It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Public schools developing plans for extended closings during emergencys

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2008 @ 12:06 AM
link   
I received this this letter today from my 5 year old daughters public school(commentary in next post):

Dear Parents,

The _ _ _ _ _ _ _ County School System is in the process of developing a plan to continue academic instruction if schools are required to close for an extended period of time during an emergency (such as severe weather, pandemic flu, interruption of electricity and/or water service, or other unforeseen situations). In order to develop our plan, it is necessary for us to determine the resources our families have at home for the following:

* getting lessons from the teacher
* getting help in understanding the lessons, if necessary, and
* returning lessons to the teacher

Please complete the survey on the back of this page and return to your child's teacher as soon as possible.

Survey:
Please check the boxes that describe the resources you have at home that could be used to continue instruction in the event that the schools must close during an emergency:
Radio
Newspaper (lists 6 different local papers with seperate boxes with a extra Other: )
Television
*Cable
*Satellite
VHS Player
DVD Player
Cassette tape player
CD player
Computer
Internet
Printer
IPOD or MP3 player
Email (then asks for email address)
Fax Machine (then asks for #)
Home telephone (then asks for #)
Cell Phone (then asks for #)
Does your phone have text messaging capability?
Other:

If your child needs help with their homework, will there be someone at home who can help them with work at their grade level? Your childrens home learning helpers could be a parent, sibling or other relative that either lives in the home or nearby. (Transportation services may be limited during an emergency) It may be possible for a relative or friend to help your child over the phone, if they are able to get copies of the lessons from the teacher. Please list your children and their home learning helpers below.

posted on Feb, 9 2008 @ 12:10 AM
link   
My skin crawled when I read the above letter today.
Scares me!
Is that all it is is more fear mongering? I don't know...
We live in Georgia so big snow storms are out of the question.
Was this a federally mandated program development?
Anybody else get letters like this?
Pandemic flu or other unforeseen emergencies?
What could shut down a school for an extended period, disrupt transportation but phones and electricity still functioned?
Are they being overly cautious or was this mandated from another level?

posted on Feb, 9 2008 @ 12:20 AM
link   
reply to post by SEEWHATUDO
[m

For me when I see something like this, I only wonder who is going to be looking at the information.

Some of the items listed are things that people take when they burgle your home. It's like asking you to advertise what is in your home, and none of their business. I would in fact write that on the survey and send it back.

It would be more beneficial for them to send out a letter telling people how items they listed could be used to benefit a child if such an emergency situation arised.

posted on Feb, 9 2008 @ 12:26 AM
link   
This raises bells with me too; but, not for the same reason as you.

First, it smacks of the intense effort by the government to know every bit of minutia about us ... including RFID chips in our underwear and EVERYTHING from food to your car tires. It's ridiculous.

Second and most important! This is NOT a contingency plan! A contingency plan for those events would be good for schools to have but notice ... they didn't ask you for call phone numbers, email address or anything else.

CD Players, VHS, MP3 Players? Now that's really off the wall for a homework assignment in my books!

Sounds like they want to identify all the hidden receivers and transponders and has nothing to do with assignment delivery.

I'd turn it into a paper airplane and return it blank.

posted on Feb, 9 2008 @ 01:10 AM
link   

You live in Georgia, home of the Center for Disease Control (CDC).

What more logical place to give rise to emergency contingincy planning than the very home of the "first-responder" in the event of a "managable emergency event".

No to scare you, or anyone else, but the emergence of a world-wide pandemic is currently considered by the medical community a matter more of "when" rather than an "if".

Many factors are working in concert, as a direct result of the underlaying structure of our modern world being more of a "global village", the net result being that the powers that be have begun to recognize the threat a fast moving contagion poses to civilization.

These contingency plans your child's school appear to be developing are just one of the more responsible actions our community agencies should be taking.

We should all be prepared to excercise self-reliance, at some level, should the need arise.

Because some day, in some way, whether we expect it or not, that need will arise.

posted on Feb, 9 2008 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Something is definitely up!

I posted a few days ago about a business that I am aware of that just issued detailed, multi-paged instructions as a contingency for a severe natural disaster or civic emergency. This company did not get this specific after 9/11 and the industry they are in has, on a few occasions in the past, been target of threats by Al Quaeda. Does anyone know of any other warnings, preparations, etc?

posted on Feb, 9 2008 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Also, it seems that I read on ATS a while back about Executive Orders in place regarding restrictions on travel if oil hits a certain $ amount. Given the recent cable-cuttings and speculation of something going down in the ME, maybe this is all prelude to something along those lines. Oil embargo anyone?

posted on Feb, 9 2008 @ 08:07 AM
link   
That is definitely a strange letter to receive home from school. We haven't received anything similar from either of my children's schools, but one thing that is making my skin crawl is the new "lockdown" drills they are doing at the 2 different schools my kids attend.

My oldest son is 15, so basically we've been dealing with the school system for about 11 years. Out of the blue, around October of this year, my kids came home talking about "Lockdown", and how they had to hide in their classrooms. I questioned the school the next day and was told they were doing Lockdown drills...basically, all doors into the school are locked, all classroom doors locked, and all students are designated a place to 'hide' (cloakroom, under desk etc). They said its a mandatory drill that all schools are doing here now in light of the school shootings, crime in our area etc.

