It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm going to call shenanigans on A Haunting.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2008 @ 11:09 AM
link   
On the Discovery Channel's "A Haunting" series, paranormal experiences of families across North America are recounted with dramatic re-enactments interspersed with personal testimony from the families. As such, the series is purportedly "based on true stories." However, I just finished watching an episode that documented the haunting of one particular house in which there was the spirit of a small boy, several other various unnamed spirits, and an inhuman, allegedly demon, entity that called itself Seth. In a seance, the name S-E-T-H was spelled out, and when asked when Seth was alive, he replied N-E-V-E-R.. also using the pointer (sorry, don't know the correct name
) to point towards some camera equipment they had set up. They immediately reviewed the footage and saw the figure of Seth. Also, when psychics came to do a reading on the house, they were allegedly "attacked" (so to speak) by Seth. They described his figure as completely inhuman, and the show depicted him with stony, scaly blue-grey skin and black voids for eyes - he was also wearing a Grim Reaper-like robe. Eventually the psychics exorcised the house and demon expressed his lack of consent by moving objects around the house rapidly, etc in a display of power, but eventually left.

Now, this seems like both a shocking and terrifying story, but I'm going to call B.S. on it. I have a budding interest in demonology and had never heard the name Seth used in a "demonic" sense outside the Biblical Seth or the Egyptian god Seth. I checked lists of demons in both the Ars Goetia AND the Pseudomonarchia Daemonum, and neither listed a demon named Seth. I even went so far as to just plain Google it, and the words "Seth" and "demon" are never used to describe one another (the things I find are always of a guy named Seth talking about demons, or something of the like).

Is Discovery guilty of making up this supposedly true story for ratings, or is Seth just some previously unknown demon that this family has allegedly had experiences with? I'd like to know your opinions

Edits for various spelling/grammar errors...

[edit on 9-2-2008 by Trappestine]

posted on Feb, 9 2008 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Well since you are interested in Demonology I am sure you are familiar with how deceitful demonic entities are supposed to be. I agree though, I have never heard Seth used in any story before, obviously outside of a biblical sense. If the "attacks" only progressed to objects moving about the home it is certainly possible that the entity had not entirely revealed itself at that point.

Another possibility is that the Producers of the show simply changed the name to something more recognizable to every-day viewers, i.e. Seth. Laymen would probably have trouble remembering names such as Samigina.

But overall I agree with you, A Haunting while interesting, seems more fiction than fact.

posted on Feb, 9 2008 @ 11:40 AM
link   
if there are demons, what would give you the reason to believe
humans have written down every name for them?
the unknown is much more vast then the known.

[edit on 9-2-2008 by last time here]

posted on Feb, 9 2008 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Seth Speaks courtesy of channeler Jane Roberts. Any of her books is a strange journey.

posted on Feb, 9 2008 @ 12:01 PM
link   
I would agree that almost all of the actual footage on such shows are BS purely because most of them are doing it for ratings and IMO those psychics who make it to the screen have either very little skill or have lost it because they are doing it for money (thats my take on it).

It's like Derrik Akora or whatever his name is, he's been caught out so many times its not funny, but my grandmother, who's fairly good at reading cards and has had some weird experiences herself, feverently believes he's the real deal, and won't even listen to reason about him.

I've also an interest in angelology and daemonology (being a Christian), and I've never heard of anything related to Seth (bear in mind have you searched for the name in the original Hebrew?), other than the 'mark' was turning him into a type of daemon that inhabits the desert (akin to a bigfoot) I forget the name of said daemon at the moment unfortunately but they're seemingly related to Lilim and might be Baalim, but I could be very wrong. It's essentially a big hairy daemon that inhabits deserts and wildernesses and therefore looks a bit like BF to my mind for it to be a coincidence.

IMO that's complete crap however, Seth the biblical was and is human, and the mark may not even be visible to humans, just that we cannot harm him.

So, I agree, its complete twaddle IMO and none of it is real in the footage they show on telly and most of it is either the cameraman or somesuch throwing spoons at people. The best haunting video I've seen that I think is the real deal is the one where there's a dude in an attic and nearly gets hung (it was in the US), if anyone can remember the case, I'd love a U2U please. It was a paranormal investigator and friend, not a TV show type 'haunting' they just videoed it at the time.

posted on Feb, 9 2008 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Thanks for your contribution guys

Yes, I agree - the stories may have been "based" on actual events, but we all know that means that 10% of it may have been real and the rest is for show.

