It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1st Ammendment Protects Trolls too

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2008 @ 11:48 AM
link   

1st Ammendment Protects Trolls too

arstechnica.com

Anonymous trolls on the Internet are allowed to remain anonymous, a judge in a California appeals court ruled yesterday. Not only that, but they're allowed to exercise their First Amendment rights and speak their minds, no matter how scathing their comments may be.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
news.yahoo.com
www.courtinfo.ca.gov

posted on Feb, 8 2008 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Apparently forum trolls are not liable for libel, if I'm reading this correctly....

arstechnica.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 8 2008 @ 11:59 AM
link   
It's terrible fine balance ain't it? I support the anonymity of anyone wanting to speak their mind to the extend that what they are saying doesn't contain threats towards the person in question or are a determined witchhunt to destroy that persons life on the basis of knowingly false information

Taking away anonymity would be another step towards the removal of you guys' right to protest in the streets. Making you not wear masks and if you did put you in footlock and batter you with sticks till you obey.

But like I said, it's a fine balance. When is something a threat? When is something slander?
The statement by one of the "does" saying "...fake medical degree..." would in this case not be slander. It only amounts to a statement made in anger towards someone you really really don't like.

[edit on 8/2/08 by flice]

join