I totally agree they should have some sort of plan in place...but as far as I can research, these school shootings started over 10 years ago. So either our school board is WAY behind the eight ball in implementing these plans, or there is deeper meaning behind these new drills.

The other thing that happened recently was in around September we received a pamphlet in the mail from our ministry of health about Pandemic Flu. In my 34 years of life we've never gotten anything in the mail from the ministry...not even when SARS was right on our doorstep. I know it could just be a normal way to get info out to the public, but it just seemed so sinister...especially the back of the pamphlet telling you to stock up on certain things because you may not be able to leave the house if a pandemic flu hits...something along those lines anyhow

Michelle

posted on Feb, 9 2008 @ 08:11 AM
link   
While it is a good idea to be prepared..I was thinking about work situations as well. they all should have a plan. For the record what state is the school in?

posted on Feb, 9 2008 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Michelle129

We have received several flyers this year about the flu and staph, which is unusual since there hasnt been a wide spread outbreak in Ga.
We live in a more rural than not town so I am leaning to this being a federal or state "development". In the next couple of months we are moving back to civilization because I feel the schools here are inadequate at best, I have a feeling this idea for preparing for emergency extended closing did not come from this county, it had to be state or federal.

I understand the CCC is in Atl. right now we are an hour from ATL, emergency weather? no snow here, sometimes we have a bad thunderstorm or two maybe a tornado.

I have lived in the Northern section of Georgia all my life, I am 32 years old, in all of the 24 years I was in Georgia schools (inc. UGA) we have never had anything like this. never, never, never.
And when flyers did go home when I was in school they were about lice or chicken pox, not deadly pandemics that will close schools down for extended periods.

I understand the other posters concern about privacy, the letter struck me that way too but first and most important concern are my childrens health and wellness. Then I will deal on my lack of privacy issues

posted on Feb, 9 2008 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Well, I think then to get to the bottom of why this was sent, it might be a good idea to get a hold of the school principal and ask straight out. Also, if you have a PTA there, you might inquire of them also.

I live in Louisiana, and we get emergency preparedness notices a couple of times a year, instructing what to do in event of disasters like hurricaines and such, even before Katrina. That sort of notice has never had anything in it about schools though, unless one is being used for an emergency shelter.

The other thought I had is what teacher is going to take on the responsibility of taking care of lessons while they might have their own family to look out after. However, I would tend to think that this all has to with transportation since it mentions the possibility of it not being available. So, it could be gas shortages are just around the corner.

I'm going to check with parents here in this state to see if their children have been sent home with this type of notice.

posted on Feb, 13 2008 @ 03:00 AM
link   

Public schools developing plans for extended closings during emergencys
My skin crawled when I read the above letter today.

If I had children I might be somewhat relieved.

When I was in school the disaster plans involved boarding up the schools with the kids inside and preventing parents from taking their children home.

I wonder why the change? Seems like it would be much easier to manipulate and control people and children both when they're separated.

posted on Feb, 13 2008 @ 04:34 AM
link   
It is a shame the government has to send out notices to it's citizens telling them to prepare for a problem.

DUH!!!!!!! Where has everybody been? Are you listening to the news, watching television, going on sites like ATS?

I've lived in Georgia for over 60 years. I share my time on the coast and in the Georgia mountains. My family has always prepared for disasters and I have carried on that practice. Just seems like good sense to me to be prepared for an extensive stay at home at some time or another.

We have always had plans to use in case of hurricanes here in south Ga. In North Georgia we have a generator and supply of necessary items because we have had and probably will have again ice storms.

I'll say again it's remarkable that people get their shoes on the proper feet. The masses of people are so stupid and need to be told what to do everyday. This is what scares me. And it's not a problem just in Georgia....it's nation wide.

My children and friends have laughed at me for years because of my survival attitude. They will be the first knocking on Mama's door in an emergency.

There are huge numbers of family's being supported by the state welfare system. I've noticed that the majority of these people rely on the government to practically tell them when to use the bathroom. They live their daily lives under the assumption that they must adhere to government regulations or they will be cut off from their food stamps, free health care, and monthly welfare checks. It's no wonder the government has to tell them they need to prepare for a disaster. But they won't prepare because they don't have the means or education to take care of themselves. This is why we have plans for containment camps. People are just too stupid to take matters into their own hands. The government will have to feed the masses in times of disaster so why not put them in one place. Protect them from their own ignorance.

Government notices to it's population are not a new idea. In south Ga. on the coast the government enlisted citizens as beach patrol to watch for enemy submarines. People also had to take special care of the use of lights at night during WW2. Victory gardens were grown and women gave up their silk stocking and undergarments for the war effort. In the 50's we prepared for war with Russia by doing bomb drills at school.

I'm wondering why it took our government so long to admit there could be a problem we need to prepare for.

Any NWO doesn't need to kill off our population. We will do it ourselves. Take away government assistance and people will starve or die trying to steal from those of us that have prepared for disasters.

Without disaster planning we will have mass hysteria, riots, and who knows what else. It won't be pretty.

It is advisable to have a family plan and make all family members aware of those plans. Again, just seems the natural thing to do to me. Be prepared, it could save your life and your children's lives.

top topics

join