Another explanation I thought of is as such: In the Ars Goetia it is said that each demon prince/marquis/president rules over a number of legions of demons. Perhaps Seth is merely one of the demons in one of these legions ruled by a demonic prince, and that's why none of us have ever heard of Seth in a demonic sense.

It would also explain Seth's willingness to inhabit a human home for whatever purpose (assuming the story has any validity to it whatsoever) as beings further up in the hierarchy wouldn't waste their time on human affairs.

PS. Groingrinder, I came across those books in my searches - and although it seems very interesting indeed, I'm not so sure that this "Seth" as a spiritual guide is the same as the entity that this family claims to have experienced.. but who knows!

posted on Feb, 9 2008 @ 01:51 PM
link   
On the very interesting subject of all the demon's names already being written down. It's quite possible they are all written down. I mean, in history people used to dabble in this sort of thing a lot more than we do now, and demons surely want a lot of publicity for widespread fear and influence. What does anybody else think?

posted on Feb, 9 2008 @ 02:47 PM
link   
I think the show is entertaining nonetheless.

You never know. I'm sure some of it was fabricated. Maybe all of it. Remember that KGB UFO FILES REVEALED show that was on I forget which channel? That was a complete fabrication for ratings, disguised as truth. Apparently, there was a disclaimer that stated it was for entertainment value only that appeared at the end for like a second or two. Somebody should check and see if there is a disclaimer at the end of that show, also.

posted on Feb, 9 2008 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Good call, I'll keep my eyes open next time I catch it on.
Although the show claims to be based on actual events, so you would figure at least a grain of truth...

posted on Feb, 10 2008 @ 11:07 AM
link   
ha ha. i love the internet. full of garbage

Now, this seems like both a shocking and terrifying story, but I'm going to call B.S. on it. I have a budding interest in demonology and had never heard the name Seth used in a "demonic" sense outside the Biblical Seth or the Egyptian god Seth

sooooo, you have an interest in demonolgy, and you say you have never read anything, or heard anything about a demon named seth. so what does that mean exactly? ...........................

nothing of course

I even went so far as to just plain Google it, and the words "Seth" and "demon" are never used to describe one another (the things I find are always of a guy named Seth talking about demons, or something of the like)

so you didnt find anything in your cute little books on demons, and you didnt find anything on google about a seth demon, and that means that their story is a complete lie. are you serious?

So, I agree, its complete twaddle IMO and none of it is real in the footage they show on telly and most of it is either the cameraman or somesuch throwing spoons at people. The best haunting video I've seen that I think is the real deal is the one where there's a dude in an attic and nearly gets hung (it was in the US), if anyone can remember the case, I'd love a U2U please. It was a paranormal investigator and friend, not a TV show type 'haunting' they just videoed it at the time

if you are referring to the show, a haunting, then you do know that those are actors telling the story of the people, and any spoons thrown are not really being thrown by a ghost.

is it possible that all the demon names were written down, and there is no possible way for them to call themselves something else? no, its a name. thats it. ITS A NAME. christ.

ill check for a disclaimer also. the show is entertaining though. i just figured i would give my two cents in a thread that says a show is a hoax because the demon said his name is seth, and the op has never came across that name in his books on demonology, or on google. thats beyond stupid. again, its just a name. are you saying a demon has no free will to say a different name? its no different than if i go to a bar and say my name is steve, when its really edward.

in my opinion, human beings are so easily manipulated. so quick to rally against something based on a stupid assumption, like, this is all fake because i have never read or heard that name before. thats a small example, but its just another small example amongst millions of other small examples, and larger well known examples of how easy it is to rally folks against someone, or something, and manipulate them.

Mod Note: General ATS Discussion Etiquette – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 11-2-2008 by TheBorg]

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Daemons generally won't give you their name yes, because to them a name is power, but they can be compelled to and many of these names have been recorded by past magickal workers. As to whether the names and daemons are real, well thats your choice, but I have no reason to discount these books unless they are proven to be fiction, given that many were written by 'researchers' into daemons rather than as a manual for others to conjour their own - they wrote the names and ritual sigils down so they could use them again rather than for other's use per-say.

