are visiting.

join