So, given that no mention of a Seth has been noted in the older books, where the church itself was interested and occasionally paid for 'research' into the names and dominions of daemons, its possible that no such daemon existed THEN, but that's not to say it doesn't now, but I agree, its unlikely that Seth is its real name, but I was just saying I'd never heard of it and I've read a few grimoire in my time either.

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 11:17 AM
link   
To the original post at the top about the demon named "Seth".

The truth about demons is that they have no truth in them.

All throughout the Bible, war was raged on the lineage that came from Adam, thru Seth.

When you note that the first son of Eve, was Cain, and Cain murdered his brother, Abel,....the next son that was ordained, was Seth.

Ever since, Satan has waged his deception, in trying to ruin, what he knows will ultimately, come to pass.

I do believe in this airing, that when the demon said he had never been alive, this was true. That is what a demon is. A fallen angel, who followed Lucifer in his rebellion in heaven....he persuaded 1/3 of the angels to follow him, and in thier awful and wicked state, they became demons.

Angels are angelic beings without bodies. Demons are angelic beings who followed Satan, and they also, do not have bodies.

So we have heavenly angels, in heaven, and we have demons, from the Satanic Realm. There are different levels of ranking in both.

The house in this episode, had prior Satanic rituals. These rituals invited and invoked the demon. Satan cannot be everywhere at once, so this demon was sent on his mission. In the event, this demon gave his REAL name, he would have been rebuked and sent out much quicker, and this demon knows this. There is only one way to send a demon back properly. By commanding thru the divine authority of God, and Jesus Christ who was sacrificed for the sins of mankind, and using the demons name.

"By the authority, of Jesus Christ who shed his blood on the cross, commands you ___________ (demon's name) to leave this house."

Without the demon's name, it is not futile, but very difficult. This is similar to evicting a person out of a home, without a name.

You cannot evict someone legally, without a proper name.

John 8:44
King James Bible
Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.

Additionally, because a demon's nature is to lie and deceive, they do this to intentionally.

Origin:
Satan, an angel, became the first sinner (1 John 3:8) and led a rebellion in heaven against God (Revelation 12:7).
In Satan's fall he drew a vast number of angels with him (Rev 12:4,9).

Involved in Warfare:
Satan and his demons now wage war against God's kingdom (Revelation 12:17).
Demonic forces wage war against every one of God's people (Ephesians 6:12). Whether we are aware of it or not, all believers are in spiritual warfare with demons. The question is not whether we will fight against demons, but rather how well. Demonic struggle is unavoidable for a Christian.
Some believers make the mistaken assumption that if they remain ignorant of the Biblical teaching regarding Satan and demons then Satan and his demons will "not bother them." But ignorance does not save us from the battle. It just means that when we get wounded we have no idea where the shot came from or how to avoid it in the future.

THE NATURE OF DEMONS:
The Bible clearly portrays them as personal beings. They have:
intellect (Mark 5:7),
knowledge (Acts 19:15),
emotion (Matthew 9:31; Mark 5:7; James 2:19),
self-awareness (Mark 5:9),
will (Matthew 8:31), and
ability to speak (Mark 1:24; 5:7-12; Acts 19:15).

To have a body means you do have authority over them, but only thru Jesus Christ, who was slain for mankind's sin. Demons know this, and if you note every demonic haunting episode, the demons forced to leave, were thru cleansing, or exorcisms, where they prayed and called on the power and authority of the Father in Heaven, thru Jesus Christ.

On a last note, I would not recommend exorcising demons. Always contact someone with experience in such matters

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 11:16 PM
link   
on the note of exorcising(sp) demons what about Indian shamans, because one of the episodes a woman exorcised a demon, i think by way of an indian ritual but im not completely sure. But what amazes me is the happy ending of the show, its like the demon was exorcised and everyone got back to normal

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 11:41 PM
link   
THese shows that are "based on true events" dont necessarily mean true to life. Look at "The Mothman Prophecies", a movie about documented phenomena and supposedly "based on true events". It was barely based on them, if you look up the actual accounts on the websites. Hollywood has to create a dramatic storyline that wil pace well and keep the veiwer interested. Scattered occurances of a "haunting" usually do not make a blockbuster. Anyone who knows the tales about the Tennessee Bell Witch and saw that stinker of a movie will understand what I am talking about.

And as to seances and demons- I have heard that spirits are not always truthful and play tricks upon those trying to get information from them- often they will tell someone they are a demon but are really deceased. I never understood why a demon would even have a name- they aren't people.

posted on Apr, 12 2008 @ 08:49 PM
link   
It might just be a code name. Some demon names cannot be said.

I dont watch that show much, so I cant say whether its real or not but if you want to see a show thats total BS, its called Paranormal State.

posted on Apr, 12 2008 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by dedicatednaturally

Your post is off topic, I edited mine cause it is not fair to the OP.

Now have you ever heard of 'Seth' in any of your 'religious brainwash sessions????'
I have not heard of 'seth' the demon, so I can not say if it is a hoax or not.
your guess is as good as mine ;shrug:

[edit on 12-4-2008 by constantine70]

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by constantine70

My post was actually quite on topic in regards to Seth, and Seth 'probably' not being a demons name.

There IS power in THE word. There is power in a NAME.

That is why sorcerers are surmised to invoke demons, and that is basically what Satanic rituals are, which IS what was performed in this house, in this episode.

Let's clarify what invoke means:

invoke

1490, from M.Fr. envoquer (12c.), from L. invocare "call upon, implore," from in- "upon" + vocare "to call," related to vox (gen. vocis) "voice" (see voice).

In the case a demon actually understands how things are CALLED or INVOKED into existence, it is fair to say they also know how things are named, and vocally forced into eviction.

e·vict
–verb (used with object) 1. to expel (a person, esp. a tenant) from land, a building, etc., by legal process, as for nonpayment of rent.
2. to recover (property, titles, etc.) by virtue of superior legal title.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Origin: 1400–50; late ME evicten < LL évictus having recovered one's property by law

In the event, that said Demon SETH knows by giving his real name, they could force him to leave that much sooner, why not hide, conceal, or lie about it?

There is an order to some things, wether you believe in them or not, is not my purpose in writing this.

After all Dear Constantine, by writing with a defensive tone is your choice. I respect everyone's beliefs. I've just seen this in action, and know what works, and alot of what does not.

There was a specific 'haunting' episode of a family living in Thailand where the house was literally designed to curse anyone living in it. Additionally, the house was haunted by victims burned in a fire that had a previous pig farm. Eventually, they called out a Thai or Asian priest, where he performed a ritual and offerred food and appeasing items dirctly to the haunting spirits, then mentioned it would "Keep things good for three months."

The family moved out shortly thereafter.

There are hundreds of temporary solutions to these types of house cleansings from negative energies.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by dedicatednaturally

Hello dedicatednaturally,
I am sorry, I think that the day that I posted in reply to you was a day that I was being judgemental. I am sure that I let other things that I have read from more 'fundimental boards' get to me and I thought.. oh no, not here too.. I am sorry, I am human and admit to my mistakes. I hope you find it inside you to forgive me. I will not let it happen again!

[edit on 22-4-2008 by constantine70]

[edit on 22-4-2008 by constantine70]

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Trappestine

Hey i`m not here to bust anybodys chops just to add some insight on this i have been doing some research on this demon myself because i too watched this particular show and studying demonolgy this is a high priorty on my list too study my brother inlaw is an expert in this field but i do not ask for is help he just gives me projects to research but this one i took upon my own to do and i hate to say it does exist www.mystae.com... follow this web site and you can read all about it just scroll down to set/seth the Egyptian God of Chaos true the egyptians cosidered him a god only because it falls under there religion and beleifs but u have too look past that we would see this as a demon brought forth by a sataic ritual..i suggest u watch this episode again and pay closer attention to what is going on and where it is all coming from which is the little boys room where the ritual was held....like i said im not here to bust anybodys chops on this just pay closer attention to the things that are going on and exzaust all your research options its pain staking at times and seems endless but it all pays off in the long run...i hope i have been able to shed some light and helpful hints on this matter

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 04:10 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join